Margaret Douglas Stewart, Countess of Lennox - Lady Margaret Douglas

Started by june tapsell on Tuesday, January 14, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 6 posts
1/14/2014 at 1:31 PM

There is no proof that Lady Margaret Douglas and Lord Thomas Howard
were the parents of Sir Robert Howard. If there is, where is it?

1/14/2014 at 1:43 PM

I am not entirely convinced that Robert is her son either, but there is some evidence to support that claim. When Henry VIII discovered Margaret and Thomas' engagement, he had them both committed to the Tower sometime in 1536. However, Margaret Douglas was later sent to Syon House due to an "illness" and was released in late October of 1537. This "illness" could have truly been a pregnancy, and Henry VIII had her moved there to keep it a secret. Again, I'm not completely convinced either, but there is some evidence to suggest she did have a child with Thomas Howard. I don't know if there's any evidence to support the claim that Robert Howard is that child, though.

1/16/2014 at 8:09 AM

Linking some of the relevant profiles so we can get their managers involved in the discussion:

Lord Thomas Howard
Sir Robert Howard, Kt.
Matthew Howard, immigrant to Virginia

1/16/2014 at 9:08 AM

My opinion of James E. Moss's Providence Ye Lost Towne at Severn is that he linked the ancestry of Matthew Howard of Maryland to Lord Thomas Howard by heresay. He provides no concrete historical proof of what he
writes about. Where is it proclaimed that James I recognized his descendants? I have yet to talk to a qualified historian who believes that Robert Howard was the son of Lady Margaret Douglas and Lord Thomas Howard. Until proven otherwise, it is all rubbish. Amen.

1/16/2014 at 12:27 PM

June, I have the same opinion of Moss. It's all smoke and mirrors. If you read carefully you discover that he doesn't actually prove anything.

3/3/2014 at 3:41 AM

My apologies for not replying earlier..I have removed the parents for Sir Robert Howard, Kt. and added some notes to the profile..

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion