Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 27 posts
Private User
10/29/2015 at 10:28 AM

Take a look in the: "Master Profiles for passengers of the Mayflower"

Lots of garbage profiles added.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to get this cleaned up and perhaps reprimanding the contributors?

!• MMvB

10/29/2015 at 12:18 PM

I deleted the majority of them. This is the only one that I was unsure about, from reading the profile: John Mullins

Erica Howton will know.

People added parents of or children of passengers who were not on the Mayflower themselves. Apparently they did not understand the project description.

Private User
10/29/2015 at 1:25 PM

John Mullins wasn't on the Mayflower.

10/29/2015 at 1:29 PM

Thank you very much, Hatte.

There are health issues in my family demanding a fair amount of attention, so I'm doing small tasks only. I don't know the answer to whether John Mullins emigrated with his family on the Mayflower or not. I hope someone (perhaps a Mullins descendant) will research the question and contribute to the profile?

Mike

The Mayflower project is the #8 Geni project. It's great timing for a Thanksgiving clean up. Or I should say, "Great Pumpkin.". :):)

Contributions much appreciated.

10/29/2015 at 1:29 PM

Arthur - can you add notes to the profile clarifying?

10/29/2015 at 2:00 PM

While I wouldn't normally rely on Wikipedia, this is such basic stuff that this paragraph should be sufficient. It looks like there is no son, John Mullins.

"...When the Mullins family boarded the Mayflower, they consisted of William, then about age fifty, his wife Alice, daughter Priscilla and son Joseph, as well as a servant. They boarded the ship with the London contingent, and not as part of the Leiden religionists. Mullins was a shoemaker and businessman, and carried with him a large stock of boots and shoes. The family had left behind in Dorking the two eldest children, Sarah, about age 22 and probably married, and William, possibly in his late 20s and married. These two older children may have been borne by a first wife of Mullins. His daughter Sarah, married to _____ Blunden, was his estate administrator, as requested in Mullins will..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Mullins_(Mayflower_passenger)

Definitely not a passenger (see below), it looks like there are too many Mullins children maybe from MH and other online sources. Mullins may need to be cleaned up.

http://mayflowerhistory.com/mayflower-passenger-list/

10/29/2015 at 2:02 PM

http://mayflowerhistory.com/mullins-william/

yes, the other children do not belong to William Mullins.

CHILDREN: William, Sarah, Priscilla, and Joseph.

10/29/2015 at 2:09 PM

Can you cut them loose Hatte? I usually put into the overview something like this so the error doesn't get repeated:

----

===comments===

Not a known child of (Geni profile URL) & (Geni profile URL). Disconnected (date stamp). Ref: (supporting outside link)

10/29/2015 at 2:13 PM

Already done. I cut loose - Ruth, John, and Isaac. I just checked with Anderson The Great Migration Begins.

The children were indeed Joseph c. 1596, William c. 1593, Sarah c. 1598, and Priscilla c. 1603.

10/29/2015 at 2:43 PM

Can someone take the Mayflower passenger list and go through the profiles in the project and post here if there are any extraneous or missing, please?

http://mayflowerhistory.com/mayflower-passenger-list/

10/29/2015 at 2:46 PM

Also, as Michael suggested, in advance of the Mayflower program coming up, it would be great if we went through every family, like we did for Mullins and followed Erica's suggestions above:

1. detach the extraneous child(ren)
2. Put a note in the Overview (see Erica's example above)

As I did for John Mullins

Private User
10/29/2015 at 3:51 PM

Thank you for your quick attention to this.

I am still getting familiar with the project format...
I am finding links that really do enrich the genealogical side with historical content... Will try to help where I'm able...

10/29/2015 at 5:02 PM

Private User - it would be great and a number of us would pitch in and check both the profiles in the project AND each family. I can do a lot next week but not until around Wednesday.

10/29/2015 at 5:28 PM

I can work on the family of Edward Doty, "Mayflower" Passenger next - I've put some work recently into his "spurious pedigree" & just now into his wife's family.

Interestingly I intersect this tree through a (likely, but not proven for me) New Amsterdam line: Thomas Skillman, II & Annetje Skillman

10/29/2015 at 5:39 PM

I'm curious. When we look up the Mayflower passengers, are we just looking at the Mayflower or the survivors of some of the other ships as well? There were 3, but I can't recall if anyone else survived.

:/

10/29/2015 at 5:55 PM

Only Mayflower 1620 for this project.

10/29/2015 at 6:04 PM

The Mayflower landed at Plymouth in 1621, followed by the Anne and the Little James. Those are the first 3 ships that landed at Plymouth.

I actually had to go and look it up. But I only was wondering. Don't know about the dates on Anne and Little James.

Speedwell was with the Mayflower for a while, but was sabotaged twice by her crew. Don't know if it landed with the Mayflower or not. Didn't look too deeply.

Thanks for clarifying the project specs for me though. So if the Speedwell landed with the Mayflower, then you're going by the Mayflower Pact or using the ship manifest?

10/29/2015 at 6:24 PM

The speedwell never crossed the Atlantic at this time so is out of scope for this project. No, not only the SIGNERS! That would mean no women, children, no Oceanus Hopkins, and especially ... no dog. :)

=====

Scope is on the front page:

Detailed below is a list of the passengers on board the Mayflower during its trans-Atlantic voyage of September 6 - November 9, 1620, the majority of them becoming the settlers of Plymouth Colony in what is now Massachusetts. Of the passengers, 37 were members of the separatist Leiden congregation seeking freedom of worship in the New World ...

=====

This is a "cleanup" effort. Most everyone should be already in the project, this was done in 2010. There might be a couple of stragglers missing -- I think a couple of the single servants, no further information, may not have Geni profiles.

As Mike pointed out, if they weren't on this trip, they should be removed from project. Many of the wives and children came later on the Anne & Little James.

10/29/2015 at 7:38 PM

Anne & Little James arrived in 1623

10/29/2015 at 8:14 PM

This is the Geni project for the Anne & Little James if any profiles need to be added to it

http://www.geni.com/projects/Great-Migration-Passengers-of-the-Anne...

Private User
10/30/2015 at 4:17 AM

Now that the clean-up has progressed and the truly offending files removed, let me note to readers in this discussion: The profiles I was focusing on were clearly hacker material: Some individual(s) were adding 21st century profiles to the list in a spam-like manner. That is, one name in particular was inserted multiple times (an oriental-looking surname).
It's astonishing that someone would take the effort to take such a bizarre action.... (Ah, the vicissitudes of cyber-space!)

It's also a shame that all of you who work so hard to make <discussions> a valuable resource have had to come back an go over old ground.
Thank you for your efforts!
:)

Private User
10/30/2015 at 7:12 AM

The person who has hacked Yours profiles on Geni: Find the users name and Block it and set all the profiles Master Profiles. Then will all Your unnecessary work end.

That is my experiense on Geni hitherto.

Arnfred Nilsen

Private User
10/30/2015 at 7:16 AM

Amfred: Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think your suggestion applies to an opening page on a Project?... What you outline still a great thing to remember...

Regards,
Mike vB

10/30/2015 at 7:26 AM

We did have a spam attack on projects not long ago, but I didn't see any of those when I went through the list. I haven't seen spam profiles, only spam text ever in the past.

Spam attacks are often done by automatic programs, not people.

As for Arnfred's suggestion - curators can make a profile a Master Profile (MP) and can further lock the fields so they can only be edited if a curator unlocks them. We have no mechanism as of now to prevent extraneous and erroneous spouses or children from being added, although having an MP does help prevent erroneous merges since the merge has to be approved by a curator.

We do have a way that we prevent erroneous parents from being added when the parents are unknown.

10/30/2015 at 8:50 AM

Thanks, Erica and pees for filling in the blanks. I shouldn't have brought it up in this discussion now that I'm more awake. :3

(Mom's gone to nursing home and her sister just passed away today. I've been distracted.)

Sorry to hear about the Bot-Spam.... Had hoped that wouldn't be a problem here. Had a couple of projects I was working on a few years ago where the Bots were able to multiply. Crashed the servers and they ended up shutting the whole system down. Ads. Ads. Mores Ads. But that was worse than just the bots posting.

Glad you could fix it, Hatte. I hate that stuff.

10/30/2015 at 8:51 AM

pees was a typo. supposed to be 'Peeps' as in people.

10/30/2015 at 8:56 AM

This may be stupid of me to suggest, since I should go back and reread the project page, but maybe someone could add something about the other ships and times to the project's main page with referances to the relevant projects dealing with them? A bit of info for those who really don't know. Forgive me if it is already there. :/

I have to go to a medical appointment and don't have the time to do a better post than this. Probably should have just messaged Hatte or Erica.

Showing all 27 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion