Sampson Bobo - I am curious why so many have him labeled Lewis Samson Bobo.

Started by Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 on Tuesday, October 15, 2019
Showing all 8 posts
10/15/2019 at 12:40 PM

I prefer the Sampson Bobo spelling. He is my 6th great grandfather. I am curious though and have matches who call him Lewis and the FamilySearch tree has him Lewis Samson Bobo.
Thank you.
~Cynthia

10/13/2021 at 8:26 AM

Which death date for him? His son Sampson Jr died same year?

10/13/2021 at 10:53 AM

You tell us, Cynthia.

10/14/2021 at 7:11 AM

Erica Howton I do not understand your comment.

I see thousands, literally, of trees all over the internet-- Rootsweb, Ancestry, MyHeritage, anywhere people can putt a tree... I love that Geni has you and other very efficient and talented researchers and genealogists and historians. I am so grateful to be able to work on ancestry HERE and I TRUST a curated profile with sources and know that the information on an MP'd profile is generally backed by solid evidence or at least very strong reason to conjecture.

I know FS has excellent records even if they are not always attached to the correct profile (I just detached a census from the wrong person yesterday... not easy to do and it is hard enough to ATTACH one so I do not do it lightly nor often) and we have already discussed why it can be a nightmare to try to find correct ancestry on FS... same goes with Wikitree but the worst thing about that site is that some profiles have ONE manager and if they disagree with those THOUSANDS upon thousands of others who agree on who someone's family is, well, then I want to weight myself up with facts because I cannot just walk away... For my Bunch line, I am still at a standstill in my own research of my third great grandmother, but for BOBO, it is an accepted fact that he is the son of Spencer and Jane... so I have been looking and even on his profile here I see three different dates.

10/14/2021 at 8:15 AM

Oh, do you mean since I worked on these so much?
I see you double checked and you worked on a handful of these Bobos!
Thank you, Erica Howton!

Communication can be so difficult with just words and not always knowing the context.

My apologies for any miscommunication or misunderstanding.

10/14/2021 at 8:26 AM

I don't know, so I left all three on his profile and may revisit but for now he looks wonderful.
Thank you so much

10/14/2021 at 9:56 AM

Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 - I meant that you could answer your own questions from the notes in the profiles:

Which death date for him? His son Sampson Jr died same year?

Sampson Bobo was the son of Spencer Bobo Sr. and wife Jane Wofford. He was born in 1738 in Virginia. He married Sarah Simpson in 1743. Sarah was born in Virginia c.1740 and died in South Carolina in 1816.

but death date shows as Death: February 24, 1804 (65-66) …

Sampson Bobo, Jr Shows Death: 1804 (32-33) Spartanburg, Spartanburg, South Carolina, USA but has no bio.

So your next step is to find citations and add to Spencer Jr.

10/14/2021 at 10:09 AM

Sorry, additions notes in Sampson Sr:

Unfortunately there were many Bobo sons who were named "Sampson," but only two of them appear as probable candidates to have served in the militia. They are Sampson Bobo (1735) and his nephew, Sampson Bobo (1759), son of brother Lewis Bobo …

This answers your Lewis question, there’s a brother.
https://services.dar.org/Public/DAR_Research/search_adb/default.cfm... shows death date as ANTE 2-24-1804 so that’s the correction needed

don’t see a Sampson Jr listed so consider he belongs to brother Lewis

Profile reference http://www.vanderfordfamily.com/html/bobo2001.htm has

Sampson Bobo, b. 1735 in Caroline County, Virginia, d. April 17, 1804 in Spartenburg County, South Carolina m.1762 in Culpepper County, Birginia, Sarah "Sally" Simpson, bc. 1743 in Culpepper County, Virginia, d. February 16, 1816 buried Woodruff Cemetery, Spartenburg, South Carolina

Lewis Bobo (bobo3001), b. 1736, d. March 7, 1808 m2. before 1749, Mary Taylor, widow of John Sparks [Haynie]

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion