Started by Erica Howton on Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 495 posts
1/11/2011 at 7:43 PM

Angus,

Thank you so much for getting this project going. I cleaned up the project "overview" a bit and will start looking for some links / source material on the Allen family for reference.

Michael,

I'm wondering if you want to define the "Scope of Project" for us. Is it to track all Allens? Are we focusing around the "first immigrant" and his descendants, or do we go back in time, or both? Is the idea to clean up / merge, or are we building out as well (I hope the latter!)

1/16/2011 at 1:23 AM

Erica, I think we need to go both ways, past and future. The disconnections made, fractured the tree in several locations, diminishing and changing many accepted familial relationships.

Let's begin with George SR, since he is one of the people changed and targeted to be "cleaned-up" in the Allen family. "First Immigrant" would be perfect with past and future work, delineating USA from England.

Concerning George Sr's parents: I would like to see the ACTUAL evidence, including sources, why his parents were removed, not to mention why his wives profiles were changes, disconnected &/or merged. Perhaps, people "in the know" can edify us?

Thanks for all your efforts: Isabel, Angus and Justin.
I'm stepping back for awhile...

6/7/2011 at 10:20 AM

Katherine Allen, 1567-1649
Katherine "Starkes" Allen cannot be George Sr. wife, because she was his second wife. There is another Katherine Allen who is in the place of KSA as both his first and second wife. The Allens are radically morphing into a fictional soup...

6/7/2011 at 9:39 PM

Private User
Hatte Anne Blejer
Justin Swanstrom

Anne, Hatte, Justin I really need some help here ..the Allen Family is slowly disappearing..

I happened to get involved last year because Anne was not well so I offered to try and help Michael, I then had Justin take over but it looks like we are getting some activity in here again.

I

6/7/2011 at 10:29 PM

Angus, I'll be glad to join the project and do some work. But all of you know this Allen family better than I do.

Private User
6/7/2011 at 11:51 PM

Angus, are people deleting profiles?

I was never involved in this line btw (I don't have Anglo-American ancestry and I was helping MIchael with her Norwegian family). Can't help you much here ...

6/8/2011 at 8:51 PM

Hi Anne I messaged Michael to come in and add some of her info..

6/10/2011 at 5:43 PM

George Allen is the half-brother of my 9th great uncle. I'm a direct ancestor of other Allyns, but I'm assuming this is George "The Immigrant" and his immediate family, ancestors, and descendants, not all Allyns/Allens!

I can check NEGHS to see what they have published on him since there are sometimes breakthroughs.

6/10/2011 at 6:15 PM

Rhonda-Lee Robin Allen Barber, U.E.
Justin Swanstrom

i would like to introduce Rhonda into the discussion, she does have some more information.

Hatte as you know any help would be appreciated.

I am sure I mentioned that I got involved trying to help Michael Sortomme sort this out..I am not a relative.

6/10/2011 at 6:38 PM

I'm running off for the weekend but intend to look in and when I have time and focus to help out. Certainly call upon me if you need a curator and Angus / Justin are not around.

6/10/2011 at 6:46 PM

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000002576555894?return=match%...

So there are two George Allens, one of which has the marriage document attached, who is not the MP. Shall we merge?

This would make George Allen 56 when he married Katharine Starkes and she would be 19.

6/10/2011 at 6:49 PM

Hatte done..

6/10/2011 at 6:50 PM

Where did the marriage certificate go?

6/10/2011 at 7:25 PM

Hello ,
I am new to the group but have been trying to sort through some of this on my own ... and needless to say it can be confusing. Katherine was young when she married George ...she marries again at least on two more occasions but I have not been able to verify those yet.

I am involved in this project for personal resaons as my family are direct descendents.

6/10/2011 at 7:29 PM

Welcome Rhonda any help would be appreciated..

6/10/2011 at 7:35 PM

Thank-you for inviting me Angus . Have a good weekend all !

6/10/2011 at 7:39 PM

Welcome Rhonda. I assume that George must have been married previously. Now I have to go take a peek. I know he was married twice.

6/10/2011 at 7:47 PM

George Allen, of Sandwich Then there's this George Allen...

6/10/2011 at 8:23 PM

Hi Hatte,
George Allen's first wife is unknown at the moment , but yes he was married before . I have his father as John and mother as Elizabeth Alabaster.

6/10/2011 at 8:38 PM

George Allen, of Sandwich

Unknown Profile

Please compare these two and note the former having Katherine Starke as both wife and mother. Or am I reading wrong?

6/10/2011 at 8:55 PM

Hatte and Rhonda we believe this is the profile and the information in it's About Me that caused the bad merges in the Tree
Unknown Profile

6/10/2011 at 9:22 PM

I ran into a confusion also between Samuel of Braintree and Samuel of Windsor, Conn. who were apparently contemporaries ( maybe half brothers ?)
It appears that it was Samuel of Windsor who came over on the Mary/John and I do not know on what ship Samuel of Braintree traveled. I believe he was born in Braintree England in 1598 but I cannot confirm that. He first appears in 1635 and is married to Ann Whitmore in 1630 (in England?) They had 4 children: Samuel II born 1632 (moved to Bridgewater,Ma. and became known as Deacon Samuel and fought with distinction in King Philips War; Daughter Mary born 1634 married Nathaniel Greenwood: James born 1635/6 moved to Tisbury on Martha's Vineyard;Sarah born 1639 and she married Miles Standish's son Joseph.
Ann died in 1641 (age 29) and Samuel remarried to Margaret had two children Joseph born 1650 and Abagail born 1652. Joseph inherited the family property on the Fore river in Braintree and Abagail married
John Cary and moved to Bristol, R.I.

6/10/2011 at 9:28 PM

Rhonda do these have profiles on the Tree?
1) Samuel of Braintree
2)Samuel of Windsor, Conn

6/10/2011 at 9:43 PM

Well look at that - Henry Allen, of Sandwich MA i my 7th great grandfather and his father was a "George Allen" and his mother was "Catherine --".

Check him out. Is he a son of our George Allen

6/10/2011 at 9:52 PM

Yes I believe they do ... I am descended from the Samuel who is George's son and the other Samuel from Windsor Conn has a profie named Samuel Allen Sr you have it locked . It is in this project.

S. Windsor, Hartford County, Ct

Death:

April 24, 1648 (60)
S. Windsor, Hartford County, Ct

Immediate Family:

Son of Reginald 1563-1615 Allen and Katherine Allen

6/10/2011 at 10:16 PM

Samuel Allen, of South Windsor

Samuel Allen, of Braintree

Unknown Profile

Unknown Profile

Unknown Profile

6/10/2011 at 10:16 PM

I just merged the two Henrys, which makes George Allen my 8th great grandfather suddenly :)

I'll take a quick look at Samuel Allen Sr. I have an early taxi and train, so you might not hear from me again for two days.

6/10/2011 at 10:23 PM

Samuel Allen, of South Windsor
Samuel Allen, Sr. Transparent
Place of Burial: S. Windsor, Hartford County, Ct
Birth: circa 1588
Braintree, Essex County, England Citation_note
Death: April 24, 1648 (60)
S. Windsor, Hartford County, Ct Citation_note
Immediate Family:
Son of Reginald 1563-1615 Allen and Katherine Allen (Starkes)
Husband of Ann (MA) Amy Whitmore, Ales, Margaret Lamb (French) and Ann Amy Allen (Whitmore)

6/10/2011 at 10:25 PM

Samuel Allen, of Braintree
Samuel Lien Allen Citation_note Transparent
Birth: circa 1598
Bridgewater, Somerset, England Citation_note
Death: August 5, 1669 (71)
Braintree, Norfolk Co., MA Citation_note
Immediate Family:
Son of George Allen, Katherine Allen (Starkes/Davis) and Katherine Allen (Starkes)
Husband of Ann Amy Allen (Whitmore), Ann Allen (Whitmore) and Ann Whitmore
Father of Samuel Allen and Samuel Allen

6/10/2011 at 10:27 PM

Unknown Profile
Samuel Allen Icn_world
Birth: 1597
Death: 1669 (72)
Immediate Family:
Husband of Ann Whitmore

Showing 1-30 of 495 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion