Colonel Joseph Crowshaw - birth problem

Started by Beth Golden on Sunday, July 28, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 23 posts
7/28/2019 at 12:36 AM

listed as son of Raleigh Croshaw but Raleigh is listed as being born in 1570, so this can't be right. Is there further research not yet included on this profile? Thanks!

Private User
7/28/2019 at 9:34 AM

John Croshaw (1517 - 1620)
15th great-grandfather

Joseph Raleigh Croshaw I Captain (1535 - 1624)
Son of John Croshaw

Raleigh Croshaw Captain (1570 - 1624)
Son of Joseph Raleigh Croshaw I Captain

Joseph Croshaw Colonel ( - 1650)
Son of Raleigh Croshaw Captain

Katherine Croshaw (1586 - 1636)
Daughter of Joseph Croshaw Colonel

Ann Graves (1620 - 1683)
Daughter of Katherine Croshaw

7/28/2019 at 2:10 PM

This is the curated tree for Capt. Raleigh Croshaw, Ancient Planter

7/28/2019 at 11:57 PM

Erica Howton thanks, but the birth year conflict appears here too
"Raleigh Croshaw (sometimes spelled Crashaw or Crowshaw) was born in 1584 in Croshaw, Lancashire, England. He was the son of Joseph Croshaw (b.1561)." However, Raleigh's profile does link to his father Joseph with a more likely birth year.

Private User thanks, but I'm still confused about the ancestors of Katherine Croshaw Graves (b.c. 1590 - d. after 1636). I just discovered that she is my 10th ggm.

Appreciate all the help!

7/29/2019 at 12:14 AM

According to FindAGrave, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/34196873/katherine-graves, Katherine is the daughter of Raleigh (b. 4 Dec 1570) which makes more sense with birth years.

I can see why the master profile for Katherine Graves has her only speculatively as a Croshaw
Katherine Graves

For now, I'll leave her as a speculative Croshaw in my database and add her to my geni watchlist.

Thanks so much!

7/29/2019 at 1:41 AM

The Graves Family Association should be the most reliable source for anyone Graves: http://www.gravesfa.org/gen169.htm

The Findagrave page provides no citations.

7/29/2019 at 4:59 AM

This was a family that re-used names, so lots of generational errors in trees. The first Raleigh Croshaw - the immigrant, deadby Dec. 1624 - was the father of Joseph (abt 1610-1667)**, Richard (abt. 1620-1667), and possibly Noah (no descendants).
Joseph had five wives and several children:
Daughter, name unknown, married Robert Blackwell
Mary, married Henry White, Thomas Taylor
Unity, married John West
Rachel, married Ralph Graves, Richard Barnes
Benjamin, no issue
joseph (1), no issue died young
Joseph(2), no issue died young

Richard had one wife, Elizabeth,
Children: Benjamin - no issue
Elizabeth married Rice Jones
Margaret, no issue
Rachel married John Walker

Joseph (the father’s) estate went to John West since his son Joseph (2) died with no children

No wife named Rachel, no daughter named Catherine,
Family is extensively documented in Dorman.

7/29/2019 at 5:31 AM

Thomas Graves came to Virginia in 1608. He had a wife named Katherine who arrived in Virginia with their two sons after 1616. Thomas and Katherine had six known children, John, Thomas, Ann, Verlinda, Katherine, and Francis. Daughter Katherine married William Roper and Thomas Sprigg. Ralph Graves, son of Thomas, married Rachel Croshaw, daughter of Joseph Croshaw, before 1654.

Family extensively documented in Dorman.

7/29/2019 at 9:16 PM

@Erica Howton and @kathryn forbes
Thanks so much!

The Croshaw generational errors remind me of several of my ancestral lineages, especially the Mobberley/Mobley. The Mobley's happen to connect to the Croshaw's through Unity and husband John West. Their 2nd great grandson married Margaret Deadwyler, sister of Frances, my 4th great grandmother.

I see that the last child of Thomas Graves (VA 1608) has been determined to be a daughter based on DNA
http://www.gravesfa.org/gen169.htm

Also found the Dorman info cited at http://espl-genealogy.org/MilesFiles/site/p846.htm#i84573

Really appreciate your assistance! I'll unlink Katherine, w/o Thomas Graves from the Croshaw family. Maybe future research in England will determine her birth family.

7/29/2019 at 10:31 PM

Beth Golden Let us know by geni profile link if you find any errors; the Miles Files are a terrific resource.

7/30/2019 at 5:42 AM

Erica Howton will do!

4/7/2020 at 7:04 PM

Thanks Erica for all of the great recent revisions!

4/7/2020 at 7:23 PM

thanks, the Anne Doughty family had gotten out of control, but it’s reined in now.

4/8/2020 at 7:24 PM

most welcome, I sure appreciate all of your work! I just came across some info on Joseph Croshaw in the colony of VA.
700 acres listed in Patent Book No. 3, p. 250 of Nugent Nell Marion, Cavaliers and pioneers; abstracts of Virginia land patents and grants, 1623-1800 (1934), p. 250; digital images, archive.org (Cavaliers and pioneers; abstracts of Virginia land patents and grants, 1623-1800 : online 8 April 2020. Plus many other listings for him in this book.
all the best!

9/27/2020 at 12:42 PM

Linda (Carr) Buchholz, Kit # FW864102C1 Writes:

Don't believe his mother is correct. Maybe other errors as well. Based on this

http://www.jamestowne.org/blog/joseph-croshaw-burgess-from-york-county

—-

Mother is currently showing as “Rachel” Croshaw, of the Patawomeck

9/27/2020 at 12:45 PM

Major Joseph Crowshaw was the son Captain Raleigh Crowshaw, an Ancient Planter, a member of the London Company, an Adventurer, and a Burgess from Elizabeth City County. Raleigh arrived in Virginia in 1608 on the Second Supply to Jamestowne and settled on Middle Plantation, in the area that later became Williamsburg. Raleigh’s wife’s name is unknown; she arrived in Virginia on the Bona Nova in 1620. Raleigh was a member of the Virginia Company of London and, alongside Captain John Smith, fought the Indians led by Opechancanough.

Joseph Crowshaw, born about 1612, may have been educated in England; he became a lawyer and a justice of the court in York County; represented York as a member of the House of Burgess in 1659/60; and represented York in the Assembly in 1656, 1659, and 1660. In 1656 he was also the Sheriff in York County. Joseph was also an ardent Royalist who opposed the rule of Oliver Cromwell. ...

——

9/27/2020 at 5:36 PM

From http://www.jamestowne.org/blog/joseph-croshaw-burgess-from-york-county

The best source for researching Raleigh Croshaw is The Adventurers of Purse and Person Virginia 4th edition, volume 1 by John Dorman. The name of Raleigh's wife is unknown. It appears he married an English woman, and it is unknown if he had more than one wife.

Bonnie Hofmeyer
Executive Director
Jamestowne Society.

——

Do we then agree that the children of Capt. Raleigh Croshaw, Ancient Planter were from his English wife, name not known, seen as Ursula Daniels (disproved?), and therefore born in England?

Children of Raleigh were Maj. Joseph Croshaw Noah Croshaw and Capt. Richard Croshaw

—-

I am moving them over.

9/27/2020 at 5:38 PM

From another discussion:

The information I have is that Capt Raleigh was born in 1584, his first wife "Unity" was born about 1570. She died in 1624. They had three sons, Major Joseph (C) 1610 , Noah (C) 1614, and Capt Richard (C) 1621. ... After Unity's death, Capt Raleigh married Rachel and he had a fourth son Richard (C) with her. There is some talk that Rachel was Unity's sister, and some that Rachel came over from England. Rachels second husband is possibly Thomas Bromfield.. and that story goes off on another tangent.

Private User
4/24/2021 at 2:44 PM

Rachel and Unity were native americans...it was fairly common for the early Jamestown settlers to do this...according to a Smithsonian documentary.

4/25/2021 at 6:29 PM

@L S Reynolds, please provide documentation regarding the Smithsonian documentary that included the Croshaws. Thanks!

4/26/2021 at 8:52 AM

Here’s the article which mentions croshaw, no Indian wife or wives. http://cdi.anacostia.si.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Portia-James...

4/26/2021 at 5:53 PM

http://cdi.anacostia.si.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Portia-James...

A significant encounter with Europeans occurred in the early 1620s when Captain Raleigh Croshaw and other Englishmen visiting on a mission to the city of Potomac to trade for corn were persuaded by the werowance [chieftain] of the “Potowomekes” to ally with him (“to be his friend, his countenancer, his captaine [sic], and director against the Nacotchtanks and Moyaons his mortal enemies”). The Englishmen and the Potomac Indians (Potowomacks) joined in a raid on the city of Na- cotchtanke, where their combined forces killed eighteen and drove the rest out of the city, which was then looted.7

4/26/2021 at 7:30 PM

Kathryn Forbes Erica Howton Thanks so much!

Showing all 23 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion