• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 25 posts
6/13/2012 at 5:16 AM

I think we need to define this project before we get to much further.
Karelia is not JUST the lost territories, as i understand it North and South Karelia are still provinces of Finland and other parts of Karelia have "never" been a part of Finland (not even at the height of the Swedish kingdom).
So we need to define exactly which Karelia we are looking at.

Private User
6/13/2012 at 5:25 AM

Your definition is ok for me. I am most interesting in the people who lived there. The description for this project need more text.

6/13/2012 at 7:43 AM

Private User?

My personal interest in Karelia is entirely due to the ceded parishes, if not for the 1940 Treaty then Karelia would be "just another Finnish province", to me at least.

Not sure how that affects your proposal Lars, i'm fine to move the links.
Good night from Down Under

Private User
6/13/2012 at 8:08 AM

Yes, the definition is broader than lost territories. As I am actually born in South Karelia, I would feel it odd that it wouldn't be included.

Private User
6/13/2012 at 8:12 AM

Current division:
- South Karelia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Karelia
- North Karelia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Karelia
- Entire Karelia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelia

I'm not sure how the definitions have changed during the history.

6/13/2012 at 3:44 PM
6/13/2012 at 3:47 PM

So we shall look at North Karelia, South Karelia, Karelia Isthmus and Ladoga Karelia (as shown on the map on the project)?
I think that includes all areas of Karelia that have ever been Finnish/Swedish, although it has changed so many times and i don't claim to be an expert.
I actually find all the Wikipedia articles quite confused (at least the English versions)

6/14/2012 at 12:26 AM

I modified this map that shows the "Karelia" that was lost after the Winter War and added South and North Karelia. Do we like red? I can change to blue without too much difficulty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Finnish_areas_ceded_in_1944.png

6/14/2012 at 12:27 AM

Private User any idea how to make the image appear larger when it is displayed on the project page?

Private User
6/14/2012 at 1:05 AM

How to make the projectimage larger: Click on the picture (with left button on the pcmouse). Then will the picture (of your map in the project) be larger.

What shall we use this project to ? What shall the project contents ?

6/14/2012 at 7:52 PM

I've written a more descriptive introduction.
I think i've summarised the history and definition and our intentions well but please remember that i am 50% Croatian, 25% German and 25% Dutch, I have never been to Karelia or even Finland, I can't read or write Karelian or Finnish and had never even heard of Karelia before maybe 4 years ago. That is to say, I am no expert so if u disagree with what i write/say please say so.

6/14/2012 at 7:53 PM

Arnfred,
What are we doing with this project? => I don't know, I thought you knew!

6/14/2012 at 8:01 PM

If anyone wants to translate what i've written into Finnish or Swedish (or even Karelian) feel free.
I only intend to use the english "Karelian" but if you want to make the entire project tri-lingual i have no problem with that.
If any of you prefer to add information into the project in a language you are more comfortable with than english please do so and i will translate to english. If my translations aren't very good i apologise and hope that other collaborators will fix my mistakes.

Private User
6/15/2012 at 12:16 AM

At least I don't currently have the bandwidth to translate it. Karelian isn't a language of its own just a flavor of Finnish.

Private User
6/15/2012 at 12:26 AM

I know what I shall use this project to (or doing with this project). To: Add profiles which is about Karelian born people, to make a project where one can find genealogical resources specific for Karelia, it is ok that it is written in English so more people worldwide can use it, and so on .......

6/15/2012 at 12:28 AM

Arnfred, i like most of what you said except about adding profiles of Karelian born people.
I hope you don't mean all profiles of Karelian people (i have hundreds, so linking them all would be a bit meaningless).

6/15/2012 at 12:31 AM

Lars,

Some people disagree with you, i've come across many references to Karelian as a language, apparently there is even a dictionary.
I even found one article that described how the Eastern dialect is dying out because the Russian education system doesnt have any structure in place to train teachers in that language ( i think the eastern dialect has no alphabet).
Of course this is all just "stuff" that i read on the internet!
Dinner tonight with wife's parents, i shall ask mother-in-law if she speaks Finnish or Karelian, see how she reacts.

Private User
6/15/2012 at 12:45 AM

My problem is to find the profiles I made quick. Therefore I always use the project "Western Finnmark in Norway pre 1720 ..." to add some profiles for people born before 1720. I find the profiles there in this project and can work with the tree more easy this way.

I shall not add all the profiles of Karelian born people which is on Geni to the "Karelian" project. Only selected profiles of people born before 1720. If this is ok for you.

6/15/2012 at 4:04 AM

It's up to you Arnfred, we are collaborators remember, all are equal. Just like comrades :)

Private User
6/15/2012 at 4:37 AM

"Comrades" -> Ho ho ho (laughter).

6/15/2012 at 4:52 AM

Do you know George Orwell and Animal Farm?
All comrades are equal but some are more equal than others.

Private User
6/15/2012 at 5:13 AM

I know this book "Animal farm 1983 of George Orwell . Do you want to join this project -> http://www.geni.com/projects/Authors-of-Great-Literature/475

6/15/2012 at 5:38 AM

Thanks for the invite but i'm not a literary type, i do read a lot but not really the "classics".
Animal Farm and 1984 were two different books written by the same author, i was _forced_ to read them at school.

Private User
6/16/2012 at 12:36 PM

I stand corrected regarding the Karelian language, I found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelian_language . Where I was born, in Lappeenranta, we spoke the karelian dialect of finnish. Lappeenranta hasn't, according to the map on the above page, belonged to the area where "true" Karelian was spoken.

6/16/2012 at 5:02 PM

I don't think my wifes family speaks Karelian either just the karelian dialect of finnish like your family.

Showing all 25 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion