How do you upload a Gedcom Tree

Started by Private User on Monday, November 8, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 7 posts
Private User
11/8/2010 at 10:01 AM

How do you upload your family tree onto GENI using a gedcom file from Family Tree Maker

Ashley,
at present you don't. There is a temporary block on uploads, while they work out some issues, and improve the system to import the data, without creating duplicate profiles.

11/22/2010 at 9:10 AM

Is there anyway around this. I have a relatively small family tree (a few hundred people). I found another site that has about 300 family members (almost all of them are not in my tree). I downloaded the GEDCOM from that site, but now I can't add it in. I have to manually add 300 people. I am happy to deal with all of the merge issues. I like geni.com because it is easy, but I don't want to waste hours of my time on this. Please help.

Daniel,
not that I am aware of. Are you aware that you can add the entire immediate family of a person in one go? You probably already have software to view this GEDCOM on your own PC, right? So using the "add immediate family" feature with some heavy copy-paste, you should be able to do 300 profiles in 2-4 hours max.

1/10/2011 at 9:53 AM

Thanks for the comment, but many of the profiles have a lot data (birth dates, dates of deaths, places, and other information). And I want to make sure that I don't miss anyone. It would still take a ton of time to get everything in there, which is just crazy considering I already have the data in a perfectly reasonable format. There is absolutely so reason Geni can't allow limited GED uploads. Even 50 at a time would be better.

4/21/2013 at 10:01 AM

Yep, it's not worth reloading the thousands I already have in my .ged file.

Private User
4/22/2013 at 5:12 PM

In my experience, I didn't need to create thousands of profiles or add in a lot of missing information. Since Geni is a collaborative effort and we have the merging system for the world tree, I typically only had to go back a few generations on some of my lines before I was able to merge in, saving me the extra hassle.

Think about it this way: You're saying that you found these 300 or so other relatives through a tree on another website. If you found that info, that means someone else already Geni almost certainly has a) found it as well and b) already done the profile work for you. In most cases like this, all you really need to do is find your spot to connect in.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion