Started by Private User on Tuesday, May 8, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 43 posts
Private User
5/8/2012 at 9:35 AM

Well this is by far, confusing to say the least. How is it that our King died in September when passover is in the spring? It is so sad when holy things are mishandled by people who pretend to know what they are doing and then mislead others who just don't know better. In addition our lord was not born in the spring as you say. You are left to the Lord for judgement +

Private User
5/8/2012 at 10:01 AM

Dear Geni-Team, where is "unsubscribe" ur "unfollow" button for this very important thread?

5/8/2012 at 10:32 AM

It's on the same line as the title on the right side of the page, next to "Start a New Discussion."

5/14/2012 at 4:58 AM

Private User Michelle, you are not making this any less confusing! Passover is a jewish holiday celebrating the Exodus of the Israelites from Pharaoes Egypt. And has absolutely nothing to with Jesus.

You are probably thinking of the christian celebration we call Easter.

I suggest you should start by reading these two wiki-articles, allthough they are not fulfilling in any way, but will give you basic history of the easter celebration and the controvercies around it's dating: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_controversy

And, yes, it is sad when things, holy or not, are mishandled by people who pretend to know what they are doing and then mislead others.

And while I'm at it, you say "our lord was not born in the spring", by this I guess you meen Jesus. How do you know he was not born in the spring? Where is your documentation? This wiki-article may enlighten you to why we are celebrating this on December 25th, and also give you some other dates March, April and May. So, again, you state he was not born in the spring, where is your documentation to tha statement?

Looking forward to your well documented answers!

V
5/14/2012 at 7:56 AM

In reality, there should be NO Death Date, as he did NOT DIE. AMEN

5/14/2012 at 3:09 PM

And where is your documentation for that statement, Christopher. And preferably something that is as primary as possible, and not written several 100 years after the event or amended several times?

In reality, it is impossible to not die!

V
5/14/2012 at 5:21 PM

For a Human, yes Death is inevitable.
Jesus was anything but Human.
Have Faith Cousin Remi.

5/14/2012 at 5:29 PM

jesus was only declared son of god 300 years after his death by vote in the council of Nicea. hardly compelling evidence

V
5/14/2012 at 5:47 PM

Never heard that one before Jason.
I can tell you that not only was Jesus the son of GOD,
but that he was GOD at the same time.
Such matters of Heaven cannot be understood by Mankind.
If one cannot resource the Living word of GOD (Bible) then there are no Sources.
This subject is probably mute, as there are a handful of non-Faithful (and they have that right) that will always ask for proof, proof, proof, when it comes to Religion.
If the work of GOD, could be understood by Man (or proven),
it would no longer be Wonderful.
And Faith would have NO Merit, if Reason provided Proof.

V
5/14/2012 at 5:58 PM

Actually, For our LORD Jesus`s Profile to be accurate, a Special Profile would have to be created.
His Birth was like no other and as far as his Death. He was Crucified at Golgatha (his Body).
However, his Spirit Defeated Death. So really, there is no Death date.
This is common knowledge throughout the Religious World, and made available to those who have not yet received the Good News.

5/14/2012 at 9:03 PM

My dear cousins: Is it true that most Christians believe that our planet Earth is only six-thousand years old and that the beginning of humankind started with Adam and Eve and that it propagated itself to our present day through various incestuous relationships beginning with Eve and her own son Cain?

The reason I ask is simply because my DNA test results tell me a very very different story. According to my mtDNA test results, we all descended from Mitochondrial Eve over 120,000 years ago and certainly not 6,000 years ago.

How are all of you able to reconcile your religious beliefs with our current knowledge about our human origins out of the African Continent? Do all of you believe that all humans (including humans of different races) on our planet are related?

I am truly interested in understanding the logical reasoning behind everyone's understanding and/or reconciliation between Biblical Stories about creation and our current scientific understandings about how our kind originated. I truly would like to hear from everyone -- all comments are welcome.

5/14/2012 at 10:55 PM

Soort answer, Enrique, you are more or less correct. And to get back to approx. 4000 BC a lot of the people mentioned in the Bible had to be several 100 years old when they died.

Christopher, this is a genealogical site, and I'm a genealogist. As such I'm doing my researching by the statement that the person that claimes something as a fact has to prove that fact, if that is impossible, it's not a fact anymore. It's not up tp anyone else to disprove another persons "facts" since that is more or less impossible. I cannot disprove that a woman is not a persons mother without proving who is that persons mother.

So, please keep faith out of genealogy, genealogy is difficult enough allready. And I have faith, Christopher, but I doesn't mix it with my genealogy. Anything and everything in our genealogical databases, that we say is a fact, should have a credible source. The rest is more or less heresay whan it comes to genealogy, and should be kept out or marked as a possibility and not as a fact.

Private User
5/16/2012 at 3:58 PM

Greetings Christopher Lee Empey. Peace to you in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and grace from His Father, G-d. Blessed are the saints who have been given wisdom and understanding from the one who can not be comprehended by limitations of time nor place. It is my good pleasure to observe that your heart has been enlightened. Blessed is our holy G-d who does hide knowledge from the wise and reveal it to children who receive by faith. +

5/16/2012 at 7:57 PM

Private User why do you hide the word God? Are you scared of writing the word?

You haven't answered a single question of mine! Why not? I can comprehend a lot, but obviously you cannot comprehend the difference between Passover and Easter. You are not willing to discuss these things with me, which shows that you're not up to the task.

You obviously doesn't know the difference between judeaism and christianity and the difference between Passover and Easter.

Please give more logical thinking to your next message. The last one was just jibberish to me. And since I didn't understand a single word, please refrase it so a person not having english as his main language can understand it.

Please, Michelle, understand that this is a genealogical site, and not a place for worship, faith and believes.

5/16/2012 at 8:50 PM

I am not Christian although I have Christian ancestors, but I do know that The Last Supper was the first night of Passover and was a Passover Seder that he attended. So yes, it is Easter and yes, it is ALSO Passover.

5/16/2012 at 10:50 PM

Remi, writing the name as G-d is considered appropriate by (some) Jews and (some) Protestants. It's a sign of exceptional reverence.

Let's be respectful, please.

5/17/2012 at 1:54 PM

I learn new things almost every day, and I have never heard that some would write the name this way.

If some got offended by what I wrot to Michelle in my first sentence, I apologies. The main thing thou stands unanswered.

Hatte, according to the wiki articles mentioned earlier, your statement is not correct. Passover is not a christian holiday. Some christians celebrate the passover, but it is the jewish reason for the holiday they celebrate, and not the christian reason, which is called Easter, which is happening at the same time, but for a different reason. So, in my opinion, Easter is not also Passover, since the the reason for the celebrations are very far apart, both in what happened and in time.

5/17/2012 at 4:16 PM

Paschal as in the Paschal lamb is from Pesach - Passover. Remi I have a degree in religious history and am fluent in Hebrew. I read Aramaic and other ancient Semitic languages. My mother is Episcopalean. I have lived in Jerusalem and visited the important sites related to Jesus. I think I can pass on the lectures in the history of Easter and Passover from you. Jesus was captured on the first night of Passover - which was a Seder where the Jews commemorate the going out from Egypt and freedom from slavery to Pharoah. That is the reason that Easter and Passover occur around the same time. The only reason that they are not at the same time is that Christians have switched calendars several times. There is indeed a major relationship between Easter and Passover.

5/17/2012 at 4:17 PM

I suggest that you have a LOT to learn Remi and Justin for instance could teach you a lot. Open your ears and your eyes and learn.

5/17/2012 at 5:17 PM

Then I concede to your better knowledge. Please try to update the wiki pages, that, in my humble interpretation, is wrong.

I'm not quite sure what Justin could teach me when it comes to religious history, you seem to be a better candidate to do that than him, allthough I don't know how much he knows about religious history. As you see, I'm obviously not knowledgable about this, because a rely (partly) on false wiki-articles.

And I allways have my eyes and ears open!!!

5/17/2012 at 6:17 PM

Sorry, Hatte, TI just feel that I have to write this:

The Christian Easter is celebrating the death and awakening after death of Jesus Christ. The Passover is celebrating the jews escape from Pharaoes Egypt. So far not related at all.

Yes, Jesus and his disciples celebrated Passover when he was arrested. Christianity didn't exist at this time, so no christian holiday could exist.

But the reasons that they are not occuring at the same time has also to with the catholic church desitions through time. The jewish holiday are probably more or less constant in time (you probably knows this better than me), while, after a while, it was decided that Easter Sunday should be the first sunday after full moon after the spring equinox.

And as a religious historian you should know all the facts about how the timing of the Easter holiday has changed, and you should also know about the procedure called Computus. And you should ofcourse also know about the difference in definitions through history: when Easter is after the Nicean meeting, when Easter is in the Julian calender, when Easter is in the gregorian calender.

And did you know that Denmark-Norway had their own definition of when Easter was after the year 1700 and that this wasn't changed before 1778?

In 2019, it's equinox in my part of the world March 20th at time 22:58, fullmoon occurs 4 hours later, March 21st at time 02:43. By todays rule of when Easter should occur, Easter should be March 24th, but infact Easter is 4 weeks later. The reason is that the old rule should not be taken literally, as in practical use averages and not the exact times.

As you see, there are a lot of things we need to take into consideration about the Passover and the Easter, but, allthough they are happening at the same time, it is not the same holiday.

5/17/2012 at 10:01 PM

Remi, I'm pretty good at religious history, but you're right that Hatte is so far above me that you're better to learn from her. I have a minor in medieval philosophy. She has a degree in religious history. Worlds of difference.

On the topic at hand, you might not know that many Christians (at least in the US) celebrate both. Some conservative Protestant churches celebrate Passover because it is a commandment. And, some liberal Protestant churches have a Seder jointly with a local synagogue because it is a good ecumenical experience that enhances the meaning of Easter.

Easter and Passover commemorate different events, but they are thematically very similar. In fact, there is a large academic literature that argues Jesus was not really crucified after Passover. Instead (so the argument goes) the idea that Jesus was the Paschal lamb (the Passover sacrifice) was a midrash, which Gentiles later misunderstood as fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midrash

If you're interested, there are some very good books on the subject. One of my favorites is John Shelby Spong's Liberating the Gospels: Reading the Bible with Jewish Eyes (1996).

http://www.amazon.com/Liberating-Gospels-Reading-Bible-Jewish/dp/00...

5/17/2012 at 11:39 PM

I won't be around. I had a death in the family.

5/18/2012 at 3:54 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that, Hatte. We'll all be thinking of you, and of course, this subject will still be here when you're ready to resume.

Private User
5/21/2012 at 7:58 AM

+ Blessed is the holy name of the Lord. Sometimes the most powerful voice is a silent one. My task is to give notice not to clarify.

9/17/2012 at 7:01 PM

You have to unstand the HOLY BIBLE is God's words to the ones that wrote it

9/18/2012 at 11:17 AM

The HOLY BIBLE is just a book nothing more. Sorry - read URANTIA

9/18/2012 at 12:19 PM

I just wrote a great deal about this subject and it was whisked away from me and is gone into the great nothing-ness of space.
That is just mean and cruel.

9/18/2012 at 12:20 PM

One day we will all see behind the veil of life and death.

9/18/2012 at 12:24 PM

Life is far more than most people realize it to be on the surface.
Life is energy and a powerful force in the universe.
There is light and there is darkness. Both serve a purpose.
I believe that Jesus Christ was able to master their purpose.

Showing 1-30 of 43 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion