mtDNA results?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Monday, September 22, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 171 posts

Nicola, as your mother's line is all English, as far as you have managed to get back , it might be worth you trying BritainsDNA....They are based in the UK...

Johannes Christiaan Ackerman, I've added your wife & her progenitor. It would be great for others if you filled out her Geni tree to show the connection.

Thanks Sharon,
I am trying to find Adriana Jacoba's (van den Burg/Pepie/VDK/Wiehahn/Loock) mother and came across a Roeloff van den Burg married to Catarina Erasmus born 1706. She stems from the Amsoeboe and Inabe van Timor family. If you happen to come across anything that may help my quest I would be very grateful. Many thanks for your hard work Avis Ackerman

I am going to look into it - would love to be able to find missing rellies via DNA matches!
Next question - how do I go about tracing my father's ancestry through DNA? Being as how I am a woman, I have been told that basically I can't. I would have to co-erce my dad into parting with some of his DNA and I have no idea how I am going to achieve this! I am sure he will think I want it for nefarious purposes and will refuse.

I am haplogroup U5 and my SM is Engeltje Cornelisz VAN DER BOUT. How do I capture/indicate DNA results onto Geni profiles? I have sponsored testing for several people, so can add the results if I know how .... I only recently started adding my tree onto Geni.

Here is mine:You

Ria du Preez
your mother

Anna Susanna KERSHOFF
her mother

Maria Margaretha Freysen
her mother

Anna Susanna Nel
her mother

Dorithea Carolina Koorts
her mother

Geertruyda Jacoba Ruthven
her mother

Dorothea Berendina Sterrenberg
her mother

Aletta Maria Fick
her mother

Christina Keyser
her mother

Aletta Lubbe
her mother

Jacoba Brandenburg
her mother

Thanks girls. Will add to the project if you haven't.

Nicola, if you have a brother, that's another option.

Christelle, Geni has promised us an extra field - but in the meantime please do put the info on the relevant profiles: either in the aka field; or in the About text; or I can MP the profiles and put it in a Curator Note on top of the profiles for you.

I have no brother, sadly. I will just have to think up a creative way to get my 89 year old father to part with some of his DNA.

Thank you. I have added the results I have to the "About" text field and will add info as further results are received.

Great Christelle.

Good luck Nicola.

All added to project, including Ansu.

Thank you Sharon! I couldn't get it posted.

You have to request to Collaborate on a project before you can edit on it - perhaps that's why, Ansu. Anyway, I sent you a Collaboration invitation.

Hi Sharon my Mitochondrial DNA is Haplogroep H27 If you can enter it for me Tanks Gideon

Done, Deon GH Botha b1c7d1e8f1g1h4i5j1k2 - Thank you so much for sharing.
I've sent you Collaboration requests on both the Y & mtDNA DNA Haplogroup projects that are specific to your results as well.

Deon GH Botha b1c7d1e8f1g1h4i5j1k2 Hope you don't mind me butting in Gideon - do you know who your earliest direct matrilineal ancestor is?

Delia Robertson no sorry I don't still working on it hit a brick wall but at this point of time it looks like Oosthuizen

Thank you Deon GH Botha b1c7d1e8f1g1h4i5j1k2 - appreciated.

Delia - It's Elizabeth Catharina Helena Schoeman Haplogroup H27. I've added her to the project. Please double check me Gideon.

Sharon - think she is earliest identified - but not earliest.

Yes - you mean not necessarily the SA Progenitor. True.

Sharon, How did I go about having my DNA " tested/classified. Is there a Place in South-Africa or Namibia where it can be done. What does it cost. All
quotations are in US$ (The children will pay for it. )

Wow! I must tell my children about that. I'm still trying to figure out how to pay for mine.
To be honest, I don't have the experience to answer this.
Let's open to other users who have had it done to advise you.....

Yes Sharon and Delia you are right it is Elizabeth Catharina Helena Schoeman my greate grandmother on mother side think her father was Gert Christoffel Schoeman and her mother Gertruida Margaretha still working on this and sorry about my wrong info Delia

It seems that nobody can help me with my DNA testing. 1 Where in South Africa can it been done. 2 What will it cost . 3 Should I commit a murder and spill my blood on the scene and had it done for free.by the police.

:-) Tell us how that goes, Dries - I'll create a project for your Murder Trial. A couple of people have been posting newbie to genealogy testing articles. I'll try and search through them for you, when I get a chance next week.
Post on the Geni SA FaceBook site too.

Thanks Sharon. Don't be afraid it is not you that I have in mind.
I wont trouble you till I hear from you.

Hi Dries, the best value for money test that includes Y-DNA, mtDNA and autosomal DNA tests with ancestral percentages included (Biogeographical analysis) is the Geno 2.0 test from the Genographic Project at $199. Occasionally this goes on sale for $169. The results from Geno 2.0 can be transferred to Family Tree DNA as they are partners. This means that you can open an account for free at FTDNA and join our Cape Dutch Stamvader Project after you receive your Geno 2.0 results. Find out if they ship to South Africa, if not then go with FTDNA. http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/favorites/best-selle...

The other alternative is do what most of us have done and that is test directly with FTDNA. https://www.familytreedna.com/products.aspx?

Sorry it is not my Young Goat but my kit for testing my DNA that's on its way

:-)

Showing 31-60 of 171 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion