Getting more Geni users to use the app at the ANU museum

Started by Randy Schoenberg on Tuesday, June 21, 2022
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 7 posts
6/21/2022 at 11:07 PM

We're not getting as many users as I'd like for the Geni-powered app at the ANU Museum in Tel Aviv. Do any of our Israeli members have time to stop by the museum and check out how the app is being advertised to users at the museum? Does everyone who goes to the museum know about the app?
Perhaps the issue is that people do not have Geni accounts already when they walk into the museum? Or they don’t remember their passwords? Or is it something else? What do the people at the front desk or the docents tell visitors? Are people just not interested? Or unable to use it? How about at the genealogy center?

I'm eager to find out whether we can jump-start the use of this app at the museum, because I think it could get us more Jewish users and also drive a lot of users to be more active to get better connections.

Private User
yesterday at 2:07 AM

We visited the museum a few days after its re-inauguration. It's about time to visit there again...

yesterday at 3:18 AM

The renovated museum (on Tel Aviv University campus) should indeed be revisited by all of us. However - it is mainly visited by tourist groups. It was idle (poorly visited) during the pandemics - but hopefully things are changing for the better now. I asked my colleagues from TAU to check the museum lobby (no entrance fees there) for any ads for the ANU app HIGHLIGHT TOUR and/or the ANU website.

yesterday at 3:47 AM

I am currently in Israel and willing to put few hours into a study

My related thoughts are that much more must be done to excite the next generations and give three immediate examples
1) All the media attention you received on the Klimt story globally

2) The multi million number of viewers reacting on Tik Tok by 98year old holocaust survivor Lily Ebert and her great grandson Dov

3) Initial feedback from Who do you think you are and the latest BBC episode.
Matt Lucas of Little Brittain fame. He born 1974. A cousin of his grandmother rubbed shoulders with Anne Frank as a lodger and is producing huge posiitive stories that us mere descendants /next of kin of refugees can never achieve with our stories

The ANU site is a start. It still has me down with 973 links, One of the closest being Abraham Salomon de Camondo , related through a third great aunt in Bohemia and not the usual refugee link. Much is being learnt by working on our heritage there

yesterday at 7:55 AM

It's a very confusing site in everyday American English. The translation is poor and the use of the site is too difficult as well. As one example, the English language app gives the impression that the people I am related to are actually visiting and are alive in the museum on the third floor. No, there is a separate button for those actual people that the museum is actually tracking inside the premises?

So being focussed on solutions, have a native English language educator review the content and make corrections so that 15-20 year olds understand what's going on with this app.

The same critique can be applied to Geni itself. Look right here at "Post Reply". Two words. What do they mean to a 14 year old American kid? Look at the instructions to the right-"Use the the same conclusion by citing TV programs as our sources of information.

Private User
yesterday at 8:39 AM

simple: for uninitiated, like me, describe mission purpose of museum & spell out it's name . give the who ,what,when,where briefly as in a publicity release

yesterday at 11:49 AM

I am not in Israel now, so I canot speak to what is going on in the musuem. Having said that, signage is a necessity. Not only directing people to https://geni.anumuseum.org.il/ (is it only the website, or is there an actual downloadable app?), but perhaps including a call to action -- like somewhere they can submit who their most famous realtive is, or who their 5th most, or whatever. Contest-like.

To promote use after they leave the museum, some kind of similar contest/question, which they can sign up for? (someone will ahve to send out emails and coordinate responses or set up a site for it).

This is all well and good for people already on Geni. But for those who set food inside and are not on Geni, a kisok or display that walks people through ight make sense. For tourists, that might be enugh For Israelis, many use MyHeritage which I believe Geni acquired, so perhaps some kind of demo/kisok about downloading and uplaoding Gedcom trees? A manned booth or educated docents?

To get more people on Geni and who are also not in Israel to use it, if Geni itself can't advertise or inlcude messages in its automated emails or on the site, continue what you are doing on the Facebook genealogy groups and Geni discussions/groups by promoting.

Are there plans to create an app that can be downloaded from Google Play,, etc.?

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion