Caron L. Brannon, Sr., ancient planter - How we arrived

Started by Private User on Wednesday, March 10, 2021
Showing all 7 posts
Private User
3/10/2021 at 1:19 AM

Turns out he was sold into slavery or was abducted into it as John Branham, his father made way from England to Ireland then with his children came to Virginia. Caron (Caren) was tsken from his father's middle name. I have traced him back to the daysof Henry the VIII. Caron has documents of his marriage to Margret Morgrave, citing his surname as Branham, changed to Brannan by Virginia officials. His legacy was dropped by the family and was not included as direct descendants in some accounts because of his slavery sale, which was not uncommon at this time. He was indeed sold to George Davenport by records at the age of 12.

3/10/2021 at 2:15 AM

Interesting! What are your sources?

Private User
4/26/2021 at 4:47 PM

Most of what I found was from Rootsweb, a website that does not work very well as it did when I was working with the Brannon line.
Also, will you please look in the Brannon line: Granberry Jackson Brannon, his father in John Brannon, wife is Nancy Parker, not Taylor. This is my Granddaddy Jessie Caleb Brannon, someone has added Caron L. Brannon as his father, could not fix because it is locked. I have all of the family history, so let me know what to do.
Thanks for your help.
Mary Moone

1/21/2022 at 12:46 PM

I don’t see evidence supporting John Branham, Jr. as father of Caron Brannon, Sr., ancient planter so I ’ve disconnected.

1/22/2022 at 12:32 PM

Anne Brannen - on the other hand, I do see evidence from a reputable (but not always correct) site showing Caron Brannon, Sr., ancient planter who married Margaret Brannan as son of Deborah Branham & Richard Branham, Sr.

Note: no Caron, however spelled, in Richard’s 1728 Will.

https://www.colonial-settlers-md-va.us/getperson.php?personID=I7398...

Let us examine the evidence!

1/22/2022 at 12:45 PM

Should we change the birth place to unknown?

—-

https://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/trees/447550/I39645497/-/individual

Note by author: It seems more than probable that Charon Brenhan at the age of 12, would have been in a party of older Brannons who arrived in North Farnham Parish, Richmond Co., VA, (which lies on the northern side of the Rappahannock River) between the years 1697 - 1699. He might have come over with his parents, or uncles, or other members of his family, however there has, to date,  been found no record of these forebears.

1/22/2022 at 2:13 PM

Erica Howton --

Ah. The Brannon/Branan kerfuffle comes home.

The reason that I mastered -- and locked down -- Caron Brannon is that his line kept getting merged into mine. Even some of my cousins think that we are descended from Caron Brannon.

We aren't.

I've done a lot of work trying to untangle things here -- Margaret keeps getting merged with her sister Morgrave --

And the fact that the Brannons spelled their name in various ways doesn't help.

I do not know, however, who Caron's parents are.

At the moment the Branan/Brannan/Brannens -- my line -- seems to not be getting in your way.

But if you come across James Kenyon Branan, with the last name spelled any various way, that's not this line.

It doesn't help that Kenyon Branan (who was from Wales) apparently went to Virginia before he went to Georgia -- see the family Bible --Kenyon Branan -- and the Caron Brannon line was in Virginia. But Kenyon Branan ended up in South Carolina and then Georgia.

So if you come across those places, too, be cautious.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion