Confusion re: Engeltje Cornelisz van der Bout

Started by Private User on Wednesday, June 22, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-42 of 42 posts

That sounds right, Drummond. If I don't get there - will you do that?

I've updated South African mtDNA - Female Progenitors, see if you everyone's happy with my edits. I'll leave the MP for Engeltje Cornelisz van der Bout, SM/PROG up to you? Maybe something along the lines of Confirmed mtDNA Haplogroup U5, predicted mtDNA Haplogroup U5a1c1. Thoughts?

Dr Thea de Wet is also through Catharina Koopman.

Thanks guys. Looks good :-)

Johannes Jacobus Nel has just had his mtDNA confirmed as U5a1c1a which corroborates his maternal descent from
Engeltje Cornelisz van der Bout, SM/PROG to Anna Maria Koopman to Petronella "Pieternella" Jansen to Anna Francina Esterhuizen etc

I thinkthis is confirming a different daughter line of Engeltje's to everyone else - which converged on Anna Maria Jacoba Grootschel, SM/PROG or Catharina Koopman, SM?

But it's been a while since I looked closely at this descent tree on the project, so I may be way off.

Help from those of you who know these lines and share the mtDNA please?

I see we do have other Anna Maria Koopman descendants here. Have we just not updated the project - or am I missing something? Private User - your thoughts?

Hi Sharon, likewise, it's been a while since I last looked at the project. I'll review today and tidy up as necessary.

There are currently 3234 profiles tagged with U5a1c1a. When I wittled it down to profiles with DNA data, the list went down to 4 profiles, and curiously my wife wasn't in the list. When I checked her profile I noticed that it still reflected the previous mtDNA tree build. I unlinked her Geni profile from FTDNA and relinked it and it now reflects the correct subclade and she appears in the list. I would strongly recommend that users who had their mtDNA Full Sequence completed prior to 18 February 2016 unlink and relink their profiles.

Of those 5 results Private User and Private User converge at Anna Jacoba Scholtz. As Christelle Horne Viljoen and Private are siblings they converge on Private and lead to Catharina Koopman, SM. Finally Johannes Jacobus Nel converges Marli and Martin's lines at Anna Maria Koopman. All five converge on Engeltje Cornelisz van der Bout, SM/PROG.

What if kept it simple i.e. only profiles with DNA attached (not propagated) and we had:
Engeltje Cornelisz van der Bout - confirmed U5a1c1a
confirmed Anna Maria Koopman through Marli Corrie and Martin Hardy Ellis
confirmed Catharina Koopman through Christelle Horne Viljoen and Gerhardus Cornelius Hendrik Viljoen.

We can add the U5 test results however there are 19290 profiles tagged as U5 on Geni.com of which 208 have DNA data attached. Also if we've confirmed U5a1c1a the U5 essentially goes without saying.

I like the idea of a "living descendants" category e.g. subheading of living descendants of Engeltje Cornelisz van der Bout. Not sure how to implement that.

I beg your pardon:
confirmed Anna Maria Koopman through Marli Corrie, Martin Hardy Ellis and Johannes Jacobus Nel.

Alright, I've updated Engeltje's section on mtDNA - Female Progenitors. Please check if everyone approves. If not, let me know what requires updating.

Showing 31-42 of 42 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion