Started by Private User on Friday, October 3, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 29 posts
Private User
10/3/2014 at 6:42 AM

HOW many times to I have to keep dissociating White of Somerset (yeomen, Protestant/Puritan) from White of Farnham/Hutton (highborn, CATHOLIC)?

Get this through your heads, everyone: Emma Siggins White's "Genesis of the White Family" and everything based on it is CRAP!!!

Richard White of Somerset IS NOT the son of Sir Thomas White, Sr., MP !!!

Sir Thomas White, Sr., MP IS NOT the same person as Thomas White of Somerset (that didn't happen YET, but it was coming!)

Agnes White IS NOT the same person as Agnes White, of Somerset

Helen White IS NOT the same person as Ellen or Helen White and IS NOT the daughter of Stephen Kirton and Margaret Kirton !

And finally, Robert White, of Messing is NOT related, so far as can be proved, to ANY other known White family - not Farnham/Hutton, not Somerset, not Nottingham, not Fiddleford, not ANYBODY.

THROW OUT your copies of "Genesis of the White Family", and THROW OUT any "genealogical" references that depend on that piece of bogus garbage!!!

It's a FAKE, do you understand me? FAKE FAKE FAKE!!!

As FAKE as anything by Gustave Anjou or Henry G. Somerby or any other notorious genealogical fraudster!!!

10/3/2014 at 9:52 AM

Maven,

Isn't this why Ofir Freeman locks certain profiles so you have to request a merge? It's the only solution with some of these fakes. They will keep doing the rounds for a long time.

I imagine there is an early Massachussets immigrant somewhere? Strange how often the fraudsters grafted them onto Catholic families.

Mark

Private User
10/3/2014 at 11:14 AM

Often I'll place in the curator notes specifics about the relationship and dispel common misinformation. Might be warranted here to avoid future confusion.

Private
10/3/2014 at 11:28 AM

NON PAS ENCORE!! qui est cette fois-maven?

10/3/2014 at 11:33 AM

Curator's Notes and About (bolded). And lock the fields so the merge CANNOT take place without a curator's involvement.

This is very frustrating. I often write to the person who did the merge and set them straight, but that does not stop the next new Geni member who joins and wants to add "their" tree and starts messing with lines like this.

Also where parents are unknown, I make MP unknown parents and lock the profiles entirely.

Private
10/3/2014 at 11:34 AM

conservateurs ont bloqué certains d'entre eux maven

Private
10/3/2014 at 11:36 AM

richard blanc noté mais doit serrure

Private
10/3/2014 at 11:37 AM

pourquoi mon réglage de languge en français? J'ai besoin de l'enlever pour l'anglais!

10/3/2014 at 12:11 PM

Private User

I took some of your notes and put it in the Curator notes of some of those profiles, hope it helps

10/3/2014 at 12:14 PM

Private

Go to bottom of page and see if your language was changed it should say English (US)

10/3/2014 at 12:15 PM

Click on it and change it, if it is French

Private
10/3/2014 at 12:30 PM

thanks.. fixed it. I'm on holiday near canada so for some reason it must have auto detected french but i'm good now.

Private User
10/3/2014 at 12:44 PM

Woodman Mark Lowes Dickinson, OBE "I imagine there is an early Massachussets immigrant somewhere?"

Two, at least. One in this family: John White and one 'Elder' John White of Hartford from Robert White, of Messing .

They are, as far as anyone knows, NOT related - which doesn't stop people from trying to force them into relationship.

Private
10/3/2014 at 12:54 PM

Private User is there issues with my 11th great grand uncle that i should be aware of?

10/3/2014 at 1:35 PM

Michael,

There are always issues with your relations that you should be aware of. My great-grandfather used to retire into what was known as the "Oh-my-God room", where he would repent (hence the name of the room) of being a bit too familiar with the maids.

It would make Geni rather more entertaining if we could do this for all profiles, or even 20% of them (presumably we will be a bit less frank with our own one-night stands, when we can remember them). And famous courtesans pose problems for easy accessibilty to any tree. For my part I have only put on one gay partnership, although well-evidenced, just for the fun of adding to a nice acristocratic tree.

Mark

Private
10/3/2014 at 1:49 PM

lol..

I love it Woodman. And am ALL for it. My Opinion only, this is History not a Novel, it should be as it is not how we wish it to be.

Private User
10/3/2014 at 4:39 PM

I should have said "force them into kinship", since that's more exactly what's been happening. But HAW! HAW! HAW!

10/5/2014 at 6:10 PM

Because "White" isn't exactly an uncommon surname, all this confusion isn't surprising. I detached "all of the above" Whites from the paternal line of my ancestor Robert White of Messing in favor of researching a lead from my paternal grandmother (g-granddaughter of Laura White Hunt). That our Whites are descended from Sir John Whyte, Lord Mayor of London. His wife was Sibyl White, daughter of Robert White III of Hampshire and Elizabeth Inglefield, which could both clear up AND cause more confusion. Like most of her ancestors, Laura White Hunt enjoyed a long life, dying in 1926 at the age of 87. My grandmother was 13 at the time and remembered her well. (FYI: Laura smoked cigars and could out-curse a drunken sailor, much to the chagrin of her Puritan family's sensibilities).

Private User
10/5/2014 at 6:44 PM

Except, no one has *ever* found hard documentary proof that Robert White of Messing was related to *any* other White family at all.

Considering that he was emphatically Protestant with Puritan leanings,his chances of belonging to a fanatically Catholic family like the Hampshire/London/Aldershot Whites aren't particularly good.

Private User
10/5/2014 at 6:49 PM

Frankly, Emma Siggins White (author of "Genesis of the White Family" and other fraudulent tomes) was the kind of "genealogist" that gives the field a bad name. She forced about six or eight unrelated White families into kinship, nearly *destroying* all traces of the yeoman White line of Somerset in the process. It was her good luck - and their misfortune - that about three generations had sufficiently similar names that they could be bogusly Bad-Merged.

Anybody who bases any of their research on anything derived from her ambitious mischief is asking for trouble.

Private User
10/5/2014 at 7:00 PM

Also, anyone who thinks there is "a" White family needs to take a good look at the three pages(!) of Whites at Familytreedna.com: https://www.familytreedna.com/public/white/default.aspx?section=yco...

Private
10/5/2014 at 7:08 PM

Private User i agree with you about people no doing their homework on research but can we all take a chill pill and move on?
thanks.

Private
10/5/2014 at 7:09 PM

your really wanting to waste time on a unwinable battle here..

10/5/2014 at 7:11 PM

Private

Can you please explain to me how that statement above contributes to this discussion

Again I am going to ask you to stop these remarks or I will be forced to report them

Private User
10/5/2014 at 7:35 PM

Things *were* quiet for almost 26 hours, and I wasn't the one who stirred them up again.

10/5/2014 at 10:51 PM

This reminded me to post a link to "my" John White, of Maine

His kids had decided to join the 'Elder' John White of Hartford family and vice versa. How they can do this 400 years later I'll never know, but there you have it.

Sing out if you spot any other "switched at birth" white's ....

Private User
10/5/2014 at 11:29 PM

I did manage to extricate and reconstruct a line of York Whites Thomas White, de Alnewyk - predominantly guildsmen, which meant that the City of York guildhallrecords, which are quite well-kept, were very useful.

I'm not sure about the first few profiles or the tail-end link to London, but the five generations marked with the City of York flag are fairly well substantiated from the guild records.

Private User
10/5/2014 at 11:45 PM

I left White of Tuxford (Nottinghamshire - not to be confused with White of Sturton-le-Steeple, Notts) loosely connected to the Farnham/Swanbourne/etc bunch, because there remains the possibility that they may have had a common ancestor a long way back. (Unless Y-DNA research knocks that on the head, of course!)

So far the only White line indisputably pinned by Y-DNA is White of Poole/Fittleford/Weymouth, MA. They're almost certainly *not* related to White of Farnham/Swanbourne/etc.

Showing all 29 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion