mtDNA results?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Monday, September 22, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-90 of 171 posts

I had my MtDNA tested with FamilyTreeDNA and I am Haplogroup U4 - Netherlands and U4c1a - South Africa.
My Mother is Nancy Margaret Walden
My Grandmother was Sophie Christina Colloty
My GGrandmother was Lilian Mann
My GGGrandmother was Alice Swanepoel (TBC).
I would love to join your project and hopefully find some matches.
Regards
Lisette Cousins (nee Arpin)

Welcome Lisette -Thankyou for sharing your DNA results with us. I will add you to the project. Can you put more of your tree onto Geni - or can we help you research it further? It would be great to get it back to your SA progenitor.

Thank you Sharon, I have my "main" tree on myheritage, so will upload a gedcom file to geni shortly. Thanks for adding me

Lisette, I'm afraid you'll have to do it by hand - allowing people to upload gedcoms to the one world tree created so many duplicates that Geni had to stop it - as people were spending all their time on GEni trying to merge in the duplicates :-(

Hi Sharon,
I've discovered that, so I'm adding info slowly, I have over 13 000 people in my Myheritage Tree and I've got to the stage where I'm about to turn off the "smart match" application. It's been helpful, but as you say, the duplications are horrendous and I just don't have the time to sit there and manually delete them :(
I've added as far as I have on my maternal side as far as getting to know who my Progenitor is. I will add more info as I go along and have free time. If you can assist me further with who she was, I would be truly appreciative.

You go girl :-)
Will take a look.

Lisette Cousins, who were the parents of Alice Sophia Swanepoel? Can just link her to them on Geni and that would be it, no need for duplicates.

Jan Marthinus Blomerus, I don't have any concrete evidence yet as to who they are, I'm still searching.

Ok - me too (searching for her parents...)... U4c1a should one day narrow it down with more mtDNA results... I see there are currently NONE under the SA mtDNA profiles. :(

Did some work on the rest of your right hand tree (more towards the left) - you can verify with your MH tree?

The FTDNA family finder test https://www.familytreedna.com/family-finder-compare.aspx
And their beginner's guide to genetic testing: https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/dna-basics/

Something quite interesting; my maternal Grgr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr gr grandmother, Antje Bort`s ,mother, was confirmed to have been of Indian descend by a match of my Mtdna with those of a Indian cousin .

I always wonder where my craving for curry and rice comes from.

:-)

Exciting news. My second cousin once removed, Glynis van der Watt, has had her mtDNA tested and she is also N21.

Oh now that is really exciting, Charlette. You two have a common matrilineal ancestor - that's correct? So a cousin confirmation helps prove that the mtDNA haplogroup attributed to your common ancestor is correct. Littlle happy dance around my desk here before I go off to find them on Geni.... :-) :-)

Is the FTDNA test on the familytreedna link above the same test as is used by Ancestry? I did that test a while ago and linked it to my tree on Ancestry and it gave me a breakdown of where in the world my ancestors hail from as well as putting me in touch with anyone who could be a relation who is already in the Ancestry database. I am not prepared to do this same test a second time (and fork out another $199). Can my Ancestry results not be linked to Geni or familytreedna...?

Nicola Bensimon, you definitely don't have to repeat the test for geni. If you share with us your MtDNA result - we can walk your line and find your matrilineal ancestor. That means that people whose family trees are on geni can plot their own lines to her, and tell if they share her(your) mtDNA.
It would be so great to have this info.

I'm not sure what info FTDNA will let you import and extrapolate for you. There are a couple of geni users who work with/on FTDNA - I'm just trying to recall who: Private User are you one of them?

Hello Sharon. Correct, I am one of the co-administrators currently busy with the Cape-Dutch stamvader project at FTDNA.

DNA results belong to the individuals themselves. With permission from the client we can study their results and provide any needed assistance.

Any individuals interested in having their DNA tested, analyzed and/or test results from various other testing companies interpreted, are welcome to contact me for more information. https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/cape-dutch/about/background

The test I had through Ancestry was not the mtDNA test, that I know for sure. I had to fill a test tube with saliva and send it to them and they came back giving my DNA breakdown of 45% West European, 25% Irish, 3% Middle Eastern etc etc and from there I can now access their list of other people who are potentially related to me. That's all. And it tells me relatives from my mother and father's side. I have managed to track quite a few of these people and have figured out how they are related to me, so it does work. But it seems to be a very general test and not much detail was supplied. The mtDNA test is different and I don't think Ancestry offers that one, unless I am looking in the wrong place.
I also didn't receive the results in a file format - they uploaded the test results directly into my family tree on Ancestry. So I don't know how I would give this info to you?

Looking at the Geni DNA tests available, which one do you recommend? Is the mtDNAPlus sufficient or should I go for the big Family Finder&mtFullSequence test? What are the added benefits of the more expensive one?

If you want to test your mtDNA and would like a complete test that gives you all your SNPs (mutations). You will not need another mtDNA test.

If you are uncertain about mtDNA testing, as a general rule of thumb, there are two types of tests. The cheaper test that only tests the HV1 region on the X chromosome, and the full mtDNA test that includes both HV1 & HV2 regions with a complete list of mutations accessible in file format.

Note: Please refrain from naming testing companies here (discussion forum) as it is considered inappropriate to advertise or single out specific commercial DNA testing companies on Geni public forums

Thank-you!

Nicola, the test you had done and have described to us is an Autosomal DNA test. There are three main DNA testing categories, Y-DNA (male-line), mtDNA (maternal-line) and lastly, the Autosomal test.

Autosomal tests have limited genealogical use to most South Africans with Cape Dutch ancestry due to the unique genealogical make-up of South Africans. It is not unusual to find many Autosomal test matches that one cannot account for in the modern genealogical time frame. This is on account of DNA introjection, this happens when the same strands of DNA are re-introduced into a population many times over. This results in matches appearing more closely-related than they really are in familial terms.

And Geni finally announces its DNA enhancement. And it's AWESOME. :-) Nicola Bensimon, can you upload your autosomal result from Ancestry?

I have a problem. Here I sit with all the Dna`s of the world. My own YDna my MtDna My son`s YDna (lucky for the wife the same as mine) My wife`s Mtdna.and I don't know how to use it. I have joined The Cape Dutch Project
but it seemed that I am the only Potgieter who had his Dna taken I cant compare mine to see if somebody in my line was born out of wedlock and should actually been Windsor.

I try to give my Dna particulars to this New Geni Dna project but I only get as far to where the advertise a New. $99 test and that is more or less the same with every other Dna thing. Behind every door stands a $99 or $139
beggar

I know the basics of Dna but it is the system that drops me. It is to complicated. (I don't feel embarrass about not knowing how this new things worked. I can tell you everything about the workings of an ox wagon)
IS THERE ANYBODY VOLUNTEERING TO LEAD MY TROUGH THIS LABYRINTH OF PITFALLS. I am a quick learner and I ask this for the sake of those thousands who have the same problem but are to shy to ask

Dries - hang on - I'll find you someone who's done it before the end of the day. We want your results on Geni. Thanks for asking how.

Martin Andreas Karl (Dries) Potgieter
Log eers uit ftDNA. Vir elke persoon moet jy eers uitlog, sodat jy as die regte persoon kan inlog om die regte persoon se data by die persoon op geni kan laai.

dan:

Geni has partnered with Family Tree DNA to offer DNA tests that can help you confirm your genetic relationship to relatives in your tree, and discover new relatives.
Select a DNA test
Has xxxxxxx already taken a DNA test? If you have access to his DNA test results, use our simple and error-free one-click process to (DAN CLICK JY HIER OP HIERDIE VOLGENDE GEDEELTE)-> transfer those DNA results from Family Tree DNA to Geni <- jy sal sien dis effe blou.

Dan vat dit jou na ftDNA se log in page en dan log jy as die persoon in en dan op ftDNA page click jy op accept conditions, dit biekie verder af en dan "Link" of wat daai button ook al se^.
Sterkte

Do not select (" Select a DNA test")

Thankyou, Private User - you're a star. Dries, yell when you come right.

Thanks Sharon and C (you should some time tell me your name)
I shall leave it till tomorrow. Not working on sundays.

Showing 61-90 of 171 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion