Goals of the Project

Started by Hatte Blejer (absent until Nov 1) on Thursday, August 22, 2013
Showing all 5 posts
8/22/2013 at 8:02 AM

I knew less about Lomza than about Suwalki when I started this project, which is why I focused on the three towns I knew a little about (Grajewo where my cousin Hank Mishkoff's family lived and Rajgrod and Szczuczyn where my ancestors lived).

Since others with ancestors from these towns, as well as additional towns, have joined the project, I thought we should review my original goals and add others' goals.

I started learning about the Suwalki and Lomza areas by reading Landsmen, which influenced how I think about family research in these areas. First, surnames are relatively recent and were not used consistently. People might change their surnames to avoid conscription and many changed their surnames again when they immigrated to England, America, South America and South Africa. Even in the mid 1800s, there are records of the Margolis family using the toponymic "Kalwaryiski" (derived from Kalvarija where they lived 50 years earlier). Surnames of females are absent from all but the later records of the Russian Empire. Also, many of our ancestors lived in small towns for 100 - 200 years, where many families in the town were related by marriage and blood. Cousins married cousins for generations. And when they emigrated, they often lived with, intermarried with, and were buried with landsmen for a generation or more.

Thus, I found that the best way to research family history is by putting a family in context -- understanding the village, town or city that they lived in, understanding the administrative district and its laws that influenced travel and marriage, and understanding the other families that were their neighbors and in-laws. While I start with the surnames that are known about my ancestors, I know that there are many other families in a town or village who are also my ancestors. My hope is that through understanding our ancestors in context and through DNA studies that we will each fill in some of the missing holes in our family history.

To that end, I list families, marriages, resources, and discuss geography and social history. Seth's discussion highlights how much we can learn also from Landsmenshaften and burial societies. Another thing I look at in my family are patterns of given names which can be traced for a hundred or several hundred years. My fourth great grandmother, born around 1780, was Hinde and there are descendants today named after her descendant, Hinde Beile, who was named after her.

What additional goals should we have for these regional projects?

8/26/2013 at 2:16 AM

Farewell letters, written as the Holocaust closed in, still await delivery in Tel Aviv
Just before hell engulfed Poland, a Tel Aviv family returning from a family trip brought back to a box of correspondence to deliver. More than 70 years later, some of the letters are still unopened.
By Ofer Aderet | Aug. 25, 2013 | 3:46 AM

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/jewish-world-features/.premium-...

8/30/2013 at 6:51 AM

Hatte,
Those sound like good goals. I think this is all very important in understanding the Diaspora and how our families maigrated around Europe. It is also particularly interesting in understanding the impact of these movements on questions of name changes, Ashkenazi traditions vs. Sephardi traditions etc. I think the in part a goal of these projects should be to try to identify where the people in each town came from and where their descendants wound up.

8/30/2013 at 7:20 AM

Gidi Poraz Incredible story---amazing find, Gidi!

. . . "Gidi Poraz, a kind of history detective specializing in tracing lost family members, recently found the story on the website Historic Jewish Press, which carries about 1 million pages of Jewish newspapers from Israel and the world. Poraz found Tikotzky’s story as part of the research he is doing for an Israeli family who wanted to trace relatives.

He contacted Tikotzky's daughter, who is 80 and living in Tel Aviv, and she told him she still had a crate full of letters in Yiddish left by her mother after her death. Some of the letters, Poraz believes, are those sent by Poland's Jews to their relatives here on the eve of the war, perhaps their last farewells before they were slaughtered by the Nazis."

8/30/2013 at 8:45 AM

Seth,
Absolutely agree with both your last statements. I do create projects devoted to where our ancestors wound up, but ultimately I'm very interested in where they came from.

For instance, I believe that Bakalerzewo was a Mecca for Sephardim at one point. I'm very interested in how our ancestors ended up in certain early towns such as Kalwariya and Vilkaviškis and how they spread out to the small new towns such as Przerosl and then were allowed finally to settle in the cities such as Suwalki in the early 1800s. I find that many family researchers focus on the later towns whereas Jews in the area only got to the big towns a few decades before they eventual immigrated to America etc.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion