Presidents of the United States

Started by Jerome F. Weber on Sunday, July 20, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 241-270 of 320 posts

President Barack Obama and President George Washington are cousins. Both are both related to my 13th great grandmother Margery Hext Collamore (1510-1551) who was President Barack Obama's 17th great aunt and President George Washington's 13th great aunt. Did anyone know of this ancestral connection shared by our 1st and 44th presidents?

@Barack H. Obama, 44th President of the USA
@George Washington, 1st President of the USA

You Go Theresa, You are the one that showed me the links

<3

Thomas Cocke, of Belenden my 12th great grandfather
Thomas John Cook, of Belenden

Barack Hussein Obama, Jr
Barack H. Obama, 44th President of the USA

Barack H. Obama, 44th President of the USA is Thomas Cocke, of Belenden's 12th great grandson

Samuel J. Tilden fits here because he won the popular vote for president in 1876. A geni search on the name produces 15 hits, but not his profile. I find this odd. "Samuel Tilden" produces 120 hits but not him.

I just completed my personal collection of Geni-paths to the Vice Presidents and found direct paths to all but one,
Thomas A. Hendricks, the 21st V. P., under the 22nd President Grover Cleveland; the indirect path goes through 5 or 6 in-laws and I could not find a direct connection from his ancestors for many generations; Any hints?

While doing the Vice Presidents, I also looked up the First Ladies as an add-on project and found for many of them, Geni automatically produced many indirect paths through their President husbands, but following their ascending trees I was able to find anywhere form parents to 6th great grandparents so I could produce a "corrected" Geni profile with direct paths for a total 84% the First Ladies. The most severe case was that of Thelma "Pat" (Ryan) Nixon, who had a very short ascending tree.

Maybe someone who knows the area can check out http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000009948944010?return=match%... and see if that improves things? It seems that there's more info on Thomas A. Hendricks' mother's tree in the other copy.

Thanks Harald, but It only goes a few generations of "No Path"s, although quickly gets and ends near Glasgow.

Regards,
Floyd Bliss Hanson
your 21st cousin four times removed
Minimum Common Grandparents:
Kong Magnus 6 Lagabøter and Ingeborg Eriksdatter af Danmark, Dronning av Norge

I agree. In my post of 8/11 I found nothing for Hendricks. Apart from him, and Walter Mondale's ascent to Danish and Norwegian kings, all other presidents and vice-presidents can claim ascent to John Lackland or Hughes Capet (or both!). Most of them find royal ancestors much closer than that. Use the pushpin for either king and then search each one in turn.

Thanks Jerome,

However, I did not get much of anything useful for Geni using the pushpin, but I do not use MyHeritage since I have not found it worth the cost though I get some trivial data from the Geni-MyHeritage connection occasionally.

Best Regards,
Floyd Bliss Hanson, cousin

Floyd, I do not use MyHeritage either. Perhaps you are not using the pushpin to advantage, since I got all my results that way. Just search John Lackland, then push the pin; then search each name in turn. In several cases, you will have to search, e.g. John Adams's grandfather and G.H.W. Bush's grandfather. After you are done, search Hugues Capet, push the pin, and search each name similarly. I indicated earlier the names that are not responsive; John Tyler's line is controverted (at least it was a few weeks ago), but I managed to climb his tree one rung at a time to get the result you can see above.

Thanks Again Jerome,

Yes, I did not fully understand how the pin worked, but with your repeated prompt I figured how it had to work.

I tried Hugues Capet and John Lackland, but both were still indirect path with a single in-law gap, so I decided to shelve my refined search of VP Thomas A. Hendricks.

BestRegards,
Floyd

PS: The inventor of the microscope and early discoveries of Antoni van Leeuwenhoek was profiled in the NY Times, so I looked him up and he is my 10th Cousin 13 times removed, thanks to English Queen Consort Philippa of Hainault making the Anglo-Dutch connection.

I'm related to all 44 Presidents in some way or another.

Hello 18th cousin once removed, Wentworth Cousin Dale.

You mean you found 44th Presidents under the Constitution, but what about U. S. Presidents under the prior Articles of Confederation, e.g.,

John Hanson, “1st” President of Congress (1721, 1783) : 9th President of the Continental Congress under the U.S. Articles of Confederation and the First to have a whole-year term, 1781-1782; Delegate to the Continental Congress; Born in Maryland;
Signed the Articles of Confederation for Maryland; Served two terms in the Maryland Assembly;
Revolutionary Patriot; Of English and Swedish descent; Businessman; Sheriff; Frederick County Treasurer;
Some consider him the first U.S. President rather than George Washington, but the power of a president under the Constitution was much less than under the earlier Articles of Confederation;
9th cousin 9 times removed.
Minimal Common Great Grandparents of President John Hanson and Floyd Bliss Hanson are Sir William Gascoigne, IV Lord of Gawthorpe and Joan (de Neville) Gascoigne;
Margaret (Hulins) Bliss is the Branch from Bliss Line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hanson.

BestRegards,
Floyd Bliss Hanson

When FDR was president, he was numbered 31st. Sometime since then, the Department of State issued an official list of presidents of the U.S. that has been universally used ever since. It numbers GW as 1st, Cleveland as 22nd and 24th, FDR as 32nd, and currently Obama as 44th. Note the commonly used shorthand of "Bush 41" and "Bush 43."

I understand and use the official list of 44 for Presidents under the Constitution, but I grew up in a Hanson family and John Hanson was declared the 1st President. My cousin-ess with John Hanson is not through my short father's Hanson line but through my mother's Bliss line. I also have the CSA only President Jefferson Davis in my list of cousins, although almost all of my New England relatives were anti-slavery or abolitionists. Davis has a close relationship since my close cousin William (namesake of Fort Bliss) Bliss were in the Army with General Zachary Taylor or his assistant (William) when he was President, while each marrying one of Taylor's two daughters.

SUSAN FROST IS RELATED TO ALL 43 AMERICAN PRESIDENTS
1- George Washington, 1st President of the USA, is your 5th cousin, 6x removed
2 - John Adams, 2nd President ,Signer of the Declaration of Independence, is your 9th cousin, 7x removed
3 -Thomas Jefferson, 3rd President of the United States of America is your 9th cousin, 6x removed
4 - James Madison, 4th President of the USA, is your 7th cousin, 5x removed
5 - James Monroe, 5th President of the USA, is your 10th cousin, 9x removed
6 - John Quincy Adams, 6th President of the USA, is your 10th cousin, 6x removed
7 - Andrew Jackson, 7th President of the USA, is your 7th cousin, 8x removed
8 – Martin Van Buren, 8th President of the USA, is your 13th cousin, 6x removed
9 - William Henry Harrison, 9th President of the United States, is your 6th cousin, 8x removed
10 - John Tyler, 10th Pres. of the USA, is your 11th cousin, 3x removed
11 - James K. Polk, 11th President of the USA, is your 13th cousin, 8x removed
12 - Zachary S. Taylor, 12th President of the USA, is your 6th cousin, 7x removed
13 - Millard Fillmore, 13th President of the USA, is your 7th cousin 6x removed
14 – Franklin Pierce, 14th President of the USA, is your 5th cousin, 6x removed
15 - James Buchanan, 15th President of the USA, is your 12th cousin, 7x removed
16 - Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the USA, is your 10th cousin, 4x removed
17 – Andrew Johnson, 17th President of the USA, is your 11th cousin, 5x removed
18 - Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President of the United States, is your 9th cousin, 4x removed
19 - Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the USA, is your 9th cousin, 4x removed
20 - James A. Garfield, 20th President of the USA, is your 10th cousin, 5x removed
21 - Chester A. Arthur, 21st President of the USA, is your 7th cousin, 3x removed
22 – Grover Cleveland, 22nd and 24th President of the USA, is your 9th cousin, 5x removed
23 – Benjamin Harrison, 23rd President of the USA, is your 8th cousin, 2x removed
25 - William McKinley, 25th President of the USA, is your 12th cousin, 5x removed
26 - Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt, 26th President of the USA is your 12th cousin
27 - William H. Taft, 27th President of the USA, is your 8th cousin 3x removed
28 - Woodrow Wilson, 28th President of the USA is your 14th cousin, 5x removed
29 – Warren Harding, 29th President of the USA, is your 7th cousin, 2x removed
30 - Calvin Coolidge, 30th President of the USA, is your 9th cousin
31 - Herbert C. Hoover, 31st President of the USA, is your 13th cousin, 4x removed
32 -Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32nd President of the USA, is your 13th cousin, once remove
33 - Harry S. Truman, 33rd President of the USA, is your 13th cousin, 2x removed
34 - Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th President of the USA, is your 15th cousin, 2x removed
35 - John F. Kennedy, 35th President of the USA, is your 15th cousin
36 – Lyndon Baines Johnson, 36th President of the USA, is your 12th cousin, 2x removed
37 - Richard Nixon, 37th President of the United States, is your 8th cousin, 2x removed
38 - Gerald Ford, Jr., 38th President of the United States is your 9th cousin, once removed
39 - James E. "Jimmy" Carter, 39th President of the USA, is your 10th cousin, 2x removed
40 - Ronald W. Reagan, 40th President of the USA, is your 13th cousin, once removed
41 - George Herbert Walker Bush, 41st President of the USA, is your 10th cousin, once removed
42 - William J. Clinton, 42nd President of the USA, is your 9th cousin, 3x removed
43 - George W. Bush, 43rd President Of the United States, is your 10th cousin, 2x removed
44 - Barack H. Obama, 44th President of the USA, is your 11th cousin, 2x removed

There are only 43 USA presidents, since one man, Grover Cleveland, was our 22nd and 24th president. This is why the line continues chronologically to our 44th president, Barack Obama.

me too I think there must be quite a few of us!

I've got a few I'm related to as well.

ya i think i got a few to but thats it that are 0 times removed

Me too, i think that i am related to most of them

Hello Cousin Susan::: It seems we are related from the Fitz Randolph- Conyers line .Its a pleasure to "meet" you.I too am related to our presidents.
Me

Linda Kay Harder
your mother

Harold Farmer Harder
her father

Edward Julian Harder
his father

Louisiana Manning
his mother

James Manning
her father

DR. James Manning
his father

Joseph Manning
his father

Grace Fitz Randolph
his mother

Joseph Fitz Randolph
her father

John Fitzrandolph
his father

Edward Fitz Fitzrandolph, Jr.
his father

Edward Fitz Randolph, of Sutton-in-Ashfield
his father

Christopher Fitz Randolph, II
his father

Christopher Fitz Randolph
his father

John Fitz Randolph, II
his father

Joan Conyers
his mother

Sir John Conyers, Sheriff of Yorkshire
her brother

Thomas Conyers
his son

Dorothy Conyers
his daughter

Agnes Scargill
her daughter

Elizabeth de Neville
her daughter

Elizabeth Beaumont
her daughter

Thomas Gardiner
her son

Henry London Gardiner
his son

Henry Gardiner, II
his son

Rev. Michael Gardiner
his son

George Gardiner
his son

Nicholas Gardiner
his son

George Gardiner, Sr.
his son

George Gardiner, Jr.
his son

Rufus Gardiner
his son

Henry M. Gardiner, Sr.
his son

Henry Gardner, Jr.
his son

William Henry Gardner
his son

Edith Manwaring Gardiner
his daughter

Bill Frost
her son

Susan Frost
his daughter

I have been looking at the issue of the list of Presidents of the USA. We have been studying a particular and official list of Presidents under Constitution. However, the name, "United States of America" was officially defined at the beginning of the Articles of Confederation as a "stile" or framework and the Articles were officially ratified in March of 1781. However, the name United States of America was arbitrarily included in the title of the Declaration of Independence in 1781, but was not vote on and the actual author of that subtitle is not really know.

Hence, I think that the Presidents of the Continental Congress under the Articles of Confederation merit being listed with the "Presidents of the USA under U.S. Constitution (1789-present)'' as a sublist
"Presidents of the USA under the U.S. Articles of Confederation in the Continental Congress (1781-1789)".

Here is my list:

1. John Hancock; In Office: 1781-1982; 9th cousin 9 times removed.

2. Elias Boudinot: In Office: 1782-1983; 8th great uncle's son's wife's niece's husband's niece's husband;

3. Thomas Mifflin; In Office: 1783-1784; th great aunt’s great niece's husband's nephew's wife's first cousin once removed.

4. Richard Henry Lee; In Office: 1784-1785; 6th cousin 8 times removed.

5. John Hancock; In Office: 1785-1786; (Also 4th President prior to Articles); 12th cousin 6 times removed.

6. Nathaniel Gorham; In Office: Feb.-Nov. 1987; 5th cousin 6 times removed.

7. Arthur St. Clair; In Office: Feb.-Nov. 1987; 12th cousin 7 times removed.

8. Cyrus Griffin; In Office: Jan.-Feb. 1988, the last before the U. S. Constitution was ratified; first cousin 8 times removed's husband's aunt's husband's first cousin once removed's husband's great granddaughter's husband;

Regards,
Floyd Bliss Hanson

I don't know which "Declaration of Independence" you are dating to 1781. Your dates for the first two and last seven names on your list are probably your typos.

Your connection to Cyrus Griffin as described by the geni algorithm is no relationship at all. We all get these meaningless connections when we search geni.

You and the Hanson family are entitled to your opinion, but the rest of the country follows the Department of State in enumerating the 44 presidents from Washington to Obama. If I may express my own opinion, I think it's odd to give Cleveland two numbers. It was not common earlier in the 20th century, but it is now the official enumeration and we all (most of us) use it.

It's great to be connected to you all

Sorry Jerome and other for a number of typos; thanks Jerome for pointing them out; I am a poor proof-reader.

The year given from for the copy of the Declaration of Independence of 1781 was a glaring typo and should have been 1776; the source being a printed copy of many given in

<http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/The-Vote/2012/0816/Who-coined...;

with the "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA", inserted into the title.

My list of Presidents of the USA under the Articles of Confederation came from

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_the_Continental_Congress#...;

Here is my corrected list:

1. John Hanson; In Office: Nov. 1781-Nov. 1982; 9th cousin 9 times removed.

2. Elias Boudinot: In Office: Nov. 1782-Nov. 1983; "indirect cousin-in-law relation".

3. Thomas Mifflin; In Office: Nov. 1783-Jun. 1784; "indirect cousin-in-law relation".

4. Richard Henry Lee; In Office: Nov. 1784-Nov. 1785; 6th cousin 8 times removed.

5. John Hancock; In Office: Nov. 1785-Jun. 1786; (Also 4th President prior to Articles); 12th cousin 6 times removed.

6. Nathaniel Gorham; In Office: Jun.-Nov. 1986; 5th cousin 6 times removed.

7. Arthur St. Clair; In Office: Feb.-Nov. 1987; 12th cousin 7 times removed.

8. Cyrus Griffin; In Office: Jan.-Feb. 1988, the last before the U. S. Constitution was ratified; "indirect cousin-in-law relation".

P.S: I did indeed make a serious typo with the name of 1. John Hanson, but 2. Elias Boudinot is correct; The only real typo in the date range of tenure was for 6. Gorham, but I added months for those that did not have it; I agree with Jerome that the so-called "cousin-in-law" is hardly a relation at all, especially with multiple in-laws, although I did make a quick check with Hughes Capet and found the same thing.

Floyd Bliss Hanson

Showing 241-270 of 320 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion