This project seeks to collect all of the Jewish families from Kladno in Bohemia, Czech Republic.
Text from the International Jewish Cemetery Project:
KLADNO: (Středočeský kraj), Bohemia (Also used cemetery at Hostoun before 1889)
50°09' N, 14°06' E, 17 miles WNW of Praha (Prague), in central Bohemia.The city is part of the Prague metropolitan area. Jewish population: 430 (in 1900), 210 (in 1930) website in Czech with photo: not landmarked "The cemetery is located on the northern outskirts of the city in Slaný Street close to the town cemetery, 800 meters NE of the square. Founded in 1889. In several rows are about 180 tombstones.Buried here include rabbis prof. William Pollak and Herman Schwarz Josef Land; lawyer, a member of the municipal council of the city of Kladno and former mayor of the local Jewish religious communities JUDr. Berthold Deutschmann. Caretaker house is now abandoned with plans to adapt it for residential purposes. Ceremonial Hall by architects Gerstl Mühldorf was built in 1938 in the functionalist style. Until 1941, it functioned as a makeshift prayer house instead of closing. Today the city's cemetery. The cemetery is cleaned of any unwanted vegetation and all the tombs rebuilt. Currently, the ceremonial hall is rented by Syrius funeral company. The lease provides free ongoing annual maintenance of the cemetery. Regular maintenance ensures the ceremonial hall. Its roof was severely damaged, however, and repaired in 2004 at the expense of the Jewish community in Prague. In the future the total reconstruction of the cemetery house should be done to serve as an cemetery manager apartment." [October 2011] On the Central Bohemian Region (Středočeský kraj), 50°9′N 14°6′E, 25 km northwest of Prague. Kladno is the largest city of the region and holds a population together with its adjacent suburban areas of more than 110,000 people. The first written evidence of Kladno dates from the 14th century. In 1561 city rights were secured. Kladno was the historical birthplace of heavy industry in Bohemia (Poldi steel factory, the region's largest employer). The factory still stands but has been divided into smaller entities after privatisation and changes in ownership. Mining began here in 1842. The proximity to Prague helped to keep the local economy stable despite heavy industrial decline after the collapse of the communist regime. [February 2009] US Commission No. CZCE0000103 Town is in Bohemia-Kladno at 50°09' N, 14°06' E , 17 miles WNW of Praha (Prague).. Cemetery: 900 meters NNE in Slanska Street Present population is 25,000-100,000 with fewer than 10 Jews. Town: Mestsky Urad, oddeleni kultury, 272 01 Kladno. Regional: 1. Okresni Urad-Referat Kultury, PhDr. Pribyl, 272 63 Kladno, 2. Pamatkovy ustav strednich Cech, Engineer Arch. Ms. Volfova, Ceskomoravska 20-21, 190 00 Praha 9; tel. 853/11-11; 3. Jewish Congregation: ZNO Praha (Ms. Jana Wolfova), Maislova 18, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/2318664; and 4. Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3, 110 01 Praha 1; tel. 02/2310634. Key: Jews citizens of Kladno and caretaker: Jindrich Zika, Bukolska 148, 272 01 Kladno.
Earliest known Jewish community was 1864. 1900 Jewish population was 430. 1930 Jewish population was 210. The still active unlandmarked Reform/Progressive cemetery originated in 1889. The flat suburban site, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission via a continuous masonry wall and a continuous fence with a locking gate. Size of cemetery before and after WWII: 2518 sq. m. 100-500 gravestones, all in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from probably 1889-90-20th century. The marble and granite finely smoothed and inscribed stones or multi-stone monuments, some with portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves have Hebrew, German, and/or Czech inscriptions. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Within the limits of the cemetery are a pre-burial house, a well, and a gravedigger's house. The local Jewish community owns the site used for Jewish cemetery and a garden. Adjacent properties are agricultural and municipal cemetery. Frequently, private visitors stop. The cemetery was never vandalized. Jewish groups within country re-erected stones, patched broken stones, cleaned stones, cleared vegetation, and fixed gate and roof of ceremonial hall. Current care: occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals and by regular caretaker paid by Praha Jewish Congregation. Security (uncontrolled access) and vandalism are moderate threats. Weather erosion and vegetation are slight threats. Vegetation overgrowth seasonally prevents access. Arranging new water pipes close to cemetery is a moderate threat. Engineer Mojmir Maly, Ve Stresovickach 58, 169 00 Praha 6; tel. 35-57-69 and Jiri Fiedler, z"l, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5; tel. 02/55-33-40 completed survey on 19 May 1992. Documentation: 1. 1892 Short History of Jewish Congregation and 2. Census. The site was visited in 1992 by Maly. No interviews. Last Updated on Friday, 07 October 2011 16:22