Capt. John Basse, Sr. - Question about Peregrine Basye

Started by Polly GEDmatch kit # TA7057982 on Monday, November 1, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 44 posts
11/1/2021 at 11:04 AM

I have been told by an admin in the Facebook group Bass surnames that Peregrine Basye does not exist...he is showing as my 15th GGF...any and all help is greatly appreciated!

11/1/2021 at 11:29 AM

Hello. You and I share 5.5 cM. It's not a huge match but it's something. I've not seen that spelling before. Very unique. Do you have an asteric next to the name when you search? That ques the soundex... it helps a little.
Also, might check wikitree. Just because I haven't seen it doesn't mean it's incorrect. If they say it doesn't exist, i would ask about the process behind declaring the name non-existent.

11/1/2021 at 11:30 AM

I am a Bass(e) descendant as well.

11/1/2021 at 12:13 PM

I couldn't find any documentation for

Peregrine Basse by Googling except this one source reference:

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Basye-22

Sources
↑ Parish Register Abstract, FindMyPast.com, s/o Peregrine

Which is on the Wiki page for his son Walter, so he had to exist if there is a Parish record of Walter being Peregrine's son.

've been disappointed in the past joining surname FB groups. They always seem to want to say the line I'm researching isn't related and ignore sources I provide to show otherwise and even ignoring DNA cousin matches. I'm sure they're not all like that, but I left all the ones I had joined because they wanted to be like their line was the only valid one or something.

11/1/2021 at 12:16 PM

So I added that reference to Peregrine's About section.

He shows on Geni as my 21st ggf but he's not really because my ancestor Hannah (Love) Austin / Moore was adopted into the family of Elisha (Bayse) Love and isn't really a Bayse descendant. I wish that connection would be corrected so it doesn't make it look like I have ancestors that I don't. have up those lines.

Private
11/1/2021 at 12:25 PM

It was an actual adoption, so it needs to stay, right?

11/1/2021 at 1:07 PM

As far as I know it was an actual adoption so nothing needs to be removed. I just don't know why it's showing me blood-descended from both the adopted and biological lines when it should only show that on the biological line. I have seen other profiles with both adopted / foster / step and biological lines but I don't recall them showing the non-biological lines as my directs.

Private
11/1/2021 at 1:10 PM

fixed

11/1/2021 at 1:26 PM

It shouldn't have been necessary to remove the adopted parents. That's why those options are on there. Seems like an issue on Geni's side that isn't trekking the pathway correctly for some reason. But, yes, removing the adopted parents did fix the issue with both sets of parents showing as my direct, and someone else posted it was showing that way for them too. So thanks.

That said, it would be nice if Geni would fix the underlying issue so both adopted and biological parents could actually be shown without causing it to look like both sets are a person's direct ancestors.

Private
11/1/2021 at 2:01 PM

Listed in the About section as to the story.

11/1/2021 at 2:11 PM

Yep, that's how I found out about the adoptive line info. Hopefully Geni will get the glitch fixed.

Private User
11/1/2021 at 3:58 PM

That's strange, when I posted my link it got 'lost' chronologically out of order in the thread. That's how I ended up posting it twice. Smh.

11/1/2021 at 4:18 PM

How do we know it was an actual adoption? Rare for that time & place.

Also, please post exactly what you mean about adoptive links showing in the relationship path in a new ticket to Geni - pro members can & should open these tickets, otherwise Geni has no way of knowing.

Help link at the bottom of every geni page.

https://help.geni.com/hc/en-us/community/topics/201174707-Getting-H... (public bug report)

https://help.geni.com/hc/en-us/requests/new (Private ticket)

11/1/2021 at 4:20 PM

Peregrine Basse - suspicious death location.

11/1/2021 at 4:29 PM

Apparently Bayse and Basse were different families, yet this Peregrine is hooked on to Basse.

Resource for you

The Basye family in the United States.
by Basye, Otto, 1872-

Publication date 1950
Topics Basye family
Publisher Kansas City, Mo. [1950]

https://archive.org/details/basyefamilyinuni00basy/page/n4/mode/2up

Private User
11/1/2021 at 4:39 PM

Not saying this is it, just thought it an interesting parallel (William Bassett, not Bass or Bayse, deeded property to his two "sons", one of whom was named Peregrine White; the other shared his surname):

"A Deed appointed to bee Recorded Know all men by these p r sents that I Willam Bassett sen'r of Duxburrow now liveing Att Bridgwater for Divers Reasons and Considerations Doe freely Surrender and give up all my proper and whole Interest in my landes lying being and Scitt- uatt upon the south River with all the Emunities and privilidges belonging therunto both uplands and meddow lands unto my two sonnes there liveing viz Perigrine White and Nathaniell Bassett..."

(Peregrine or Perigrine was a fairly common 17th century first name.)

11/1/2021 at 4:39 PM

Polly

The information from that group is not as reliable as it use to be.
I am not familiar with the name Peregrine The spelling of the last name Bayse is probably incorrect. The y might be mistaken for the symbol that was used for the double s which resembles a y , so the name could be Basse.. The name Bays has been confused with Bass or Basse, but as far as I know, Bays was never a spelling for Bass.. If you haven't already , try searching with different spellings.

Private User
11/1/2021 at 4:42 PM

The time stamp is wrong too. Right now, it is actually 7:42

11/1/2021 at 4:43 PM

So here’s where Peregrine comes from, apparently.

https://defiebre.wordpress.com/

I received a forward from Terry Basye (he sent to several other researchers) of a message he received from another Basye relative who wants to try to prove Huguenot ancestry. He does not have any proof and believes that past attempts have not been able to validate the claim of Huguenot. He did however provide information for the parents of Edmond (1645-1724) which is the first Basye in the “book”. He has notes that indicate Edmond’s father was Walter Noah Basye born 1615 and Susannah McFarland born 1625. They lived in Kent County England and died there.
I plugged in those details to my Ancestry tree and it looks like several others show similar information with some additional details. They have Walter born in Cotgrave, Nottinghamshire, England with a baptism on 7 Mar 1618. There appears to be some sort of Ancestry record in the “England & Wales Christening Records 1530-1906”, but these are only viewable under the world subscription. These other trees also indicate Walter died in 1724. A few of the records have Walter’s father as “Peregrine Basse”. Several of the trees show Susannah with an Ancestry birth record attached from the “London England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 1538-1812”, but again this is only viewable with a world subscription. They also show a death in 1702 in St Andrew Holborn, London, England. Several trees indicate a marriage date of 1644 which would match Edmond’s birth in 1645.
At least one record shows Edmond’s birth in Sutton, Bedfordshire, England and death on 18 MAr 1724 in Wicomico Parish, Northumberland, VA.

11/1/2021 at 4:44 PM

Married 1615 at Weathersfield, Essex, England

Walter Basse was baptised 7 Mar 1618 at Cotgrave, s/o Peregrine

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Basye-22

Sources
↑ Parish Register Abstract, FindMyPast.com, s/o Peregrine

Private User
11/1/2021 at 4:45 PM

I knew it would start working right when I did that last post, just because I said it wasn't working. But the three posts above, at 6:57 and 6:58 -- Time stampst are off by nearly an hour. I've never seen that happen before.

11/1/2021 at 4:53 PM

Someone else posted a time stamp issue.

You’re right, this guy picked up details of Peregrine White of the Mayflower.

Need to find the bad connections on Geni - he no ones 15th ancestor.

If he’s from Nottinghamshire he is not related to the Nathaniel Basse family which was London based ( “merchant of London” father)

Private User
11/1/2021 at 5:14 PM

Erica Howton with regard to Perigrine White connected to William Bassett, Sr. -- I suspect he may have actually been a son-in-law, married to his unnamed daughter, rather than an "adoption".

11/1/2021 at 5:16 PM

Peregrine White, "Mayflower" Passenger - are they mixing up Basse, Bayse & Bassett??

Ignore it for Gedcom madness …

Private User
11/1/2021 at 5:23 PM

For some reason I can't explain, Bass is sometimes mixed up with Bassett by some genealogists. I really don't understand why it happens. But I have both surnames, in separate areas of my family tree. I'm blood related to some Florida/South Carolina Bassetts. In-law to some Florida/Georgia/North Carolina Basses.

11/1/2021 at 5:23 PM

https://defiebre.wordpress.com/

I received a forward from Terry Basye (he sent to several other researchers) of a message he received from another Basye relative who wants to try to prove Huguenot ancestry. He does not have any proof and believes that past attempts have not been able to validate the claim of Huguenot. He did however provide information for the parents of Edmond (1645-1724) which is the first Basye in the “book”. He has notes that indicate Edmond’s father was Walter Noah Basye born 1615 and Susannah McFarland born 1625. They lived in Kent County England and died there.

I plugged in those details to my Ancestry tree and it looks like several others show similar information with some additional details. They have Walter born in Cotgrave, Nottinghamshire, England with a baptism on 7 Mar 1618. There appears to be some sort of Ancestry record in the “England & Wales Christening Records 1530-1906”, but these are only viewable under the world subscription. These other trees also indicate Walter died in 1724. A few of the records have Walter’s father as “Peregrine Basse”. Several of the trees show Susannah with an Ancestry birth record attached from the “London England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 1538-1812”, but again this is only viewable with a world subscription. They also show a death in 1702 in St Andrew Holborn, London, England. Several trees indicate a marriage date of 1644 which would match Edmond’s birth in 1645.
At least one record shows Edmond’s birth in Sutton, Bedfordshire, England and death on 18 MAr 1724 in Wicomico Parish, Northumberland, VA.

11/1/2021 at 5:25 PM

Private User - actually, that’s discussed in the opening pages of the Basye book.

But Basye is it’s own family, and try first verified Basye in America is Edmond. So he needs to be disconnected from these random baptism records.

Private User
11/1/2021 at 5:25 PM

I'm not so sure Bayse and Bass are really the same thing, either, although some genealogists assume for whatever reason that they are.

But in that profile you reference, he is correctly (imo) married to a Bassett.

Showing 1-30 of 44 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion