title

Started by Randy Schoenberg on Sunday, April 1, 2012
Showing all 14 posts
4/1/2012 at 1:38 PM

This project could also be called, like the recent book, Holocaust by Bullets.

4/1/2012 at 2:10 PM

Randy,

What about doing a sub project for Belarus.

I know of one town where the Jews were murdered by the Einsatzgruppen Death Squad. This town is Dereczyn, where my paternal grandfather came from.

Kevin

4/1/2012 at 2:19 PM

We could set up regional sub-projects for each area, an then you can add town sub-projects there.

4/1/2012 at 2:27 PM

That's why I prefer to do it by region because then we have our families and their neighbors and relatives together and we have a place for the details for each town or village.

4/1/2012 at 2:28 PM

Kevin Lawrence Hanit - I have set two up for Lithuania (Lithuanian Massacres) and Ukraine (Holocaust in Ukraine). You can take a look at that format which would work for Belarus.

4/1/2012 at 3:40 PM

Thanks for the information.

4/1/2012 at 3:49 PM

I don't think we can cover all the locations in these regions before Yom haShoah, but I am trying to find information on the well known mass killings and am adding profiles, some of which have been from my family or my husband's family but otherwise I use Google to find profiles on Geni to add.

4/1/2012 at 4:03 PM

So for instance, search on "Bialystok Ghetto" or "Babi Yar" or some phrase and use the Advanced Search option and put in geni.com in the field for source in Advanced Search.

4/1/2012 at 4:06 PM

Thank you Randy Schoenberg I just ordered the book on Amazon.

4/1/2012 at 7:29 PM

I do not like "Holocaust by Bullets", any more than I would have liked "Holocaust by Gas". Flippant book titles meant to generate sales do not reflect the seriousness of our purposes. If we would like to call a spade a spade, call it "Mass Murder in the Soviet Republics by Nazi Einsatzgruppen and their Local Collaborators", which would include 600 of my relatives killed in our ancestral town of Logoysk, Belarus, whom I will add as soon as I can figure out the crazy Geni search engine for adding profiles to Geni projects.

4/1/2012 at 8:04 PM

Adam - I was not able to add a public profile to a project today because I don't collaborate with the sole manager. As long as you are the manager of the profile, or collaborate with the manager, and the profile is public, you can add to a project once you join the project. There are three ways to do it:

Easiest is from Actions drop down on profile. Choose Add to Project and there will be a drop down of the projects you have joined. Or on the middle right hand side of the profle there is an Add to Project link, assuming that it's the first project you're adding the profile to. Or, alternatively, "follow" the profile and go to the project you want to add it to and from the Actions for the Project, on the drop down, choose Add Profile and type in the last name or the first if it's fairly unique and click on the correct choice if there are several.

4/1/2012 at 9:09 PM

Adam Robert Brown,

Currently there is no sub-project for Belarus as I also want to add some of my family to it. My father's paternal family was from Dereczyn or Derechin.

Kevin

4/1/2012 at 10:55 PM
4/2/2012 at 7:00 AM

Malka,

I've added some information about Dereczyn and corrected the order of the Ghettos.

I will be creating a Ghetto page for Dereczyn.

Kevin

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion