Nancy Colvard (Calvart) Wiggins - Please Provide Source, Evidence, and Proof to Show Nancy Wiggins as Decended from Lord Baltimore

Started by David White on Friday, February 5, 2021
Showing all 8 posts

As a descendant of Nancy Colvard and Abraham Wiggins, I have searched hard for evidence of her ancestry, but I have not yet come acrsss any evidence to verify any descendancy from a Lord Baltimore (George Calvert). It is said there is a possibility, but you must give evidence, or this statement is false and should not be listed in the tree in such a way.

Thanks.

David

David White I assume you are referring to Nancy Wiggins having the text "Grand-Daughter of Lord Baltimore George Calvart through Leonard Baron Lord Baltimore the 4th" in her Birth Surname data field?

Apart from the fact that Nancy's grandfather is, allegedly, William Colvard, II even if the statement was factually accurate it does not belong in the name fields. I have deleted it entirely.

I presume this the Lord Baltimore in question: Sir George Calvert, 1st Baron Baltimore

Geni shows this link: Sir George Calvert, 1st Baron Baltimore is Nancy Wiggins (Calvart)'s husband's granddaughter's husband's 7th great grandfather. Which does not seem like an overly controversial claim?

Hey Alex. I checked the listed ancestors listed for that Nancy Colvard (Calvert) Wiggins and it ends up with a one of the George Calverts having father "John Calvert", and "George Calvert", so it seems that whole set up there is a mess.

I was hoping I would find some new information that would give a definite connection beyond Nancy's grandparents, George Calvert and Temperance. Ah, well....

@Re: Wiggins family. To Alex Moes, David White, etc.

My name is Richard A. Colbert and I am related to the Wiggins family. My family has gone by the surnames Calvert, Colvard, and Colbert + variations since my ancestors arrived in America in 1635.

My 7th GG Christopher Calvert was transported from England to Accomack Co, VA in 1635 by William Bibby. The Bibby's and my family have been together for over 385 years. First in Accomack and Chesterfield Cos, VA, and finally in Bute/Franklin Co, NC. They arrived there in 1768.

I have taken y-DNA-111, haplogroup R-Z16502, atDNA, and mtDNA from Family Tree DNA. I have also taken atDNA from Ancestry.com and Living DNA. In Ancestry.com, tests show I have multiple matches with the Wiggins family.

Because of the DNA tests I have taken, I can categorically state that I am NOT a descendant of Lord Baltimore, or the Calvert's that lived in Stafford, Prince William, or Prince George Cos., VA.

Christopher Calvert married Elinor Odait in 1650 and had five children: 4 boys and 1 girl. 1) Mary Calvert b. abt 1656 married Garrett Sipple; 2) Charles Calvert b. abt 1658. Moved to Middlesex Co, VA; 3) Christopher Jr. b. abt 1660, d. Richmond Co, VA; 4) George Calvert, b. abt. 1662. Apprenticed to become a shipbuilder/carpenter by Thomas Hooks of Maryland. No further information; 5) John Calvert, b. abt 1662. (My 6th GG).

A "Widgeon" family also lived in Accomack Co, VA. Have no information if they ever went by the name Wiggins. "Virginia's Eastern Shore," by Ralph Whitman.

My 5th GG William Calvert married the widow Temperance Robins in 1728 in York Co, VA. [I believe her maiden name was Bashford.] They had four sons: Benjamin b. abt 1730; 2) William Jr. b. abt. 1732; 3) my 4th GG Thomas b. ca. 1736; and 4) John Butterworth b. abt 1740. My family moved from York Co. to Henrico Co and when Henrico split, they ended up in Goochland/Chesterfield/Albemarle Cos, VA. Three of the brothers -- Benjamin, William Jr. and John Butterworth Colvard -- were still living in Chesterfield Cos, VA in the early 1750's.

Both John Butterworth Colvard and William Colvard Jr. and their families moved to Surry/Wilkes Cos, NC in the early 1770's. Benjamin and his family remained in Albemarle Co. He died in 1786. [His son, Benjamin Colvard Jr was hired as an apprentice carpenter at Thomas Jefferson's Monticello plantation. Between 1782 and 1800, Ben Colvard Jr. and Betty Brown -- daughter of Betty Hemings and sister of Sally Hemings -- had six children, all born slaves. Burwell Colbert, their oldest, became a butler, valet, and personal servant of Thomas Jefferson. In his last will and testament, Jefferson freed Burwell, gave him $300 in cash, a log cabin on an acre of land, and a job at the University of Virginia. atDNA shows that I have the same atDNA as descendants of Eston Hemings -- son of Sally Hemings and Thomas Jefferson. I am a member of the Hemings-Jefferson-Wayles-Eppes DNA Project. It's co-administrators are CeCe Moore, also consultant to PBS's "Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr., and Shannon Christmas. Shannon Christmas and I are distant cousins. Our families lived in both Albemarle Co, VA and in Franklin Co, N.C.]

My 4th GG Thomas moved to what is now the town of Halifax, Halifax Co, NC in 1750's and in 1768 moved to Bute/Franklin Co, NC. Colbert descendants still live there. Pete Colbert's atDNA also shows he is related to Wiggins family.

Sources: 1) "The History of William Colvard, John Wheat, John McCampbell and their Descendants in America," Margaret Colvard Simpson and Margaret Lee Lindsey; 2) "Descendants of Virginia Calvert's, Book IV, Christopher Calvert of Accomac County, VA, Book IX, Miscellaneous Calvert Records, "Philip Calvert of Middlesex County, and Book XVII William of Chesterfield County, VA. and 3) "Virginia's Eastern Shore," by Ralph T. Whitelaw, pp. 114, 696, 903, 907, 911, 926, 932-934.

@ Correction to last entry. "Virginia's Eastern Shore..." was written by Ralph T. Whitelaw, not Whitman.

@ Calvert/Colvard family. I have matching y-DNA-67 with the descendants of William Colvard Jr. and his brother John Butterworth Colvard and my 4th GG Thomas Colvard. I also have matching atDNA with descendants of Benjamin Colvard including Hemings-Jefferson family + matching y-DNA-37 with a Calvert from England. His family never moved to America.

He’s my first cousin 11 times removed lol.

https://www.geni.com/path/Billie-June-Keaffaber+is+related+to+Sir-G...

Billie

Richard,
I have DNA on here in Geni if you belong to Calverts we have small match at least. I have had hits to Calverts in Ancestry and 23andme me. The Calverts my direct lines twice.

Billie

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion