Historical records matching Sir James Mann Wordie, CBE
About Sir James Mann Wordie, CBE
Sir James Wordie, CBE, was a Scottish polar explorer and geologist.
WORDIE, SIR JAMES MANN. 26/04/1889-16/01/1962. Ref: 2666. Male.
- Titles and British Honours: Knight (1957), CBE (1947).
- Place of Birth: Partick, Lanarkshire.
- Place of Death: Cambridge.
- Profession: Explorer, Geologist.
- Appointments Held: 1914 Geologist and Chief of Scientific Staff, Shackleton Polar Expedition; 1920 Geologist, W S Bruce Expedition, Spitzbergen; Numerous expeditions to polar regions; Fellow 1921, Tutor, Master 1952-9, St John's College, Cambridge University.
- Schools and Tutors: Glasgow Academy.
- Undergraduate Studies: B.Sc (Glasgow 1910), MA (Cantab).
- Postgraduate Studies: LL.D (Glasgow and Hull).
- Marital Status: Married (1923) Gertrude Henderson d.1971.
- Mother: Jane Catherine Mann.
- Father: John Wordie, carting contractor.
- War Service: 1914-18. 1917-19 Royal Artillery, France; 1939-45. Naval Intelligence Division.
- References: DNB 1961-1970, 1981, 1109-10; RSE Year Book 1963, 42-5; Who Was Who 6.
- Memberships: FRGS (1921, President 1951-4), FRSGS (1944), American Geographical Society.
- Date of Election: 06/03/1922.
- Proposers: Frederick Orpen Bower, Andrew Gray, James Gordon Gray, James Currie (Candidates List 1922).
- RSE Prizes and Medals: Bruce Prize 1926.
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002: Biographical Index. II. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. page 1014