Colin McIphryar Campbell, 1st Lord of Glenorchy - The Campbells are confused!?

Started by Dan Cornett on Monday, October 7, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts
10/7/2013 at 11:43 AM

The "About" of this profile doesn't match at all the data in the Basic fields. I suspect some tangling of trees has transpired.

Anyone familiar with this family area, please either fix or advise as to how to fix!

10/7/2013 at 1:55 PM

Dan it is impossible for anyone but the curator of the profile of Colin McI fryar Campbell, 1st Lord of Glenorchyto it lean up at the edit tab is completely locked down

here are some iems that I have found that might be useful:

History of the Campbell family (1920) Henry Lee

http://archive.org/details/historyofcampbel00newy

This seems to be the page where this Sir Colin son of Duncan begins

http://archive.org/stream/historyofcampbel00newy#page/18/mode/2up

=======================

... Duncan in Aa had to wyffe Margarit Stewart, dochter to Duke Murdoch [a mistake evidently for Robert], on whom he begat twa sones, the elder callit Archibald, the other namit Colin, wha was first laird of Glenurchay.” That estate was settled on him by his father. It had come into the Campbell family, in the reign of King David the Second, by the marriage of Margaret Glenurchy with John Campbell; and was at one time the property of the warlike clan MacGregor, who were gradually expelled from the territory by the rival clan, Campbell. Sir Colin was born about 1400. He was one of the knights of Rhodes, afterwards designed of Malta... http://www.electricscotland.com/history/nation/breadalbane.htm

===========================
10. LADY MARJORY (MARGARET) STEWART, b. CIRCA 1360, SCOTLAND.
She married DUNCAN CAMPBELL of LOCHOW, b. SCOTLAND, occupation LORD OF ARGYL.
Children:
15. i SIR COLIN (of GLENURQUBY) CAMPBELL b. CIRCA 1382.

15. SIR COLIN (of GLENURQUBY) CAMPBELL, b. CIRCA 1382, SCOTLAND, occupation 1st of GLENORCHY, d. 1478, SCOTLAND.

Sir Colin Campbell was of the Laird of Glenurquby, Argyllshire, predecessor of Earl of Bradalbine.

He married MARGARET (of KEIR) STERLING, b. of KEIR, SCOTLAND, (daughter of LUKE STERLING of KEIR and UNKNOWN).
Children:

19. i MARION (MARIOTA) HELEN CAMPBELL.

http://www.chuckspeed.com/stewart/rbruce.htm

=================================

10/7/2013 at 4:11 PM

Thanks, Judi -- I've partially unlocked that profile.

However, the information you cited above part of the problem with this profile (Colin Campbell, 1st Lord of Glenorchy) ... the dates are ~50 years earlier, yet the Geni spouses all seem to reflect early-mid 1400 birth dates, which are consistent with this Colin's current birth date.

That's why I think it is a 'structural' problem in that things are not consistent between the names and the dates. It's not just a matter of changing dates; some investigation is needed to ascertain how to untangle what may involve several generations around here.

Private User
10/7/2013 at 9:20 PM

There were several Colin Campbells . The elder one had several wives and lady friends and all had son's named Colin campbell and then they all had son's named that. It gets very confusing. it took me awhile to sort them all out.You need dates and women's names so you know where you are.

10/7/2013 at 11:34 PM

Not sure how this will present the are the son colin

1 Colin Campbell of Lochawe[1] Lord of Argyll (called Colin Iongantach 'Wonderful', and 'Colin The Good Knight'), and Mariota, daughter of John Campbell, heiress to the lands of Ardscotnish and Glen Orchy

2 Duncan Campbell 1st Lord Campbell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_Campbell,_1st_Lord_Campbell
died between February 1453 and 21 May 1454, and was buried in a magnificent sculptured tomb in the collegiate church at Kilmun which he and Margaret Stewart had founded in 1442.
first to Marjorie (d. before August 1432), daughter of Robert Stewart, Duke of Albany,
//secondly to Margaret Stewart of Ardgowan (d. after August 1442).
//3 His second son by his wife Margaret, Colin, was the founder of the Campbell of Glenorchy and Breadalbane line
//Colin McIphryar Campbell 1st Lord of Glenurchy 3rd Earl of Argyle Birth 1425 in Kilchurn Castle, Glenorchy, Scotland Death 14 Sept 1475 in Glenurchy, Argyll
///m 1st Janet Stewart Birth 1430 in Argyll, Scotland Death 24 Sep 1489 in Strathfillan, Perthshire, Scotland
//Helen Campbell1430 – 1530
//Egidia Campbell1434 – 1458
//Patrick Geillis Campbell1444 – 1502
//Isabel Campbell1448 –
//Archibald Campbell1449 – 1513
//Margaret Argyll Campbell1451 – 1509
//Marion Campbell1456 – 1530
//Catharine Campbell1461 –
//Elizabeth Campbell1462 –
//Margaret CAMPBELL1467 –
//Helen Campbell1470 –
/// m 2nd Margaret DeStirling Birth 1440 Death 24 Sep 1489 in Perth, Perthshire, Scotland
//John Campbell of Auchreoch 1st of Lawers1458 – 1513
3 Gillespic (Archibald) Campbell, Master of Campbell and Elizabeth Somerville. Colin Campbell succeeded his grandfather
Duncan Campbell, 1st Lord Campbell in 1453, and was created Earl of Argyll in 1457 and Lord
\
4 Colin Campbell, 1st Earl of Argyll http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Campbell,_1st_Earl_of_Argyll (c. 1433 – 10 May 1493) was a Scottish nobleman.
He married Isabelle Stewart, daughter of John Stewart, 2nd Lord Lorne in 1465, and had issue:[1]
//Archibald Campbell, 2nd Earl of Argyll.[1].
//Thomas Campbell
//Margaret Campbell, married George Seton, 4th Lord Seton
//Isabel Campbell, married William Drummond, Master of Drummond, son to John Drummond, 1st Lord Drummond
//Mary Campbell married Aonghas Óg Lord of the isles.
//Helen Campbell, married to Hugh Montgomerie, 1st Earl of Eglinton
//Elizabeth Campbell, married John Oliphant, 2nd Lord Oliphant
//Catherine Campbell, married Lachlan Og Maclean

When I google the name Colin McIphryar Campbell I find nothing - but on ancestry there are 8 trees with the name
Karen Joan Chandler Family TreePublic Member Tree 6 attached records, 10 sources photos
Name: Colin (McIphryar) Campbell
Birth: 1425 - Argyllshire (Argyll), Scotland
Death: 24 Sep 1489 - Perth, Perthshire, Scotland
Marriage: 1448 - Argyllshire (Argyll), Scotland
Parents: Duncan Na-Adh Campbell-, Marjory Marcelline Stewart-
Spouse: Janet Stewart-

Família Azeredo BastosPublic Member Tree Unsourced
Name: Colin McIphryar Campbell
Birth: Abt 1425 - Argyllshire (Argyll), Scotland
Death: 14 Sep 1475 - Argyllshire (Argyll), Scotland
Parents: Duncan "Na-Adh" Campbell, Margaret Stewart
Spouse: Margaret (4th wife) Sterling

export-AncestorsPublic Member Tree Unsourced
Name: Colin McIphryar Campbell
Birth: Abt 1425 - Argyllshire (Argyll), Scotland
Death: 14 Sep 1475 - Argyllshire (Argyll), Scotland
Parents: Duncan "Na-Adh" Campbell, Margaret Stewart
Spouse: Margaret (Marie) Robertson

Meyer Family TreePublic Member Tree 2 attached records, 3 sources photos Name: Colin McIphryar 6th Laird of Glenorchy Campbell
Birth: 1515 - Argyllshire (Argyll), Scotland
Death: 11 Apr 1583 - Balloch, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Spouse: Katherine Lady Ruthven

Colburn Family Tree Nov 2012Public Member Tree 1 source Name: Colin McIphryar Campbell 1st Lord of Glenurchy
Birth: 1425 - Scotland
Death: 14 Sept 1475 (14 Sep 1475) - Argyll
Marriage: 1448 - Scotland
Parents: Duncan Na Adh Campbell, Margaret Stewart
Spouse: Margaret DeStirling

McKenzie Family TreePublic Member Tree 1 attached record, 2 sources Name: Colin McIphryar, 1st Earl of Argyll, 2nd Lord Campbell, Lord of Lorne, 16th Lord of Lochow, Lord Chancellor of Scotland, Campbell
Birth: 10 Sep 1433 - Argyllshire (Argyll), Scotland
Death: 10 May 1493 - Perth, Perthshire, Scotland
Spouse: Isabel Elizabeth, Baroness Campbell Countess Argyll Stewart

Jolley Family TreePublic Member Tree 7 attached records, 8 sources photos Name: Colin the Grey McIphryar Campbell
Birth: 1499 - Argyll, Scotland
Death: 11 Apr 1583-3 Apr 1584 (11 Apr 1583) - Balloch, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Marriage: 13 Aug 1551 - Perthshire, Scotland
Parents: Colin Campbell, Marjory Stewart
Spouse: Katherine Ruthven

Susan Carter Harmon LineagePublic Member Tree 1 source photos Name: Colin the Grey McIphryar Campbell
Birth: 1499 - Argyll, Scotland
Death: 11 Apr 1583-3 Apr 1584 (11 Apr 1583) - Balloch, Dunbartonshire, Scotland
Parents: Colin Campbell, Lady Marjory Stewart Baroness Campbell
Spouse: Lady Katherine Ruthven, Baroness Campbell

I have not delved into the book listed above as yet

Private User
10/8/2013 at 7:26 AM

Well, Judi that pretty much looks at what i have. I'll have digg my stuff out check it against this.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion