George Allen, of Sandwich - Additional link?

Started by Private User on Friday, June 27, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-120 of 125 posts

Whoops - my bad again ...

One is Sarah nee Allen and the other is Sarah nee Cary, so yeah, There are two lines of connection.

There's going to be more. I break one mistaken connection & another pops in. It's trippy.

In this case, the connections are accurate, because I am related to the Carys through Rebecca Cary and the Allens through Sam III. So Lt Josiah Standish married an Allen and his son married a Cary. Both Sarahs! :-)

BTW Samuel lll is also called Samuel Jr. (Hair tearing time)

Thats why I call Sam 1 "Braintree" Sam, his son Sam 2 "the Deacon of Bridgwater" or "Bridgewater Sam" (also called Sam JR sometimes!), and Sam III just Sam III ! :-)

Connected:

Samuel Allen, of Windsor & Northampton

(this UN related family is the one that married Whittemore / Whetmore)

Disconnected:

Rebecca Allen

Hester ‘Esther’ Fox

Joseph Allen

Source:

http://books.google.com/books?pg=PR13&dq=Deacon+Obadiah+Allen&a...

Reconnected

Nehemiah Allen, of Salisbury & Northampton (same source as above)

Anne - merge brought in this Abigail (Allen) Cary - is she in the right parental family?

Abigail Allen

Who are you?

Rebecca Allen

Never mind - Rebecca belongs to Windsor Samuel, so back she goes

"On 5 July 1662 Edward Butler, Irishman, assaulted Rebecca Allen, daughter of Anne (__) (Allen) Hulbird, and stepdaugther of Wiliam Hulbird, as a result of which "Anne Hulburd the mother of Rebeccka Allen being about the age of 54 years" made her deposition two days later (SJC Case #468)."

??To the best of my knowledge, I am not related to the Windsor Sam, except through a convoluted path and a couple of marriages.

I am in the Sam Braintree 1 -> Deacon Sam of Bridgewater 2 -> Sam III 3 m Rebecca Cary line. The TIm born of Sam III and Rebecca Cary is my ancestor, and that is how the Cary Pilgrim and the Sam Braintree came to be in my line, both. Then the Partridge Pilgrim is an ancestor of mine through Deacon Sam of Bridgewater.

In other words, I am not clear on how Abigail Cary in this line relates to the John Cary the Pilgrim ancestor of mine (the ancestor through Rebecca Cary and Sarah Cary Standish)

Well other people :) seem to have decided Abigail (Allen) Cary belongs to Windsor Samuel. Fixing.

Then you are NOT of the Ethan Allen line, his ancestor is Samuel of Windsor via Nehemiah.

And ... Other people have an issue with Abigail Allen as wife of John Cary.

Please read the overview notes

Deacon John Cary

I'm going back to merging .... :):)

Allen genealogists deserve their own circle of Dante's Hell, I have never seen such a mess of contradictory information for each and every profile. Unreal.

lol - aint it the truth!

As I understand it, the name was very common in England and Scotland and is spelled Allyn, Allin and Allen. THe other spellings were more common in Scotland than Allen, but the names were spelled any which way and interchanged. To top it off, the Allens who came here could very well be distant relatives or not related at all. Its a nightmare. Sarah is also common as a girl's name and every other daughter or wife seemed to be named Sarah!

BTW, there is an old family story that one of these ancestors was involved somehow in the hysteria around witchcraft that led o the Salem witch trials, but I havent found any connection to that either.

This Abigail - Abigail Allen

Ok, I see that I was tagged, was that to verify the parents of Abigail who is the dau of Sam Braintree and his second wife Margaret French Lamb?

I deduced this as the correct parentage because of the birth date of Abigail 1651 which occurred after the death of Sam's first wife 1648 and after the marriage to the second wife Margaret Lamb 1650. Is that the Abigail you are meaning?

Mr Lamb died in 1648 and so

Correct you are and you should have the bizarre dates & locations I cleared out of the profile.

I think what happened here is that Abigail was born about 1651, mentioned in her father's will of 1669, and we have no further record. Some centuries later someone transcribed a VR and mixed it up
With Abigail Penniman.

However you are still a Cary through your Rebecca connection.

Yes, and possibly other relationships with Carey too, probably more convoluted, as the name Cary appears over and over and it looks like the Cary's and Standishes and Allens intermarried a fair amount in the first few generations.

It also looks like the Ethan Allen line is through a completely different Sam Allen than mine.

Which by the way "also" has crazy speculative mixed up origin stories. Your mess in the Plymouth Colony was from southeastern England (looks like it's getting close to breaking through to England) ... And it looks like the Windsor line is from a different part of England altogether.

Ethan Allen's genealogy was described in 1857 here

http://books.google.com/books?id=pIwKQaMPO-8C&vq=Ethan%20allen&...

SAMUEL1 ALLEN came from Braintree, Essex County, England. He was born about the year .1588, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. He came to Cambridge, Mass., in 1632; was brother of Col. Matthew Allyn, of Cambridge, Mass., afterwards of Windsor and Hartford, Ct., and Dea. Thomas Allyn, of Middletown, Ct.

(sic: the brother relationship is probably mythical)

He died at Windsor, Ct., and was buried April 28, 1648, aged 60 years, leaving a widow and six children. His widow, Ann Allen, removed to Northampton, Mass., where she m. second, William Hurlbut. Ann (Allen) Hurlbut died Northampton, Mass., Nov. 13, 1687.

The children of Samuel and Ann Allen were:

ii. Nehemiah,2 m. Sept. 21, 1664, Sarah Woodford, dau. of Thomas and Mary (Blott) Woodford.

They had, among other children:

Gen. Ethan of Revolutionary fame, b. in Litchfield (?), Ct., Jan. 10, 1737; m. first, in Woodbury, Ct., by Rev. Daniel Brinsmade, of (Judea Parish) Woodbury, Ct., June 23, 1762, Mary Bronson, dau. of Richard Bronson. She d. in Sunderland, Vt., 1783; buried in Arlington, Vt. He m. second, in Westminster, Vt., Feb. 9, 1784, Mrs. Frances Buchanan. She was b. April 4, 1760. He d, in Burlington, Vt., Feb. 12, 1789. He had five children by first wife and three by second. Gen. Allen paid Rev, Mr. Brinsinade four shillings as a marriage fee. 9. iii. John.2

We have him as descended from Joseph of Deerfield, so this history (above) is one of those that mixed up a bunch of generations and Samuels...either that or we are wrong!

Joseph Allen, of Deerfield

no, it's not wrong - I just skipped a few generations. :)

I am 100 years away from being able to document Rev War era Allen profiles. I may lose a lot more hair before I get there.

ha ha - the Rev War Allen Profiles include

1) Phineas Allen II and his brothers, Capt. Diarca Allen and Asher Allen. Diarca is the best known. He fought with Geo Washington at Valley Forge and was in the Battle of Monmouth. Phineas II was at Monmouth also, but was pretty young when the war broke out - he was 15 or 16 - so served as a private as far as I can tell.

2) The grandfather of Delia Fluvia Allen, father of Fluvia Cervice Allen was Nathaniel Fenton and he has a colorful story because he joined the Continental Army when he was still underage (12 or 13) serving as a scout

3) The mothers fathers father (great grandfather) of Thomas Aycocks Shaw, husband of Delia Fluvia Allen, was WIlliam Aycocks. He was born in England, so when the war broke out, he was "pressed into British Service" and served under Burgoyne's army until they surrendered.

So those are the three Rev War Allens I know about, just to give you a head start for when you get there! :-)

You guys should go and sleep sometimes you know..lol

Erica Howton What's the big news regarding George? I feel a headache coming on ;-)

Are you referring to the DNA results regarding Samuel? He's not in my direct line, so thankfully I won't have to fix anything there.

Private User You are correct. This George Allen, of Sandwich did not marry Katherine Slarks/Starke. You can get to the family tree with sources of the George that married her through here => http://ancestorsinthenews.blogspot.com/p/descendants-of-richard-all...

It is my goal to try and build on this family further so we can hook it up to the big tree, but so far haven't found any of them on Geni. Sure would be awesome if someone else could add on to this tree :-)

Leslie Ann (thanks for the blog post).

The news is a report issued in April 2014 that analyzes YDNA samples & the paper trail to conclude that

1) Samuel of Braintree is not the son of George of Sandwich

However

2) their DNA is very close. They are uncle / nephew or cousins.

AND I think the 1st 2 gens are clean & accurate for a couple of the SAMs.

Yay me & Angus.

Yay, indeed, Erica and Angus! Three cheers for all your work!

Showing 91-120 of 125 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion