Import of gedcom file

Started by Diderik Tonne Uchermann on Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 15 posts
12/22/2010 at 11:51 PM

Is it possible to import gedcom file into geni?
I have a complete family tree with more than 1400 people all the way back to 1450

Private User
12/23/2010 at 12:57 AM

Currently all GEDCOM imports are disabled, and you could only import a GEDCOM when starting a tree.

They are working on a new GEDCOM import feature where they focus on limiting the number of duplicates added, like in your case I would assume that your tree would be cut off at the top because the oldest lines already exist in Geni.

12/23/2010 at 1:24 AM

Thank you for your answere, I will wait untill a gedcom file import is awailable.

diderik,
instead of waiting, you might want to do some searches on Geni to find these ancient relatives of yours. You will very likely FIND them, and most profiles until around 1850 are public, so can be fully viewed by anyone. Geni has a VERY active community from Norway (more than 10%! of access to Geni is from Scandinavia), so their trees are extensive. You might discover that Geni already HAS a large percent of your tree....

If you do find these ancestors and want to hook-up your tree to the shared historical tree that is already there. Just post a request to the following discussion, with links to the two profiles you want connected, and a Curator will gladly do that for you:

http://www.geni.com/discussions/80793

Welcome to Geni.

1/4/2011 at 3:37 AM

My family tree is already in FTM and the link is here: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/u/c/h/Diderik-T-Ucherman...

1/4/2011 at 8:47 AM

sorry Mister Kam-Kahn

your answer is like : to put the horse behind the Wagon.
I like for instance the Geni looks.
But already have my tree in Gedcom format
Than I am not looking and searching in GENI
just because you think a lot is in it.
I would prefer a NOT shared tree in that case and then I could look if there are a lot of same entrances !!!
Not otherwise !!!
sorry

Ron,
How complete is your GEDCOM? It will never be as complete as a 1000 genealogist working TOGETHER to make it better. It's all a matter of duplicated effort. Doing the exact same work as somebody else is, is a complete waste of time and effort.

if you do NOT want a shared tree, then most likely you will NOT be very happy on Geni. Geni's explicitly declared goal is to have ONE single profile for each historical profile. So even if you create your "very own" copy of Henry VIII, for example, then sooner or later this copy WILL be merged into the "main one".

1/5/2011 at 2:29 AM

Mister Kam-Kahn
I think you make the first mistake in my opinion: only when other person´s already did add my ancestor´s already in your shared database, then your remark is valid, but because I am not able to import my GEDCOM version in a sort test environment, you don´t know if it is the case !!!
I like the view of your GENI tree´s , that is the reason I am in discussion, but there are enough other program´s that let the user free in doing things

1/12/2011 at 1:09 AM

Additional to the last remark of Mister Kam-Kahn.....
Your opinion about to be complete or not in GENI ????
Geni was not able or not willing to let me try it in the first place.
Now I have found another program, what was better suited for me and I could import all as I wanted.
For your information: I did look in your databases and did NOT found any connections to my tree, so my clear statement: everything I have is even better than nothing, whatever you may suggesting.
But now you from GENI do NOT have my additions and if that is what you want ? It is fine for me.
I do not like arroganz in which form than also may presented, I do have my own thoughts, also when others do have their own.
IT was the worst idea ever....from GENI to block the import possibilities for experienced users of other programs than GENI.
No hard feelings !

Private User
1/12/2011 at 3:25 AM

Wow, did you really check all 50 million profiles to find connections?

1/12/2011 at 3:46 AM

Oh you don't believe in your own search possibilities in Geni ?
You can check me and find somewhere in your database : Vit Ther Stappen.... I am a tester.... before I put an opinion, I checked and double checked

1/12/2011 at 6:21 AM

@Diderik: I looked at your FTM file, and I was quickly able to find a few common profiles already on Geni:

Christian Uchermann Nitter

http://www.geni.com/people/Peder-R%C3%B8berg/6000000008818989614

Gidsken Johanne Marcusdatter Backer

http://www.geni.com/people/Ludwig-J%C3%B8rgen-Johan-Wiese/600000000...

@Ron: As others have indicated, if you would prefer to have a tree that is not shared, you might be happier on a different site. The stated goal of Geni is to collaborate and to link trees together, and after years of trial-and-error, the site administrators have concluded that the best way to accomplish this goal is to encourage users to build onto the existing tree, NOT to upload lots of bulk data and then rely upon other users to clean up the duplicated information.

This is not "arrogance," nor is it a personal affront to you and your data. It's simply the best way for the site to operate at this time. We'd love to have you on board, but if this method is unacceptable to you, that is your choice.

9/7/2011 at 12:20 PM

I too have a gedcom file I would like to share and will wait for the new feature to be enabled.

Another thing is I am very new to geni. I found an important tree here that includes a lot of Norwegian relatives. I started editing the tree with no problem even though I never contacted the manager. I have sent email but there is no answer. Have I done something I shouldn't when I edited the existing tree?

9/7/2011 at 1:44 PM

Joan, as long as your information is verifiable (and, ideally, documented), you're doing exactly what you should be doing. :-)

9/8/2011 at 5:04 AM

Yes, They are my grandparents. I've been in their laps. Also lots of records of them. I also included the people in my family, some living and some not. Again, lots of records. Its great to finally have found my Norwegian roots!

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion