Who to add to the project?

Started by Private User on Saturday, January 31, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
Private User
1/31/2015 at 10:44 AM

Do we add anybody who's been adopted even if we know the birth parents? I have a person in my tree that I would like to know the adoptive parents. Also 3 where the mother remarried and the step-father adopted the children.

Private User
2/1/2015 at 4:22 AM

"If somebody remarries, it is easy to depict" Not quite that easy as the adopted child will have a different surname, the surname of the 2nd husband. This may cause confusion at and people who are not familiar with the family may change the parents.

2/1/2015 at 5:42 PM

Keep in mind that perhaps the main reason to add the profile of an adopted person to this project is so that, when Geni gets around to adding explicit support for adoptive relationships, it will be easier to "find" such profiles and "fix them up" with whatever new features/capabilities are provided at that time.

2/1/2015 at 5:44 PM

Thanks H and Charmaine. The adopted children I'm talking about are not the child of one parent and not the other. They are adopted by a single mother or married couple.

Private User
2/2/2015 at 7:26 AM

Thanks Tanya Brown, that covers the first question I asked.

3/4/2015 at 4:20 AM

I think if your family includes members that have been adopted in any way, that it should at least be noted. It will provide the needed information to members that are searching to follow the correct bloodlines. As I have been having issues trying to find my true bloodline.

Private User
3/4/2015 at 4:29 AM

I agree that it should be noted Harry Craig III In my own case my entire huguenot ancestry would've been lost if I did not add my father but only added my step father. On my step fathers side I don't know anything and I don't think it's even relevant.

Private User
3/4/2015 at 4:30 AM

I did add it as also known as because my adopted surname would appear on my birth certificate for ever. Can't be changed.

3/4/2015 at 4:38 AM

In my case I can only go back to Stephen who is the adopted father of Sylvester and Adelia, which shows their last names as Craig. I also have Census records that give Adelia the last name of Sylvester. I am told their birth place in in Pickering Township, Ontario, Canada. But without their true last name I can not go any farther. I don't have the funds to go pro on any of the sites I'm on, so my record search is very slow coming.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion