Started by Malka Mysels on Sunday, July 27, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
7/27/2014 at 6:23 PM

Private User See http://www.geni.com/discussions/137844
Do manager(s) of a profile get notified when it is tagged in a discussion? eg. Charles Wood

7/27/2014 at 6:57 PM

Nothing at all

7/27/2014 at 7:02 PM

Hhmmmmm, interesting and an important catch.

7/27/2014 at 8:39 PM

Angus Wood-Salomon

Check your Discussions Followed menu, in the pull down options box where you can swap between Discussions I Follow, My Family and All Public.

There should be a list of all Projects you follow with new discussions then below that should be a list of Surnames with new discussions, look for a Wood(123).

Not sure what other parameters need to be met for notifications to show up on this list but it's near pointless if you have a profile tagged in a busy discussion like the Curators Help thread.

7/27/2014 at 9:42 PM

Ok here is the reason I brought this up..I monitor the Public Discussions to see if I can assist. It struck me that whenever someone starts a discussion and tags a profile would a notification be sent to the manager of that profile?

Here is an example http://www.geni.com/discussions/137830

in this example Moira Brigid Ware is writing to Alison Mary CANTWELL who is the manager of the profile she tagged..

Would Alison get a notification about this discussion?

7/27/2014 at 10:19 PM

Well i think the manager is supposed to get notified.

I created a little spam as a test case by starting a discussion from one of your profiles;

http://www.geni.com/discussions/137854?msg=957185

Private User
7/27/2014 at 10:39 PM

It's a check box under Account Settings (accessible under the dropdown menu below your name, upper right corner of screen). Here is a copy and paste of the options on that menu:

Notifications

Geni sends you updates about your family and people you follow. You can also receive daily summaries and individual updates as they occur.
Weekly Newsletter

Email me a weekly summary of recent activity
Email me when new Record Matches are found | what are Record Matches?
Email me when new Smart Matches™ are found | what are Smart Matches™?
Email me when new Tree Matches are found

Email me a daily summary of

new photos, videos, and documents of me (once daily max)
new photos, videos, and documents (once daily max)
new additions to my Tree (once daily max)
upcoming birthdays, anniversaries or other holidays (once daily max)
new messages to discussions I follow (once daily max)

Email me separately when someone

sends me a message
follows me
sends me a gift
sends me a request
accepts my invitation to join my Tree or Family
comments in my guestbook
merges a profile into my profile
deletes a profile I manage
tags me in a discussion
starts a discussion about a profile I follow
comments on photo, video, or document
comments on my event or responds to my comment
discovers a famous relative

Email me when Geni finds how I am related to a profile
Email me when Geni finds new matches for my tree
Email me occasionally about new Geni features and announcements

Unsubscribe me from all Geni emails

7/28/2014 at 12:21 AM

Understood but is the alert system working?

Private User
7/28/2014 at 6:52 AM
Private User
7/28/2014 at 7:05 AM

An examination of my email trash folder reveals that yesterday I received a notice that two people had replied to discussions I was following, and that someone had accepted my request to add a profile to a project. A few days ago I received a notice that someone had accepted my request to collaborate.

My email trash folder does not contain any notices about profiles I follow being tagged in discussions. I don't know if that's because I haven't received any ever, or just not since the folder was last emptied. I do know I haven't received a notice yet for the profile I tagged 13 minutes ago.

7/28/2014 at 7:06 AM

Thanks Jennifer, I already had all of the notifications in my Account settings checked.

When Malka tagged my second great grandfather at the beginning I was not notified

When Alex tagged me at 11.39pm in this discussion I was notified

When he tagged my third great grandmother in this discussion I was notified http://www.geni.com/discussions/137854?msg=957262

This answers all my questions thanks everyone.

7/28/2014 at 3:36 PM

So when you stat a discussion from a profile the managers are notified but if you tag a profile during the discussion there is no notification.

That is very interesting to know.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion