Cousins

Started by Rolana on Wednesday, December 1, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 58 posts
12/1/2010 at 12:40 PM

I joined the collaboration pool the other day and I have checked to see how and if I am related to the people who have added me, I am truly amazed at the number of cousins I have :) I think that is one of the coolest things about genealogy.

12/1/2010 at 3:40 PM

Rolana Ruth Johnson (Cartwright) is your fourth cousin 11 times removed's 10th great niece!

Isn't it fun?

Our common ancestor is:

Alice Shelley

Private User
12/1/2010 at 4:02 PM

You're my 18th cousin once removed. :-) Thomas de Lewknor, Knight, of Horsted Keynes is our common ancestor.

Private User
12/1/2010 at 4:54 PM

Rolana, just sent you a collaboration request, too.

Rolana Ruth Johnson (Cartwright) is my 14th cousin twice removed. Our common ancestors are the Skipwiths, I think.

Private User
12/1/2010 at 4:57 PM

Robert, our common ancestors are the Mendenhalls and Strodes.
Robert Grant Brünner is Maria Edmonds-Zediker (Kremm)'s 13th cousin once removed.

12/2/2010 at 6:45 AM

Good to see I'm not the only one who finds that fun :)

12/2/2010 at 6:58 AM

Rolana - we are supposedly cousins but the specific path is one I have doubts about. But since I'm cousins with everyone else here haha, I am sure that we are related distantly in some way.

Private User
12/2/2010 at 9:42 AM

Hatte, add another cousin to that list -- Hatte Anne Blejer is my 12th cousin 4 times removed. We are related throught the Cromwell/Wellyfed lines.

That's what Geni is all about -- finding connections between people. Growing up, I thought I only had 15 cousins. Now I have so many. No matter how distant in blood or geography, I love learning about them all.

Private User
12/2/2010 at 9:47 AM

Erica Howton, due to a recent find of mine, we're much closer related than I thought previously. You're my 9th cousin twice removed through Michael Griswold of Wethersfield.

12/2/2010 at 11:20 AM

And a find of mine! Are we getting ourselves in sync? There are some issues with the Griswold tree though -- three Ann Adams running around CT at the same time. It was a narrow escape to get the Griswold one out of the John Quincy Adams family. Is she still entangled with the Staffords and the Jeremy Adams (no relation to J.Q.)?

12/2/2010 at 11:22 AM

Robert -- did you put up tombstone photo and fill out the profile? Nice job! I made it an MP.

He's showing as my 8th great grandfather. I'm not entirely convinced the line is correct though.

Private User
12/2/2010 at 11:26 AM

I didn't do the photos. I think we have Private User to thank for that.

I see that the Adams link is a mess. None of the info I have found has given hard-and-fast information about her.

12/2/2010 at 11:47 AM

Her parents are unknown and she may have gone by the name of Adams before marrying Michael Griswold. She is not the Ann Adams who married a Stafford and not the daughter of Jeremy Adams. So .... it took me a week to figure this part out and I'm still merging / cutting links.

I bet as a result we'll get closer in ancestry!

12/2/2010 at 6:02 PM

The reason I don't know whether I'm related to Rolana is because of the Bethany Hopkins parentage question. I have to go back and check, it may be that this was fixed. The problem with working on so many trees and branches is that you forget what you encountered and what issues there were :)

12/2/2010 at 6:07 PM

Hatte Rubenstein Blejer

Anne Williams Rubenstein Dick
your mother

Arthur Williams
her father

Harriett Stowe Williams
his mother

Henry Stowe
her father

Elisha Stowe
his father

John Stowe
his father

Stephen Stowe
his father

Samuel Stowe
his father

Bethiah Kelsey Stowe
his mother

Bethia Hopkins Kelsey
her mother

John Hopkins (twin)
her father

Damaris Cooke (Hopkins)
his sister

Sarah Cooke
her daughter

Sarah Phinney
her daughter

Sarah Holmes
her daughter

Elizabeth Hill
her daughter

William Hill
her son

Sophia Hannah
his daughter

Helen Hannah
her daughter

C. Williams
her son

R. Craig
his daughter

E. Cartwright
her son

R. Johnson

12/2/2010 at 6:09 PM
Private User
1/2/2011 at 10:02 AM

Just found this article and thought I would share it here.

Hi Cousin!
According to Guy Murchie writing in the 1980 Farmer's Almanac, every human being on earth is pretty closely related. It's a fact, Murchie says that each of us, whatever our race, is no less closely related to any other human than approximately 50th cousin.

"Simple arithmetic demonstrates that if we double the number of ancestors for each genration we look backward (consistantly multiplying them betwo: 2 parents, 4 grandparents, 8 great grand parents, 16 great great grandparents, etc.) our personal pedigree would cover mankind before the 30th generation -- because the 30th power of two, (1,073,741,842) is much larger than the Earth's population 30 generations ago." Murchie says.
Nine to Five
Dartnell Corporation

Private User
1/2/2011 at 11:20 AM

Rolanda, you are my 11th cousin, once removed.

1/2/2011 at 11:44 AM

Val, you are my 7th cousin twice removed.

1/2/2011 at 11:47 AM

And Rolanda, even removing Bethia Hopkins, you are my 13th cousin thrice removed.

Private User
1/5/2011 at 4:18 PM

This is one of my favorite stress-busters on Geni. I love being related to so many special people.

Geni says:
Hatte Anne Blejer is your 12th cousin four times removed
Myrna Huthmacher is your fifth cousin 9 times removed's wife's 6th great granddaughter. Phew! that's complicated!
Val John Jennings is your 10th cousin 8 times removed
Robert Grant Brünner is your 14th cousin.
Erica Isabel Howton is your 16th cousin once removed -- though we think we may be closer than that, once the tree fills in more.

1/5/2011 at 4:49 PM

Private User It really is amazing. I also like to go back and find the common ancestor, so you and I have a common ancestor as do Erica and I. Then when I write folks I can say - We share a 12th great grandfather, so and so.

1/5/2011 at 4:52 PM

For instance, Sir Henry Williams Cromwell, M.P. is my 11th great grandfather and your 15th great grandfather :)

1/5/2011 at 4:53 PM

Sir Henry Williams, alias Cromwell, MP

Grandfather of THE Oliver Cromwell.

1/5/2011 at 4:55 PM

Erica Howton you and I are both 11th great granddaughters of Michael Heneage, Esq. who was an official of the Tower of London.

1/5/2011 at 5:04 PM

Wonder if he imprisoned Oliver Cromwell. :)

1/5/2011 at 5:49 PM

I was wondering the same thing.

1/5/2011 at 5:54 PM

And Val and I share a common ancestor:

Ebenezer Leland

My 8th great grandfather and Val's 6th great grandfather.

1/5/2011 at 6:07 PM

Sometimes historic figures and their wives have a lot of duplicates, so while there is a relationship path, it may be an odd and probably flawed one:

Robert Grant Brünner is your 13th great grandfather's wife's 16th great grandson

So Edmund Dudley and his wife Elizabeth Grey (?) are probably Robert and my shared ancestors or perhaps not, perhaps there were multiple wives/husbands.

1/5/2011 at 6:11 PM

But Rolana and I have a fascinating shared ancestor as well:

Adm. Sir John Hawkins

her 15th and my 12 g grandfather. Lost at sea.

Showing 1-30 of 58 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion