Started by Martin Vatshelle on Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 14 posts
9/14/2011 at 6:17 AM

I believe
Jan van Wessel
was one of the Duch imigrants setteling in Bergen. It is a bit unsure where in the Netherlands he came from, but I think he lived for a while in Amsterdam.
He is the head of a very fameous family in Norway and it is said to be a family tradition to get 12 sons, so he has a wide family.

Many Norwegians are interested in knowing where he came from!
If any of you can help we Norwegians would be greatful for all information.

Private User
9/14/2011 at 6:22 AM

George J. Homs Sjors, hebben wij al WESSELTJEs in de albums geplakt? If you know some of these ancestors of Martin, we can start a cooperation-collaboration project in view of our investment in:
http://www.geni.com/projects/Ⓓutch-◦-Ⓓocumentation-◦-Ⓓepartment
Maybe we should make a start with a little English summery there, but that was not my first focus. Martin, do you understand German, Dutch or French too? we mail again, ok?

Private User
9/14/2011 at 6:28 AM

I started a project with the -temporarily- name:
http://www.geni.com/projects/ⓓ-◦-WESSEL
where we start putting all profiles found in the netherland -and Norway I hope- with this surname: WESSEL
and everyone with relative who share this surname are welcome too!

9/14/2011 at 6:45 AM

It will be a challenge, as the oldest traces on jan Wessels are BEFORE the keeping of baptism records became the rule. Yes, I come a lot of Wessels, very often used as a patronym. I'll see what I can find!

9/14/2011 at 6:47 AM

Jan Wessel had 17 children. Was his mission to re-populate Norway, or what? :-)

Private User
9/14/2011 at 6:48 AM

I think he wanted to sail to SPITSBERGEN and lost his warm sweater somewhere....

Private User
9/14/2011 at 6:51 AM

and many children: we have champions with that in holland too, you know? Once I lost the number for I thought: that women must be a Sarah to be able to get a medal for the most populated family, but yes, there where no pills then, so maybe we should just be proud of woman who were proud to have husbands like them...

9/14/2011 at 10:26 AM

Hi, thanks for the intrest.
I can read German, and using that combined with google translate I understand Dutch too, but it takes a long time.

There is several conflicting pices of information about Jan Wessel (born ca. 1580). As you see there is an even earlier source of a Peter Wessel from Germany, but there is no evidence he is the father of Jan. According to an old newspaper article (which I am not able to get hold of) the familyname Wessel originates from Wesel i Westphalen (which I believe was a part of Germany).
However Wessel is a common Duch name and Jan Wessel found a duch wife. So even the question of what country they come from is unsetteled.
About the many children I agree that it is a lot, hovever 12-15 children was rather common in Norway at that time. Henrik Jansen Wessel supposedly also had 12 sons and a couple of daughters. However the church records for that particular curch and time has been lost so we lack accurte information about his children.

9/14/2011 at 10:45 AM

Martin, thanks for your feedback. My feeling is that -jMu-'s idea about the Noordsche Compagnie was right. We have to get a better grip on anyone involved in that Compagnie's activity (specifically to Bergen, I think). Over the past two days, I added two new profiles of people involved in the Noordsche Compagnie - Petrus Plancius and Jacques Niquet. Here's the link to the project page: http://www.geni.com/projects/Noordse-Compagnie-%E2%80%A7-1614-1642-...
I think we need more research into the Noordsche Compagnie. With focus, we might get a better grip on the merchants involved in it, including the employees and adventurers that stayed in Bergen (and elsewhere and built families.
I see that the Wessel tree is currently managed mostly by Scandinavians. I have looked myself, but it takes time. Perhaps we need a few more Dutch to try and identify the 'original Wessel' :-)
-jMu-, what do you think? Can you find some Dutchies to focus on this?

Private User
9/14/2011 at 12:27 PM

Private User heeft beloofd dat ze Wessels aan het D-project gaat koppelen, dan hebben we een start.

Private User
9/14/2011 at 12:36 PM

Jason Scott Wills has also profiles with the surname WESSEL in his pocket, so maybe he like to search for Norwegian descendants too?

9/14/2011 at 1:26 PM

As always, Ann has done it before we can even finish our sentence :-)
Jeannette, why don' you launch an appeal to the Dutch portal to look for the Wessels that may have gone to Scandinavia?
But, of course, I'll look for it too :-)

Private User
9/14/2011 at 1:43 PM

and please make that announcement for me, for I'm busy filling de d-WESSEL page with some documentation for our Norwegian brothers & sisters.

1/21/2019 at 12:32 PM

Could this be a relative maybe a brother of Jan Wessel born in 1580? Arendt Wessels was from Holland but a resident in Emden: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QLRT-PLQD

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion