Started by Alex Moes on Friday, April 24, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
4/24/2015 at 7:42 PM

Hi Ric Dickinson, Geni Curator

Oleg's About starts "Note: The precise relationship, if any, between Oleg and the main line of Rurik is not known. It is most likely that he was the brother-in-law of Rurik."

Which may or may not be true.

Oleg is currently on the tree as Igor's son, this cannot be correct.

Oleg, whoever he was, succeeded Rurik and then was succeeded by Igor when he came of age, so he can't be Igor's son as that would not make sense.

Alex

4/24/2015 at 8:00 PM

Further, Oleg is married to Elga de Frisia who is the mother of Efanda, Grand Duchess of Novgorod who is the wife of Rurik.

This would make Oleg the step father of his own grandmother!

Another complication is that [Elga de Frisia is step sister of Unknown Profile who it seems is likely a duplicate of King of the Danes Hemming of Jutland Halfdanson. In itself this is not a problem except that the second Hemming has a daughter, nn Hemmingsdotter, who is married to none other than ... wait for it ... Oleg [Helvi III] "Younger", Prince of Novogorod.

If my mental arithmetic is right this makes Oleg wife the aunt of his other wife?!

Of course none of these profile's have any useful info in the About sections to explain themselves.

4/24/2015 at 8:05 PM

Sorry meant to say in the first post that Oleg, who died 912, needs to be disconnected from his current parents but i have no idea who he should be the son of.

Igor might have had a son for all i know named Oleg but this is not the same person.

Private User
4/24/2015 at 8:29 PM

Wikipedia is not to be used as an authoritative source, but it does outline the controversy here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleg_of_Novgorod

and provides sources and references that can be followed up on.

4/24/2015 at 10:25 PM

I've had a change of heart, this is fun!

Oleg's wife, Elga de Frisia is also married to Halfdan II Haraldsson, King of Hedeby who is the son of Hrærekur "sløngvandbaugi" Haraldsson.

Now the fun bit is that Hrærekur "sløngvandbaugi" Haraldsson is the great grandfather of Ingvar Ruriksson, de Lethra who is the husband of Oleg's great great grandmother, Umila !

Anyone else feeling dizzy? :)

5/3/2018 at 3:52 PM

I am disconnecting Efanda, Grand Duchess of Novgorod from her "husband" Hvidserk Ragnarsson

As nothing in either About suggests this link, if anyone can find a source (which does not mean an Ancestry.com tree) that supports the marriage please post the text here.

5/19/2018 at 3:55 AM

I hope no one gets too upset when I say that this profile is a "steaming pile".

In the various name fields we have:
Oleg, Danish prince of Kiev
Oleg from Novgorod, Grand Prince of Rus
Russian: Oleg Erikson from Novgorod, Grand Duke of Kiev

Ignoring for a moment that he died before Novgorod existed how can he be a Danish and Rus and Kievan prince? And why would he have Erikson as a RUSSIAN patronym? Especially if his father is supposed to be Sigurd Snake-eye?

The mental gymnastics are amusing to read about but not worth keeping. I am going to start by cutting off from parents Sigurd/"Blæja" (later known as Heluna) and also cutting off from wife Anna

5/19/2018 at 3:58 AM

I've also Locked Relationships on Oleg so no more silliness can creep in, but be warned: I will be back and my axe is still thirsty!

5/19/2018 at 9:51 AM

I agreen that needs looking into. As far i know the Rurik dinasty was founded by Rurik ( Horik) and Oleg ( Helgi) who were Rusvikings that came from Scandianvia ( danmark/sweden)

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion