Barbara Epstein (Doktor) - Some more information needed re Family Epstein, Drmoul.

Started by Private User on Thursday, August 26, 2021
Showing all 5 posts

I've been working lately on trying to trace my ancestors and currently researching the Epstein branch.

Pip de P. James writes the following;
"N.B. Barbara had several children born out of wedlock but apparently then married the father of these - David EPSTEIN - who then recognised paternity. Actual marriage record not yet traced but at least one of daughter's marriage registrations gives names of both parents and official surname as EPSTEIN and her own death registration gives her surname as EPSTEIN."

You state that "Barbara had several children born out of wedlock", can you please tell me the source of this?

I have found a gravestone of one David Epstein in Drumol, he died on 27 December 1843. If this is indeed the husband of Barbara, this would mean that the youngest daughter Dorothea Epstein was born an orphan. Barbara died in 1886. Was she a widow for 43 years or did she ever remarry?

According to our family information, we think Theresa "Reisel" Leitner was born 3 January 1842, but that's only 52 days apart from her sister Amalia Epstein. Either one of the dates are incorrect or these were not sisters?!?

If anyone can shed any more light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

BLITZSCHLAG/lightning strike in my neighbourhood on 22 Aug ...

No internet/telephone (TV) etc. Repair date to take time ...

Only just now using freshly received courtesy substitute router and, though otherwise overwhelmed with mega backlog of "stuff" here on computer, am attempting here to rise to first genealogical challlenge "once more unto the breach ..."

- A pity you didn't enter source for David EPSTEIN gravestone. - but I've traced his actual death registration which describes him as "single" but definitely living at e.g. same address as some children born in Dürrmaul - i.e. House # 1.

- Ditto pity that you didn't specficy place of death of daughter Theresia - but I've traced her actual death registration in Marienbad and, though it unfortunately, doesn't give exact DOB the year provided is definitely 1842, Dürrmaul.

- N.B. The births of Barbara DOKTOR's offspring were nearly all based on exact documents found - as noted by me with both sources and images. (I'm a sticker at citing such).

- the only birth record missing was of Theresia. Her parentage shown only on her actual marriage registration. Her age only approximate. On what other basis does your family "think" she was born on 3 Jan 1842?

MY OWN CONCLUSIONS/SUPPOSITIONS:

- though it looks like David never really married Barbara it appears that he did live as husband/father in same house until his death

- I, personally, suspect that Theresia was, in fact, the daughter born under the name of Amelie/Amelia on 24 March 1842 (this does happen that individuals in that era and for whatever reasons change their first names quite radically!) .

I shall post my additional discoveries as soon as I can.

Maybe you could then enlarge on the sources you've found and perhaps even, after reflection, give a blessing to an Amalie/Theresie MERGE ...?

BEST WISHES!

pip

Hi Pip de P. James,

Here is the source of David Epstein's gravestone in Drmoul, which sets the date at 27 December 1843.
http://www.chewra.com/keshetnew/kweb/tomb_detail.aspx?tomb=512&...
In Barbara Epstein you wrote Barbara and David had several children born out of wedlock but then married, which is extremely likely due to the Familianten order, which was in force between 1726 and 1848.

The vademecum link you have added to the 'about' doesn't seem to work, but the date is a match! Which book is the record from?

Re Theresa "Reisel" Leitner, I'm talking about her birth, not her death. Theresa (my second great grandmother) lived until 1897. (Which Theresa died in Marienbad 1842?)

I think the source of the DOB in my uncle's book comes from entry #14 here
https://vademecum.nacr.cz/vademecum/permalink?xid=6c0fe0ce-1408-4cc...
but I cannot quite read what it says... I dispute this dob simply because we know when her sister Amaila was born, and it wouldn't be possible only 52 days apart.

Here is the record of Amalia Epstein birth, entry #16, confirming her DOB 24 March 1842.
https://vademecum.nacr.cz/vademecum/permalink?xid=7ccb9f56-b496-461...
Could they have been twins?

The marriage entry of Theresia and Herman Leitner is actually what comes to the rescue! I think it's safe to assume that she knew her age of 27 when the marriage was recorded. So considering the birth dates of her sister Rebeka Epstein on 22 May 1840, and Amalia on 24 March 1842, means that Theresia was probably born somewhere between February 1841 to July 1841.

Sorry, but I don't give my blessing to an Amalia and Theresia merge! ;-)

Many thanks
Shragi

SORRY dear Shragi -

But I'm struggling & juggling with stuff due to lightning strike.

Can't answer all of this for a few - PHEW! - more days ...

ALLES GUTE! - ?

pip

Pip!

Please no worries. It's more important that you take care of yourself first.

Mank thanks for all your help.

Regards
Shragi

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion