Marilyn Monroe - DNA proof...

Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• This work is in the public domain because it was published in the United States between 1925 and 1963 and although there may or may not have been a copyright notice, the copyright was not renewed. Via Wikimedia Commons at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Monroecirca1953.jpg
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts

https://movieweb.com/marilyn-monroes-biological-fathers-identity-is...
https://buffalonews.com/entertainment/marilyn-monroe-documentary-cl...
https://variety.com/2022/tv/global/marilyn-monroe-documentary-charl...

Label News has just wrapped the production of “Marilyn, Her Final Secret,” an investigative documentary shedding light on the identity of Marilyn Monroe’s biological father whom she never met.

Directed by Francois Pomès, the documentary is based on an exclusive DNA research conducted by Ludovic Orlando, an expert in molecular archaeology working in Southern France. Orlando used a hair sample from Monroe which was provided by John Reznikoff, a renown auctioneer and authenticator, as well a saliva sample from the great-grandchild of Monroe’s suspected father, Charles Stanley Gifford.

The documentary weaves archive footage and interviews chronicling Monroe’s desperate efforts to find her father and connect with him, as well as the scientific journey to come up with DNA evidence.

“The hair that we used from Monroe was collected by the person who embalmed her body the day she died and we were able to draw up 22% of her genetic profile from that thanks to a DNA fragment found in the keratin,” said Pomès, who is also producing the documentary for Label News.

The director-producer said he “spent years and sleepless nights” to deliver this one-hour documentary and reveal once and for all who Monroe’s father was,” as well as break a “family secret.” “The thing that I touched me the most was seeing the reaction of Gifford’s family who were overwhelmed by this irrefutable evidence,” Pomès said.

BASICALLY--- there are TWO projects with a conclusion--- one for the Monroe line of the mother that the CLAN MUNRO hasa been working on and have now announced and then the DNA of Marilyn's identifying her ( Marilyn Monroe 's) BIO FATHER:

Who were Marilyn Monroe's biological parents?
Before adopting her stage name, the star had used the last names Baker (belonging to her mother's first husband) and Mortenson (belonging to her mother's second husband). However, it has been suspected that Monroe's biological father was actually Charles Stanley Gifford, a man who Baker worked for. Apr 5, 2022

The actress's mother, Gladys Pearl Monroe, had ancestral links to Scotland and Clan Munro.
"The origins of name Munro has puzzled historians for generations,” modern day Clan chief, Hector Munro of Foulis, told the BBC.

"Tradition has it that we were mercenary soldiers from near the River Roe in Derry, Northern Ireland, hence the name Munro - Mac an Rothaich in Gaelic. But it had proved impossible to verify."

Monroe’s mother Gladys could trace her father’s line back to John Munro, a prisoner of war exiled to America after the Battle of Worcester during the English Civil War in 1651.

No Munro men who shared the same signature pattern of the male Y chromosome had been found in Scotland, so the link to the Highland clan was uncertain.

Now, the Clan Munro DNA project has finally proved that Marilyn’s forefathers were related to a Munro family from the Moray village of Edinkillie, near Forres.

Need a curator.
This Discussion is due to a PM to the managers on the profile.

Private User
Today at 7:38 AM

Hi, everybody! I can see from my inbox that there's lots of excitement about this and that people would like to see her Geni profile changed immediately.

It's important for us to wait for the documentary to actually be released and to see the methodology and evidence before we make any changes. There have been so many of these cases over the years where writers, documentary crews, and private investigators say that they've made a big DNA discovery about a famous person, only to then turn out to be wrong once genetic genealogists review their work.

So let's be patient and see what comes out of this. Hopefully they're right! But for now, we should play it safe.

Private User
Today at 7:42 AM

One thing I definitely don't understand about the Scotsman/Clan Munro article: They used Y-DNA, and they don't say who in her close family was actually tested. It's another reason to take a "wait and see" approach, unless/until more info about methodology is released. But it's all still interesting to discuss in the meantime!

Jamie PRO
Today at 7:56 AM

Wow, Thank You for posting. This is neat, and I look forward to when the documetary comes out.

Charles Stanley Gifford
Private User the curator on profile
One of the merges for "Marilyn" had him as father so it will be very interesting to see the end results of these studies.
I only grabbed a few quotes from several different sites so the full picture is surely coming as pertains to the Clan Munro Project-- those guys seem pretty excited lol
I have always loved reading biographies and for some reason, I find Marilyn sad and interesting. I am not so interested in the Hollywood aspect of her life as the personal events. I have a little bit of a Marilyn Monroe collection myself... mostly items others have bought for me including a cookie jar and old magazines with her on the cover, a block of stamps that was released one year ... I think MOST people will agree there's just "something" about Marilyn.
I hope we will definitively know who her father is, after all is said and done.
The documentary will hopefully be respectful and entertaining.
Some would say "why does it matter" but apparently the descendants of Mr Gifford had quite a reaction! I can imagine it would be an emotional "thing"
On Geni, "we" do like to see our relationships so I am really looking forward to these results to be more publicly discussed/examined and I know we all appreciate the Geni user that brought it to attention in the PM
:)

Private User
Today at 8:55 AM

Yes, there were several competing Marilyn Monroe trees on Geni a few years back, and we had to separate out the paternal "candidates" when doing merges. Lots of theories out there. :) In like 2019 or so, the Monroe tree was honestly a big mess, and it took a lot of repairing and locking to get it in order.

I'm noticing that most articles are saying a single strand of her hair was used, and they were only able to retrieve "up to 22%" of her genetic profile from one fragment of DNA that was found. The standard for DNA analysis is ten strands, and the bare minimum is six, and even then there's only about a 60% chance of getting enough DNA to be accurate.

So I'm guessing this will be pretty contentious. It'll be interesting to see if the Monroe estate weighs in.

Hopefully was more than just a single strand but if it had the pulp may be all they need---- I read in my brief venture this morning that it was extracted by the embalmer

Yes, the estate has a lot to gain with the excitement. Imagine how many more memorabilia items and special commemorative pieces will pop up.
I cannot imagine this being BAD for business ;)

You have done a wonderful job with her profile. My favorite is when you removed her from the FORGOTTEN ACTRESSES project. No one can ever "forget" Marilyn, surely

Private User
Today at 8:59 AM

Actually, there's an article in a UK tabloid that says it was three strands of bleached hair. And that they matched it to either a granddaughter or great-granddaughter of Gifford.

Private User
Today at 9:01 AM

I just removed Connie Stevens from that project yesterday...I don't know how she could be forgotten when she's still working! :) Maybe it needs a rename.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion