Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 17 posts
Private User
12/9/2012 at 9:52 AM

Hi -

I'm finding that much of my family traces back to Germany, but I'm not sure where to begin researching them in German records. My 2x great-grandparents came to the US sometime tin the 1860's from Posen John Newman and Rosa Newman. I potentially have the names of John's parents from his sister Lottie Simon's marriage license, but of course I don't know that the spelling is correct and no idea how to verify the existence of Hirsch/Haijman/Henry Neumann and Yette Götz in Posen.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Wendi

12/9/2012 at 10:41 AM

Newman means their name was most likely Neumann for a starter. I'd start looking for Neumanns at the US immigration entry point(s).

/Taro

12/9/2012 at 10:42 AM

The first names Hirsch (Stag) and probably Jutta Götz.

Private User
12/9/2012 at 10:44 AM

Thanks Sten Waldö They came over before Ellis Island, so there is no easy entry point to find them through - at least that I know of. I have tried looking on various passenger lists from before Ellis Island, but usually end up with nothing more than a headache.

I don't think Hirsh and Yitte/Gotz were ever in the US.

Private User
12/9/2012 at 10:47 AM

I also have many Dutch ancestors who seem to eventually lead to Germany. I won't list them all here. I just need to be pointed in the direction of some good online research databases for Germany or German Jews if such a thing exists. I don't have much luck with JewishGen. Either I'm doing something wrong or it's just not that helpful to me :/

12/10/2012 at 6:05 AM

Actually, you have several options.

First, Castle Garden was the immigration center before Ellis Island (which also included all passengers destined for Canada), all data is online and fully searchable. Link to - http://www.castlegarden.org/

Second, most German parish records before 1850 were written in old German High Script, there is little hope except for hiring a German genealogy researcher. I've been using an excellent one for more than 2 years researching my Kleinsteuber ancestors in the Thuringia Region of Saxony. Costs run around 30 Euros/hour but include photos of every appropriate parish record page and a translated report of findings.

If you want the name of my researcher, he can either help you or recommend another researcher in their organization.

Send me an email if you are interested.

Keith Millard

12/10/2012 at 8:38 AM

Wendi, how about this for a starter?

LAST NAME
FIRST NAME
ARRIVAL DATE
PLACE OF LAST RESIDENCE

NEUMANN
ROSA 19 F 22 Aug 1865 U
NEUMANN
ROSA 18 F 2 Jul 1866 SCHROZBERG
NEUMANN
ROSA 22 F 20 May 1867 UNKNOWN
NEUMANN
ROSA 22 F 24 May 1869 UNKNOWN
NEUMANN
ROSA 29 F 19 May 1870 UNKNOWN

NEUMANN
JOHN 4 M 17 Jun 1867 UNKNOWN
NEUMANN
JOHN 21 M 16 Apr 1869 POSEN

Private User
12/10/2012 at 10:18 AM

Keith Millard Thanks for the info on Castle Garden. I will definitely take a look around. I will keep your genealogist in mind if I'm not able to make any headway on my own.

Sten Waldö Thanks. Is the from the Castle Garden web site or somewhere else?

Private User
12/10/2012 at 10:42 AM

Sten Waldö - by the way I wasn't sure what you meant when you wrote "Hirsch (Stag)" in an earlier post. Did you mean without a last name?

12/10/2012 at 10:43 AM

For those interested in tracing German ancestry, you are welcome to take a look at the latest entry in my Blog at http://www.millard-and-kleinsteuber-histories.com/blog.html - and/or elsewhere in my website http://www.millard-and-kleinsteuber-histories.com

Keith

Private User
12/10/2012 at 12:20 PM

Keith Millard Great! Thanks. Will do :)

12/10/2012 at 12:55 PM

Wendi, yes, that was from Castle Garden.

If you have a birth year/date to go you could narrow in your search.

/Sten

12/10/2012 at 5:04 PM

iI use
www.genealogienetz.de
a fair amount and I signed up for the Neumart mailing list and have had some surprising success.

Private User
12/10/2012 at 5:12 PM

My grandmother has asked me to research her father's family, so I have to put the German research on hold for a bit.

Anyone know anything about Belarus? lol

12/11/2012 at 2:31 AM

Pretty sure they embarked from Klaipeda (Memel). Many Jewish familes did so from Ukraine in waves all according to how they were discriminated and worse at home. /Sten

12/11/2012 at 2:33 AM

Wendi, I just translated the word Hirsch which is an animal, a Stag.
Hirsch is used in many German family names like in Hirschmann. Less common as a first name, I believe.

/Sten

Private User
12/11/2012 at 6:47 AM

Sten Waldö Oh ok. That makes sense. I didn't realize it was a translation :)

I actually ordered my 2x great grandfather's death certificate from the city of NY hoping it has more information on it like his parent's names. He passed in 1899 and my great grandmother was still alive, so hopefully it has something useful on it.

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion