Krotoa Eva van de Kaap, SM/PROG - Love in the time of imperialism: Krotoa ‘Eva’ van Meerhof

Started by Private User on Tuesday, April 2, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 15 posts
Private User
4/2/2013 at 1:07 PM
Private User
4/3/2013 at 2:08 AM

Dankie Don. That is interesting.

4/4/2013 at 3:29 AM

What a great find, Donovan. After the first article I was ready to criticize the obviousness of the agenda underneath - especially the trite sound-bite love-story angle, which was even more patent than the one Muratie wine estate used to advertise their wine called after our other ouma: Ansela van de Caap, SM/PROG,
but then I kept reading to the comments and the second article posted there. What a wealth of information, and a far more nuanced examination of the functioning of expedience and ownership that would have been in play.
Daniel Jacobus Botes, g2h3 will also be fascinated, I'm sure - as he loves the stories about our great granny too.

There is a fairly factual account of her comings and goings (as it were) in McCall Theale's History of South Africa under the DEIC, Volume I, which has been added to her profile (?) as a pdf file

4/4/2013 at 11:19 AM

Thanks 'Naude' - I'll go and take a look.

I'm trying to update her profile, and include a section that cites all these fantastic articles.
Did you see the pdf @Donovan just cited on our FB page? http://eprints.ru.ac.za/709/1/Evas-men.pdf
I really enjoyed it.

Methinks that I must concentrate on recalling how to make them all into docs that can be attached to her profile as well, as I see one of the Archival Platform blogs has already lapsed.
(Don't suppose someone else wants to take a stab at doing that, or remind me how.)

I've take the wonderfully useful Timeline that some angel had entered at the bottom of the About Me, and entered it into her Timeline (under the Timeline Tab) - and I'm now searching through the articles for other life-story details.

Come and help people :-)

Private User
4/4/2013 at 12:38 PM

The Timeline is excellent! well done Sharon...

4/5/2013 at 12:59 AM

Thanks Don. As it got later last night, the tracts I was including got longer :-) I'll go back and edit this morning.

I'm also happy if other people include other 'versions' of her life events with the sources included. Might provide an interesting historical commentary.

Private User
4/6/2013 at 2:38 AM

Ok so.

Private User
6/1/2014 at 4:00 AM

Hidden Histories – Krotoa
Hidden Histories is a slate of documentaries in pre-production that Penguin films are producing for SABC 1

Krotoa was directed by Kaye Ann Williams with Uwe Jansch as Director of Photography and producer by Roberta Durrant.

http://vimeo.com/65957411

6/2/2014 at 1:14 PM

Very interesting. Wonder when it will be out. Thanks for finding it.

Private User
6/2/2014 at 11:34 PM

I enjoyed it, but find it interesting how some people with an agenda try put a spin on her story..

Private User
6/3/2014 at 3:56 AM

I hope not everyone ignores it... I would very much like to hear others opinions on the accusations of kidnapping, of abuse, and the very selective use of the word "alleged".

Private User
6/4/2014 at 1:08 AM

Sorry Don. I misunderstood the ...her..
Jammer. Judi

Private User
6/4/2014 at 1:13 AM

Baie interessant

6/4/2014 at 1:27 PM

Mansell Upham has recently published an interesting article on her in a journal of one of the GSSA branches also covering the different agendas. Will try to dig it up again.

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion