Gov. William Bradford lll

Started by Priscilla Jane Johnston on Thursday, October 3, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 19 posts
10/3/2013 at 10:11 PM

Can you post some links to profiles or to a tree view and point out how it has changed? Maybe we can help you. Gov. Bradford is pretty far back and is an ancestor of many people. I would have thought that he and his close relatives and near ancestors would be Master Profiles and well sourced and documented.

10/3/2013 at 10:14 PM

William Bradford, Governor of Plymouth Colony

It appears that his ancestry is in fact unknown according to the About Me.

10/3/2013 at 11:50 PM

His origins are known. Somehow he got switched from the MP parents I think. I'm working on the English line & will post back when done.

10/4/2013 at 4:36 AM

Priscilla Jane Johnston

I hope the tree is looking better now. A couple of Angel Collaborators have been hard at work merging up duplicates for you. Because of their efforts I've been able to concentrate on sourcing a bit better -- but please see the other discussion I tagged you on about possibly fictional wives in the Bradford line.

I'm so sorry it got so out of shape.

Private User
10/4/2013 at 5:39 AM

@William Bradford, Governor of Plymouth Colony is my 6th cousin 13 times removed Judy Rice

10/4/2013 at 7:57 AM

Let's do a better job on the About Me then if his origins are known. This is a curated profile.

10/4/2013 at 12:49 PM

I just "re curated" & added a curator note. It was a lot of work to clean up the lines - there's terrible information on Wikitree & Ancestry I think. Ill try for an overview cleanup at the weekend.

10/4/2013 at 4:27 PM

Priscilla Jane Johnston I think I've gotten this decently cleaned up, including "about me" notes, timeline, and most importantly - the tree. But I'd love another proofread and any suggestions for improvement.

My thanks.

10/4/2013 at 5:48 PM

I just ran across an interesting factoid:

"From statistical analysis, I can estimate that there are about 4 million descendants of Gov. Wiliam Bradford of Plymouth in the US alive today. And, about 10,000 of us, still bear the family name."

10/4/2013 at 6:14 PM

I nearly tagged you Erica Howton. I knew you would know the sources and sort this out. Thanks for "re curating" and cleaning it up.

There's a supposition -- since disproven -- that his daughter married Samuel Wilbore, my ancestor so I have to talk about the Bradfords multiple times a year to explain that no, the Internet trees are wrong :)

10/4/2013 at 7:26 PM

Apparently it was Zachariah Wilbore (I re read those notes yesterday). Interestingly in looking at the English tree more Wilbore's are in the Austerfield / Doncaster region. So is Briggs & I don't see them connected up yet.

10/5/2013 at 9:30 AM

Yes, the same thing holds for English regions and families as for my Eastern European Jewish ancestors -- families married one another over and over. If I get a chance I'll take a look at Briggs.

10/5/2013 at 9:38 AM

Erica, great job on the tree. Have to admit, each day when I click on Gov. Bradford, I hold my breath until the rest of the tree shows up-lol.

Yesterday, I checked out my old tree on Ancestry, which I hadn't looked at in 2 years. And there was Dorothy Turvin m. to Robert Bradford ? One thing I noticed on Phyllis Ripple is that it is stated she died in Maryland, USA in 1490, before Columbus ?

What's the addy to that tree, Priscilla?

10/5/2013 at 12:43 PM

Yes, I think that Phylliis Ripple record is an old LDS / OneWorldTree garble. The parents she's attached to might be useful someday.

Which Robert Bradford married a Dorothy Turvin?

10/6/2013 at 6:27 AM

Erica, the Robert Bradford that was born in 1487 supposedly married to Dorothy Turvin.

10/6/2013 at 12:23 PM

Thanks - I'm adding additional "caution" notes to Robert Bradford

For anyone's interest, the pedigree Priscilla & I follow is based on

Ancestry of the Bradfords of Austefield" in Oct, 1929 NEGHB,page 461

10/6/2013 at 2:22 PM

OK I peeled off the extra wives - maybe someday their correct places in the Bradford tree will be found.

The earliest known ancestor of Gov. Bradford of Plymouth Colony, a great, great American, was the Yorkshire tradesman or merchant - if he had land property, no record has been found

Robert Bradford
(1435-1523)

10/7/2013 at 7:26 AM

I am interested. Thanks for including the source. For anyone who can afford it and does a lot of research into early American ancestors, the online subscription to NEGHS is a wonderful thing. Erica recommended it to me a few years ago. They also have some great publications about the Winthrop Fleet and the Great Migration that I have purchased in book form.

Showing all 19 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion