Richard Wright, of the Plymouth Colony - Wright family corrections

Started by Erica Howton on Wednesday, June 29, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 19 posts
6/29/2016 at 10:56 AM

It seems the Wright arrivers to Massachusetts have been muddled together, not only recently, but by our early chroniclers (Savage, Pope, etc.).

This discussion is to attempt to UN muddle them. There is no known relationship between them, as far as I know.

Richard Wright, of the Plymouth Colony parents unknown married Hester Wright , daughter of Francis Cooke, "Mayflower" Passenger Hester Wright of the Anne & Little James therefore their children are Mayflower descendants (we can tag their profiles with those symbols), and should be trackable from Mayflower Society publications.

Their children did not include Elinor Clark, she has been relocated as daughter of Capt. Richard Wright & Margaret Wright

I am using http://www.conovergenealogy.com/famous-p/p70.htm#i3452 as a starting guideline to reconstructing this smerged up family.

Private User
6/30/2016 at 5:06 AM

Most articles I read on the Richard Wright, of Plymouth Colony and Hester Mahieu family, cite only six children were born by this couple.

In birth order; Adam Wright who married1) Sarah Soule and 2)Mehitible Barrows.
John Wright
Esther Wright who married Ephraim Tinkham
Issac Wright
Samuel Wright
and Mary Wright who married Hugh Price.
http://massandmoregenealogy.blogspot.com/2014/05/richard-wright-and...

We now have thirteen children attached.

http://www.plimoth.org/sites/default/files/media/pdf/cooke_francis.pdf

6/30/2016 at 3:02 PM

Thanks, Christopher. I moved some extra children over to Capt. Richard Wright but I'll go back to Mayflower descendant line next.

6/30/2016 at 5:13 PM

These children seem to come from an old GED file. I am detaching the ones supposedly born in the Plymouth Colony with this note in the overview:

===comments===

Claimed as child of Richard Wright, of the Plymouth Colony and Hester Wright, an assertion that seems to originate with an old garbled ancestral file (Ancestral File #: 8TG9-7V) from the IGI. See http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=bob%5... as example.

A published, sourced genealogy lists no such child to this couple.[1] The profile has therefore been detached. Please do not re attach.

-----
* 1. Robert S. Wakefield, "Richard Wright of Plymouth, MA" in The American Genealogist, vol 59 (1983), page 165

6/30/2016 at 5:27 PM

I'm adding them to the project https://www.geni.com/projects/Spurious-Pedigrees/10512 with a curator note:
Fictional profile (see notes). Do not connect back into the geni world tree.

Sadly, there are 45 smart matches to Lydia WRIGHT

6/30/2016 at 11:06 PM

In the NEHGR July 1945 page 233 " --- 1643-- In the first division of home lots, at Seekonk, Richard Wright has a 12-acre lot at the northwest end of the ring of the town. His three sons-in-law each had 8-acre lots. Robert Sharpe's adjoining Richard Wright's on the east; William Sabin's on the west; and James Clarke's adjoining William Sabin's [Rehoboth Town Meeting Records]." This William Sabin is my ancestor.

In "The Descendants of William Sabin of Rehoboth, Massachusetts" by Gordon Alice Morris, and Thomas J & Dixie Prittie (1994) page 10: "Richard Wright is acknowledged as the father-in-law of William Sabin in September 1654 when William Sabin of Rehoboth, hubandman, sold land to Anthony Perrey, of Rehoboth, which land he 'had bought, with other lands, of my father-in-law, Richard Wright.' This statement is contained in a statement from William Sabin to Anthony Perrey dated 2 September 1672."

Back to NEHGR, page 238: "Of course, the term 'father-in-law' might mean 'step father', for Richard Wright, who was about 19 years older than William Sabin, might have married the mother of Sabin. This doesn't seem very probable, but, of course, is possible."

Personally, I have gone with the interpretation that William Sabin married a daughter of Richard Wright. In "The Descendants of William Sabin" they have called her Mary; I have no idea where they found / got the name. NEHGR shows this daughter without a name.

I don't see William Sabin tied to Richard Wright.

7/1/2016 at 12:06 AM

These are the fictional profiles NOT to merge into any families, they are old IGI submittal garble:

Lydia WRIGHT

Mercy WRIGHT

Peter WRIGHT

Elizabeth WRIGHT

Sarah WRIGHT

7/1/2016 at 12:14 AM

Fred Mulholland I think I understand the Sabin / Wright connection, it's quite confusing, but makes sense eventually.

Mary Wright

Mary Bushe married Richard Sabin circa 1609. She married, before 1643, to Capt. Richard Wright of Rehoboth as his 3rd wife.

So Capt Richard Wright named William Sabin in his will.

"Capt. Richard Wright had no daughter Mary.  William Sabin did not marry the daughter he didn't have.

The confusion seems to have originated from this notation:

"Richard Wright of Lynn, Boston, Braintree & Seekonk, was born in England about 1598. He married January 8, 1625/6 Margaret ( .. ) Padding at St. Dunstan's, Stepney, Middlesex, England (2nd wife?); at the time he was of Ratcliffe-Carman of Middlesex. He came with the first fleet of Winthrop in 1630 with 3 or 4 daughters and Margaret Wright who may have been his mother.His sons-in-law were Robert Sharpe, William Sabin and James Clarke. Richard Wright along with these sons-in-law signed the Rehoboth Compact in 1644."

7/1/2016 at 12:21 AM

In other words:

"Back to NEHGR, page 238: "Of course, the term 'father-in-law' might mean 'step father', for Richard Wright, who was about 19 years older than William Sabin, might have married the mother of Sabin. This doesn't seem very probable, but, of course, is possible."

That is exactly what seems to have happened.

7/1/2016 at 12:36 AM

Linda Wellman sorry this took so long -- it got more involved than I had thought. BUT I think I've got the next generation sorted thanks to you and Private User

7/1/2016 at 9:54 AM

This turned into quite a project - thanks for tackling it, Erica!

7/1/2016 at 11:47 AM

There is a problem with having William Sabin’s mother marrying Richard Wright. In the TAG article of 1992 (vol 67 pgs 32-40) where Gale Iron Harris discusses the possibility that Richard Wright married William Sabin’s mother, there was a critical criteria she had to meet (page 37): “William Sabin’s first child was born about 1640; he probably was born about 1617 and married about 1639. His mother was probably born no later than 1599. Thus it exceeds no biological constraints for his mother to have had children by Wright as late as 1644, the approximate birth date of his youngest discovered child, Elizabeth, discussed below.” According to GENI’s profile for William Sabin’s mother, she was born in 1591 and had her son, William, in 1609. This would make her 53 when she had Richard Wright’s daughter, Elizabeth. This is extremely unlikely. The birth dates Gale Iron Harris estimated for William Sabin and his mother turned out to be off by 8 years. Throughout the article he always states the Richard Wright “may” have married William Sabin’s mother.

There is no question that William Sabin was Richard Wright’s son-in-law. The only question is whether William married a daughter of Richard Wright or whether Richard Wright married William’s mother. There is no evidence to support either alternative. Based on the age (53) of William’s mother when she would have had a daughter (Elizabeth) by Richard Wright, I believe William married a daughter of Richard Wright.

7/1/2016 at 12:20 PM

Yes, you are correct about the timeline.

Notes in the profile for unknown Sabin

From Steven Tim Kilburn.

>"In "The Great Migration Series" Richard Wright's bio mentions three daughters with first wife and three more with second wife. There is no Mary mentioned and none of the daughters are said to have married William Sabin. What Robert Anderson says about second wife: "(2) By about 1643 , possibly a widow Sabin, mother of William Sabin of Rehoboth [TAG 67:37]. So he relies on the Gale Ion Harris article you mentioned. I have Mary Bushe Sabin as William's mother.

>"In Torrey's "New England Marriages" William Sabin's entry goes," Sabin, William(-1687) and 1st wife_____[Wright] (-1660); by 1640? Rehoboth" with 11 references. [ ] for Torrey means he has found a reliable source that identified the brides maiden surname with a great deal of confidence.

>"Second wife is said to be Martha Allens or Allen who married second Richard Bowen. In Charles Pope's Poineers of Massachusetts" the entry for William Sabin has no name for his first wife. Second wife is Martha Allen.

>"The wife of William Sabin was born in England as was William. Their marriage was most likely in England as Pope does not have William in this country until 1643. I don't have the date or place of birth of their first child Samuel. I do have the date and place of birth of their second child, Elizabeth born 1643 in Rehoboth

>"In conclusion it seems to me William Sabin did not marry a daughter of Richard Wright. He, based on Torrey, could have married a daughter of another Wright. There are 14 mentioned in Pope's work that came to Mass."

7/1/2016 at 7:27 PM

There were supposedly 5 daughters of Richard Wright of Rehoboth:

1. Elinore, also called Elizabeth. Married James Wright of Boston
2. Abigail, married 1) Richard Sharpe 2) Thomas Clapp 3) William Holbrook

They deposed they came with their father (no mother or step mother mentioned) in 1632.

There are three more daughters attributed to him by a later wife, who seem to have been born in America by their estimated birth dates in the early 1640's (don't know if this is accurate)

Sarah, married Sarah Wright
Elizabeth, married (unknown) Paddon
(probably) Ann, married Thomas Burnham ?

It seems, then, that Richard Wright married 3rd to Mary Bushe, widow Sabin, who was the mother of William Sabin. That would explain the phrasing "son in law."

It seems that the first name of William Sabin's wife is not known, and her maiden name is given as "Wright" with confidence. But it's a common enough surname (or we wouldn't be having this difficulty). I don't know that there's evidence that she was of this Wright family; if I were speculating, I would place her, by age, as a daughter of one of Richard Wright's earlier wives, who took his surname. That would make for a tight kinship relationship (step daughter marrying step son) that is a pattern we see in this time and place.

But I don't want to speculate out of turn, and the evidence does seem to "not" support a daughter Mary for him.

7/3/2016 at 9:18 PM

The book "The Descendants of William Sabin of Rehoboth, Massachusetts" was put together by a loose association of Sabin family genealogist in 1994. On pages 2 and 3 we find: "William Sabin was born in Titchfield, Hampshire, England. His baptism is recorded in St. Peter's Parish, Titchfield, England : 'Oct 1609 bapt. William Sabin, the XI daye'. The parents of William are not listed in the baptismal record as was the custom of the time. It is believed that William was the son of
Richard Sabin and Mary (Bushe) Sabin who were married 29 October 1608. Richard was buried 1 June 1641 and Mary was buried 14 October 1644 (Extracts from the Parish Registers of St. Peter, Titchfield)"

Further down on page 3 it states "It would appear that William Sabin arrived in America with his wife Mary Wright (According to the IGI, a Mary Wright was born about 1620 in Kirk Deighton, North Riding Yorkshire to Richard Wright). William and Mary were married about 1639."

The burial record in England makes it less likely that Mary (Bushe) Sabin married Richard Wright in Massachusetts. Presuming William married in England explains why she wasn't one of the 3 daughters that came with Richard Wright to America. I know the IGI is not the "best" source, but it provides a reasonable hypothesis.

Again, I believe Wiliam Sabin married a daughter of Richard Wright and that Richard Wright did not marry William Sabin's mother.

7/3/2016 at 11:38 PM

It appears certain that the surname of William Sabin's wife was Wright according to Torrey (and the IGI).

We have the deposition of two daughters of Richard Wright that they came "with their father" (therefore, no mother at that time, about 1630) to America. There was also a Margaret Wright, said to have been Richard Wright's mother.

There is not a known daughter Mary of Richard Wright by any of his (apparently three?) wives.

Nor was he known to have been of Yorkshire.

I'm not following how the burial record makes it less likely Richard Wright & Mary Bushe, widow Sabin, didn't marry in Massachusetts?
There is

7/3/2016 at 11:40 PM

Ah ---

"Richard Sabin and Mary (Bushe) Sabin who were married 29 October 1608. Richard was buried 1 June 1641 and Mary was buried 14 October 1644 (Extracts from the Parish Registers of St. Peter, Titchfield)"

I missed that on first read.

Very cool. That does blow a lid on "Richard Wright married widow Sabin.".

Whoa.

7/3/2016 at 11:49 PM

When did William Sabin & Mary his wife come to America? And where was Mary in 1630? She would have been 10, her father widowed, the younger girls with him & his mother or sister (to watch the children?).

Conover Cousins has:

"Richard Wrights first daughter Mary probably remained in England with relatives ane married William Sabin c 1639. ..."

7/4/2016 at 12:22 AM

Well Fred Mulholland I have to say I'm a little tickled to be contradicting the Great Migration project, but maybe we can pull it off.

What sort of documents can we get about this?

Showing all 19 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion