Richard Plantagenet, 1st Earl of Cornwall / "King of the Romans" - Richard Plantagenet, 1st Earl of Cornwall / "King of the Romans"

Started by Donna Jane Avery on Tuesday, September 9, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-42 of 42 posts

I can't find any problem, and everyone is now displaying correctly!!

Thanks for taking the time to help Erica, you've made my day :D

So you do now understand - not a bug. It's a server refresh.

Please direct to the project so we don't have to go through this constantly. Discussions in projects are much easier to find and no doubt the description page could stand improvement but it "was" rather a bit of effort to put together.

By the way this problem was solved at this point in in the discussion. We got Donna's connection all working.
http://www.geni.com/discussions/139432?msg=967573

I did not want to show her path to Richard in the public discussion because of possible Private profiles at her immediate connections.

I thought Donna would have posted back saying it was ok.

Yes everything is great now, I appreciate your help. Thank you so much!!

Sincerely
Donna J. Avery

Alex and Erica,

While logged onto Geni you can force a full refresh for the site. This can be achieved by pressing the Ctrl and F5 keys at the same time on your favourite browser (Firefox, Chrome, Explorer, etc.)

Basic users do get the "refresh" option for some calculated relationship pathways.

Erica Howton

Is Lloyd's "full refresh for the site" the same as your "server refresh"?

It sounds like Lloyd's is acting on my PC (so wouldnt fix this issue) whereas yours is acting on the database but all well beyond my IT understanding.

When Lloyd refreshes on his computer it gives a "fresh"
Snap shot of what Geni is serving up.

The recalc icon refreshes the path on the Geni server.

You might see this in action if you have different devices, I have. One workstation will show one relationship path to a profile, another will show another.

All devices & browsers cache for performance efficiency.

So Lloyd's Ctrl + F5 wouldn't have helped me the same as deleting my PCs cache did not help.

Without your help i would still have the bogus paths and if not for my intimate knowledge of that portion of the tree i would never have known there was an issue.

Which is why the member needs to walk their tree their own self, Alex. I don't think there's a way to pass that task off elsewhere. The HistoryLink tool is the best I know of for spotting outstanding merges & tree conflicts. Once that is done and those issues resolved by a member, usually patience for server updates will do the recalc "for" you. And of course if you can see the recalc icon - press it. :):)

I feel like i repeat myself a lot.

There were no conflicts or outstanding merges in my tree.

Patience did not pay off, i have been complaining of these bad paths for months if not years, how often do server updates occur? I though there were 1/2 hourly cycles.

There were no re-calc buttons to push.

What task am i trying to pass off? The task of displaying accurate relationship paths? Surely that is Geni's task.

Jon Krengel, just another member, fixed it for you. So it's a matter of user education isn't it? I "think" Jon did pretty much the same thing I did: walk "each step" and recalc as the icon presented.

The relationship calculation appears to take shortcuts when possible.
If in calculating the path from you to your 8th GGF it finds that the path from you to your 7rd GGF is already cached it may start with that information and finish the path.
Where does this go wrong? Well if at some point in the past the path to your 7rd GGF was calculated oddly due to conflicts/merges that could have been cached.

What I did was find the last family member in the line to have a correct path, then go up one more. On that new profile I had the option of "refresh" on the path display. Once that newly calculated relationship was cached I walked farther up the tree one step at a time. Basically guiding the relationship calculation as to the correct path.

Caching is good because it makes the web pages load faster, but there are corner cases that make it hard to properly flush the outdated information.

Showing 31-42 of 42 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion