Louis I le Pieux, roi des Francs - Record of Alternative Data After Merges

Started by Sharon Doubell on Thursday, November 22, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
11/22/2012 at 3:21 AM

This Discussion is intended as a Log of the Data elided/ deleted at the stage of resolving Data Conflicts on this profile.

I have already resolved the Data Conflict, and am simply making sure that all the managers involved in that merge, know what data of theirs was removed.

I am doing this as a courtesy, against the possibility that the profile’s managers may want to be alerted to the opportunity to engage with the data choices. (Sending a private message means there is no record for any future managers of the profile - of which we hope there will be many.)

It is not a query, and it does not require a comment, unless you disagree with the way the Data Conflict was resolved, or you want to add useful info about the data at stake – that you think others can benefit from when resolving Data Conflicts on that profile in the future.

Further info and FAQ can be found here: http://www.geni.com/discussions/115121?msg=832711

11/22/2012 at 3:22 AM

Forename: Louis I ; Louis I Holy Roman Emperor (814-840)
Middle Name "le Pieux" / "The Pious" / "le Debonnaire" ; 'the Pious' 'de Carolus'
Surname des Francs; Of Germany
Birth Surname des Francs ; Of Prussia ; De Hesbaye
Birth Date 4/16/778; c. August 778
Death Location Ingelheim, (Present Rheinhessen), Austrasia (Present Hesse), Carolingian Empire (within present Germany) OR Petersaue, Ingelheim am Rhein, Rhineland Palatinate, Germany

12/14/2012 at 5:03 AM

Forename Louis I le Pieux, OR Louis I Louis I the Fair

Surname des Francs OR Empereur d' Occident King of France Roman Emperor

Birth Surname des Francs OR von Germanie

Birth Location Casseneuil, Lot-et-Garonne, Aquitaine, Carolingian Empire (within present France) OR Chasseneuil, Indre, Centre, France

Death Location Ingelheim, (Present Rheinhessen), Austrasia (Present Hesse), Carolingian Empire (within present Germany) OR Ingelheim am Rhein, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany

1/2/2013 at 8:03 PM

1. I have some concerns about Louis' birthdate. I suggest we make it just 778.

FMG says, without citing a source, "HLUDOWIC [Louis] (Chasseneuil-du-Poitou {Vienne} [16 Apr/Sep] 778-island in the Rhine near Ingelheim 20 Jun 840".

(Note that he was an older twin of Lothar, who died in infancy.)

The brackets indicate an inferred or calculated date.

Some years ago there was a discussion on SGM, with arguments that the twins might have been born in August 778.

There is disagreement about the date among the various language editions of Wikipedia. French and English Wikipedia say only 778. Dutch Wikipedia says 11 April 778. German and Spanish Wikipedia say June / August 778.

2. His place of birth is unclear. English Wikipedia sums it up, "Einhard gives the name of his birthplace as Cassanoilum. In addition to Chasseneuil near Poitiers, scholars have suggested that Louis may have been born at Casseneuil (Lot et Garonne) or at Casseuil on the Garonne near La Réole, where the Dropt flows into the Garonne."

3. Finally, on Geni he currently has the suffix "de Bavaria". I don't understand the reasoning behind that name, but even if it is correct for some reason, we should probably make it linguistically consistent -- von Bayern, de Bavière, of Bavaria ...

1/3/2013 at 7:44 AM

@Justin - I agree on all

1). I think Medlands as the guideline in the absence of alternative arguments - and here there have been no comments so far - is a good bet.

2) The birth place designations look to me lto be different versions of the same place, and I'd stay with the former option that cites the Garonne

3) I'd vote for consistency

- @Jason (this @ locater is soo not working on Geni today :-() - the curator on the profile - may want to add his thoughts;
but I would be happy for you to make sure the data conforms to the above; and would suggest you add this (or a director to this discussion) into the About Me notes, to aid in future updates not having to re-establish what reasoning was behind the data choices.

Thank you for taking the time to research and document this for us, Justin. I Your scholarship is one of the best 'tools' :-) Geni has in this area of the tree. Salute!

Private User
1/4/2013 at 8:18 PM

There occurred an error in my maternal line which I could not alter because the data entered could not be deleted thus there is a double entry and I need your help and then on my paternal side a series of wrong entry which I could not alter because the previous data could not be deleted; please help me (Please locate Bishop Stephen Charles Neil and his paternal side is in total mess I am helpless at my end.)

1/5/2013 at 1:44 AM

Hi Allen - You need to message me - or another of the Curators, with the URL (cut and pasted from the of the profile) for the specific profiles involved. Will inbox you. Don't despair :-)

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion