John Oscar Harlin of Stockholm, Sweden

Started by Linda Lea Christ on Friday, August 24, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 23 posts
8/24/2012 at 11:36 AM

John Oscar Harlin born in Stockholm about 1852.
He was a goldsmith/silversmith/jeweler.
Arrived in USA about 1881.
Became a US citizen/naturalized October 1, 1888 in Kings County, Brooklyn NY.
Witnessed by Gustave Ericson.
Volume 170; Copy of Record No. 211; H645.
This is my great grandfather.
He worked in New Jersey for Thomas Edison for a brief time before gaining employment at Tiffany's in New York.
He and his wife (Louisa Anderson of Uppsala, Sweden) had 5 children.
Christine- died in infancy
Lillian- married Herman Gessner, a tailor.
Desideria Eve- married William Charles Christ.
Oscar John Harlin- married- had issue-
Helen- died at age 18 from TB.
Desideria and William are my grandparents.
They lived and died in New Jersey.
This Christ family tested for DNA at Genebase.com and was found to be Haplogroup I1 Y dna M253. Also autosomal tested.
My mt dna haplogroup is T2.
The Gessner Y dna is I1.
Would like to find surviving Harlin family either in USA or Sweden.
Would like to find surviving Anderson family either in USA or Sweden.
Linda

8/25/2012 at 9:46 AM

Swedish census 1970 lists 170 Harlins for a starter...

8/25/2012 at 11:28 AM

And probably his first name 'John' was 'Johan'. Oscar or Oskar as well.

He is not listed in the 1880 census - and unfortunately the 1870 census has not yet been fully digitized and indexed. But no doubt he can be found, even from scratch. It just requires some time and work,

/Sten

8/25/2012 at 12:13 PM

Detta kanske är något att titta närmare på? Strömsund ligger i Jämtland.

http://gravar.se/Str%C3%B6msunds%20Pastorat/6761/Johan%20Harlin

/Agneta

Private User
8/25/2012 at 12:20 PM

Harlin could be anglification of Härlin or Hårlin.
But I found him as Johan Oscar Hörlin, goldworker in Stockholm (Katarina parish) 1880 living alone.
In the Stockholm City Archive (Rotemansarkivet) I find him with his parents and a younger brother. He was born on Oct 13 1855 in Stockholm (Clara parish). And there is a note that he moved to America on July 14, 1881.

More later when I have had time to read the chuech records.

8/25/2012 at 12:43 PM

Well done indeed! No doubt you got the guy - and the rest is nothing but work :)

Mycket bra. Hade tom tänkt på Heurlin (hade en skolkompis, Elisabeth Heurlin). Men jag kollade faktiskt först på Stockholm innan jag släckte ner för i kväll.

/Sten

8/25/2012 at 1:48 PM

Father Johan Johansson Harlin, mother Margareta Christina 09/24/1822 - 01/01/1917. Brother Rikard Reinhold 02/07/1861 (Folkkungagatan 4, Johannes, Stockholm) - 01/19/1917 (Klara, Stockholm), a twin his brother being Richard Edward, probably died young.

8/25/2012 at 1:48 PM

Hörlin, sorry...

8/26/2012 at 2:25 PM

Oh, wow, I am so very happy that you found this much information on my great grandfather and my great great grandparents. Thank you ever so much. I loved Johan Oscar Harlin's daughter, Desideria Eve Harlin, my grandmother, so very much. This means a great deal to me. Thank you with all my heart.
Linda Lea Christ

8/26/2012 at 2:34 PM

Happy with you :) But again, the main credit for this break through goes to Bo-Arne, OK?

8/26/2012 at 2:39 PM

Anyway, kind of interesting that he Americanized his name the way he did. That he, a Swedish speaker, opted out from the closest John Oscar 'Horlin' ( as a matter of fact he is listed that way in the immigration docs available on line) is understandable to any Swedish speaker, but then 'Herlin' would have been much closer phonetically to the Swedish pronounciation of his name 'Hörlin'.

Private User
8/26/2012 at 11:38 PM

Linda Lea,
Johan Oscars parents moved in and out of the different Stockholm parishes several times (as most poor people did). So tracing them requires a lot of searching in the photo copied church books (they are not indexed or cross referenced).
His father, son of a farmer (born on Sept 26 1823 in Rönna, Härnevi in Swedish province Västmanland), worked in different short term employments that not required education. When he died in1878 (June 16, in Katarina parish) he was a tailor apprentice.
I will continue to search his mother Margareta Christina Gothberg (?) .
His brother died unmarried 1939.

If you change the profiles of Johan Oscar and his parents (if you have entered them) to public profiles I can help you build your tree.

8/27/2012 at 10:28 AM

Sten:
Regarding your inquiry about the name change, they tried to blend in with a sizable Irish population of immigrants with the name Harlin. They lived in Brooklyn, NY for a while.
Linda

8/28/2012 at 6:56 AM

Wish to mix in with the Irish?? Only real Swedes would have the nerve to do that :) Yes, you should really make those old and dead profiles public if you want some real help to build the tree back to 1600 something - or with good luck, even further. Also his brother Richard Reinhold (+1939) had a twin brother Richard Ewald, who probably - but we don't yet know that for sure - died young.

Sten

Private User
8/29/2012 at 1:41 PM

Linda,
Now I have entered the 'simple' profiles of your ancestors. I may add som siblings to those later.
Margareta Christina Gottberg is a problem. She moves out of the Storkyrko-parish in Stockholm 1846. She was not born there but I have not found a record for her moving in to the parish. In all records I have found her birthplace is just noted as Stockholm without a parish. Since anybody could choose any surname in those days Gottberg does not imply it was her fathers name.

/Bo-Arne

8/29/2012 at 2:03 PM

So how about Johan (Johansson) Hörlin? He was living with his son JO Hörlin in Katarina Östra Inre a few years but seem to have vanished (died) aro 1879. While his wife Margareta Christina Hörlin was claimed to be a 'muraränka' (mason's widow), in the final years of his life like 1875-1878 he went by the proffesion of a 'gaständare' (gaslight man). At the 1880 census Margareta Christina is now listed as a widow. Yes, Bo-Arne is right, chasing people around through decades and parishes in Stockholm, can drive one nuts. Though Margaretsa Christina was indeed listed to be living in Justizia 33/34 or something like that, a large quarter in Catharina, Stockholm, following those guys backwards is a job for fanatics only - and mayby for us :)

/Sten

8/29/2012 at 2:05 PM

Bo-Arne, are you so sure about his father Johan Johansson Hörlin?

If so I have been on a wrong track with him...

/SW

Private User
8/29/2012 at 11:45 PM

Sten,
In Rotemansarkivet you find Johan Jansson Hörlin with family living on Tjärhovsgatan 35-37 in Katarina parish, where he dies on 1878-6-16.
At the marriage in Hedvig Eleonora 1850-11-24 he is titled 'stentryckeriarbetare'. Around 1875 he is 'gaständare' and 1878 'skräddargesäll'.

8/30/2012 at 2:39 AM

Känner till Rotemansarkivet men har aldrig använt det. While born in Stockholm myself I haven't done much research in Stockholm City, because most of my family comes from Skåne (both parents of my father) or from Dalsland (mormor) or Mähren (morfar - Moravia, JosephGulda immigrated to Stockholm aro 1850).

But as I see Rotemans saves a lot of time when chasing ancestors in Stockholm City, thanks for the reminder.

VH

/Sten

Private User
8/30/2012 at 7:13 AM

Just for regularity's sake I am tagging the profile of John Oscar to this discussion:
John Oscar Harlin

9/21/2012 at 9:15 AM

Bo & Sten:
According to my cousin, The French Royal Guard was Swedish.
King Louie XVI could not have children as he had problems with his seed.
My great grandmother, (Louisa Anderson of Uppsala, Sweden) worked in the palace in Sweden as a children's maid and chamber maid. She was handy with needle crafts, (crochet, sewing). We still think that her father or grandfather was a dragoon in the Swedish army and stationed in the French Royal Guard. This would mean that he was part of the elite guard that protected King Louie XVI or his father King Louie XV.
I have just traced some of my dna numbers back to haplogroup EV 12 and EV13. King Louie's Haplogroup is E/G or there abouts.
Perhaps I should be seeking information about his services to the French crown in France. I thought that Sweden would have his service records since he was Swedish but hired by the King of France.
Our ancestor might have been born between 1763- and 1743.
I need to search for records of the French Royal Guard members.
Were they called Musketeers?
I am thinking that my male ancestor might have taken the sister of King Louie XVI, thus accounting for some of my French DNA.
Alas, so difficult to prove.
Linda

9/21/2012 at 9:24 AM

When the French Revolution began, King Louie XVI told his Royal Guardsmen that he could not pay them.
(King Louie's advisers had the King sending French money to the United States to support the American Revolution. Louie did not want England to win that war. Thus Louisiana and the heavy French influence there and the Louisiana Purchase).
King Louie XVI further told his Royal Guardsmen that by the laws of France the military would be allowed to take from France anything that they wanted in lieu of payment in francs. My great grandfather or great, great grandfather took from France "a maiden from the Palace at Versailles". These are the two family members that I am seeking information on, either from Sweden or from France.
Linda

Private User
9/26/2012 at 9:19 AM

Linda,

What you tell matches the definition of tall tales in Wikipedia: A tall tale is a story with unbelievable elements, related as if it were true and factual.

As I already pointed out neither the dragoon Anders Rask (1816-1874) nor his father the soldier Anders Svan (1786-1835) could have been in France 1792. And the father and grandfather of Anders Svan were small scale farmers in province Uppland.

Lovisa Andersdotter Rask (born 1852) obviously was dreaming of a better life. She lived in her parents home until 1869 when she moved to another farm in the same parish as maid. Since children started work at age of 15 she probably worked 1868 at the farm where the soldier cottage was situated. The normal duration of a job was one year (Nov-Oct). She left the farm environment for a more urban maid training and went to province capital Uppsala in October 1870. After two jobs there she went to Stockholm in October 1873. She drops the soldier name Rask and changes her patronym from Andersdotter to the modern, sexless family name Andersson. She stayed as maid at the apartment of wholesale dealer August Lemcke (Drottninggatan 108 in Adolf Fredrik parish) for two years. The life as maid was quite restricted - only one evening free per week (normally Wednesday) and living in a small room close to the kitchen area. So in November 1875 she moves to a flat she rents at Fabriksgränden 2 in Kungsholm parish . She is no longer a piga (maid) but tvätterska (laundress), which means she collects laundry from gentry, washes, irons and returns it. In July 1881 she left her flat in Stockholm for a better life in the USA.

(By the way - she lived on the island Kungsholmen in Stockholm which means 'Islet of the King'. But it is just a name and has no connection at all to the king or the royal family. Instead it was a part of Stockholm where the industrialization expanded around 1880 and a working-class population lived around the factories.)

Evidently Lovisa in the USA had a need to embellish her former life by stretching the truth a little.

/Bo-Arne

Showing all 23 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion