Quashawan - Confused

Started by Debbie Gambrell on Sunday, May 30, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 4 posts
5/30/2021 at 1:38 PM

This site is discussing Quashawan who becamse Grand Sachem after Wynadanch's death and identifies her as Wyandanch's daughter.

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/vantassel/65/

So, is this Quashawan profile on Geni mixing up a same-name person but with different family connections?

Thanks for any clarification.

5/30/2021 at 6:35 PM

Debbie Gambrell the text in the About of Quashawan (Wyandanch, Grand Sachem of Montaukett's mother) looks like it actually belongs to Wyandanch, Grand Sachem of Montaukett's daughter (Quashawam, Sunksquaw of Shinnecock who some historians identify as his sister).

The main biggest problem with this part of the tree is amateur genealogists/historians trying to interpret fragmentary historical records created piecemeal by people who were not particularly knowledgeable about the facts themselves. Myself I don't even try, I am not even certain how I became Curator of this MP.

5/30/2021 at 6:40 PM

What the area needs is a strongly research modern academic paper that could be used to conform the Geni tree to.

Quashawan was born and died before the arrival of European settlers in North America so the idea that any reliable records exist for her is fantasy, a reputable subject matter expert is required who would probably only be able to tell you that nothing can be proven reliably.

Private
10/20/2021 at 7:59 PM

Quashawan is over 55 years old for the birth of her child Wyandanch, Grand Sachem of Montaukett.Wyandanch, Grand Sachem of Montaukett born after the death of his father Mongotucksee, Sachem of Montaukett.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion