Too Many Fake Profiles on GENI

Started by John Smith on Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Showing all 17 posts
John Smith
4/29/2014 at 12:40 AM

The very first Profile in the Directory is bogus.
Here is the link to it \ A

What percentage of the total number of profiles on this website are Fake?
I'll bet the number is higher than you think it is . . .

John Smith
4/29/2014 at 12:46 AM

2nd Profile.
Fake, with two Fake parents, for a total of three more Fakes.
\ a

John Smith
4/29/2014 at 12:50 AM

(?) A

Looks like an early Place Marker that was forgotten about.

Added by Shmuel (Curator) Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן
and managed by Martin (Curator) Martin Severin Eriksen

John Smith
4/29/2014 at 12:52 AM

4th Profile looks good but the 5th Profile in the Directory is a Fake.
Private User

John Smith
4/29/2014 at 12:57 AM

So . . .
Right out of the gate, only 1 of 5 Profiles is Real.

Of course there are always going to be Place Holders created by users while they work through difficult situations. This is acceptable.
And some people choose to be Anonymous, using a single letter or number or an alias. This is also acceptable.
Before this Discussion even gets started, it should be understood that there is a LOT of Grey Area. Great, grand, fine. But there should be NO blatant Fakes. Am I wrong? I don't think so.

thanks for the pointer John Smith. Profile deleted. As you say, the other profiles are actual users, who most likely abandoned their accounts.

John Smith
4/29/2014 at 1:23 AM

I saw that you deleted the profile as soon as you were aware of it, Shmuel.
Thank You.
And let me take this opportunity to thank you for your work on the Biblical Tree, which I consider to be exempt from this Discussion.

John Smith
4/29/2014 at 1:24 AM

I am sharing this from another Discussion by using Copy & Paste.
It was written by me.

In the public directory http://www.geni.com/directory/people/a.html I recently discovered several thousand fake profiles that started with www. They were reported and then disappeared. And anyone interested in even a cursory glance through the Directory will find an amazing amount of Fakes, Fillers, and Flim-Flam GENi profiles. Just like Facebook and MySpace, GENi is packed to the gills with profiles that either A) have nothing whatsoever to do with actual people, B) are profiles that were "made for" people who are real but who are not actually GENi users, or C) are fakes made by real people who are criminals who use them to communicate with their cohorts on a global scale. These are the simple facts, and anyone with a computer and a little common sense can easily find the proof of what I have said here today.

John Smith
4/29/2014 at 1:36 AM

Disclaimer

The Biblical Tree is not a part of this Discussion, and neither are the Myths and Legends included in any representation of Deep History that attempts to share the History and/or Culture of the civilizations of the planet Earth.
What I am personally against, and what I think we all should be fed up with as Semi-Serious genealogists, are the profiles that do nothing for the Tree but provide empty, useless, Filler.

"But what about Father Martin or Father Herr?" you may well ask.
Those are Place Holders that are created as a reminder that work needs to be done, and are not representative of the Empty, Abandoned, Fake, and Characters From Works Of Fiction profiles that add nothing to the Tree but distraction. I hope I have been quite clear and that we can avoid petty semantic arguments about which is which or who is who.

John Smith
4/29/2014 at 2:29 AM

And even though the very suspicious www's have gone away, there are still many Fakes in the area where the www's once were, including this one Private User

John Smith
4/29/2014 at 4:50 AM

I suppose I should have started this Discussion in conjunction with http://www.geni.com/projects/Fake-Profiles/251 even though this project is addressing a slightly different issue.

4/29/2014 at 4:51 AM

You talk to yourself allot don't you?

4/29/2014 at 4:56 AM

There's a fake bloody me!
Right this is serious now. War.
How dare anyone try to replicate me!

4/29/2014 at 3:07 PM

In order to clarify something:
My first post in this thread was made to indicate that i had accepted the invitation to view it and intended to participate.
My second post regarded my almost immediate discovery of:
http://www.geni.com/path/Alex+Moes+is+related+to+Alex+Moes?from=600...

John Smith
4/29/2014 at 6:34 PM

Alex, you said, "My first post in this thread was made to indicate that i had accepted the invitation to view it and intended to participate."
That, my young friend, is so obviously a bunch of shite that you should be ashamed of yourself for posting it.

We're done here, Mr. Moes. Please go find something else to do if you cannot make a meaningful contribution here.

4/29/2014 at 8:48 PM

Think what you want, I won't try to convince you.

John Smith
4/29/2014 at 9:12 PM

That was not a meaningful contribution, Alex.
Can't you find something to do on GENi besides SPAM my Discussion with your comments?

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion