Started by Mike Stangel on Thursday, June 30, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 1386 posts

Here's another issue I noticed:

On my Home feed it stated:
Patricia Krengel (Bergquist) added her DNA.

Nope, she does not have an account on Geni. I uploaded the DNA.

I uploaded my mother's mtDNA test, which propagated to me, as expected. On my DNA page, though, it shows no matches and says that I have not uploaded my mtDNA. Mom doesn't have any mtDNA matches yet, so that's OK, but shouldn't it say something about having "inherited" mtDNA, rather than I haven't uploaded it for myself?

Do not know what the three new items at the bottom of the Privacy Page are saying - that is, what they mean and what the implications are -- so unchecked all three below the chart, as well as changing the two new ones on the chart to Private.

What does "Propagate my DNA results to other profiles in my family tree" actually mean??

What does "Name on Propagated DNA" mean?

Checked on definition of "propagate" -- "breed specimens of (a plant, animal, etc.) by natural processes from the parent stock." -- not helpful. What is Geni talking about??

As a plant nursery person :) the computer term propagate makes sense to me. Many botanical terms are used in technology, I find it quite amusing :)
It means that the dna results will be displayed on the profiles that are attached to you.

Private User - as an example -- my mother tested her mtDNA and that propagated to me and my sisters and up her female line.

Further, my son and his 4th cousin tested their Y-DNA and that propagated up to their male line Blejer / Blecher ancestors and then down to the male Blecher / Blejer descendants of those ancestors.

Autosomal DNA would not propogate since it's recombinant. Correct me someone if I err in any way with this last statement.

That looks right Hatte Rubenstein Blejer I only have AT and it requires my mother to test to confirm relationship :)

Feeling a little on the sidelines with all this DNA talk as I have absolutely no DNA connections on Geni and on Family tree DNA it's almost impossible to see where connections may be, so I'm starting to e-mail all my possible connections FTDNA to suggest they may wish to try out Geni! Meanwhile I have a question -
When a historic person's DNA has been tested, for example Richard III recently found in a Leicester car park, what is the likelyhood of that eventually becoming available on Geni?

Hatte Rubenstein Blejer - so what does the Privacy Page mean when, under "Use the checkboxes below to specify who can see your profile information" it has "Name on Propagated DNA" --
what would be being made Public if I checked under 'Public' instead of 'Private' ??

I attempted to upload my raw data from AncestryDNA. I didn't receive any kind of confirmation that the data actually transferred. Is there an approximate turnaround time?

Let's talk about a possible example to explain the "Name on Propagated DNA" settings.

For example, I've tested with mtDNA. This comes from your maternal direct line (mother to mother). If I enable "Propagate my DNA results to other profiles in my family tree" then the mtDNA haplogroup from my test will show up in each of my direct maternal line profiles up to 10 generations from me.

Now Geni would like to show other users where that result comes from on those other profiles. If "Name on Propagated DNA" is set to public, anyone can see that result came from my test. If it is set to private, only my family group will be able to see that the result came from my test.

I already see incorrect matches appearing on some Swiss Amish/Mennonite results where you are promoting Jewish based matches with individuals. Flat out wrong! :-) In looking at a number of the other "matches" I see no potential for overlap yet you are somehow defining them as potentially genealogically relevant. You will need to provide some detail on how you are establishing matches and filtering out false positives.

I put in yDNA results for two cousins . One was a Genographic derived haplogroup and the other comes from FTDNA Full-Y sequencing. Back up the paternal ancestral line but results are showing. I would prefer that only the more refined haplogroup from the Big-Y result be present. So this raises several questions.
How do you filter yDNA or mtDNA information back to a tree to determine if they represent the same family line? In my case note that there are two Kuhns/Koontz lineages under haplogroup U106. The refined haplogroup under U106 will show they are unrelated in the last 3400 years. Are you using the ISOGG y-tree as a reference for determining whether to flag different yDNA results are not being equal? How are you doing this?

Will the system be able to prevent links, or allow non-owners to break existing links, based upon DNA results at some specified level of resolution?

You have locations in the current tree where DNA haplogroup results will show that incorrect associations are present. I know of several right now once I get other results posted. Since most of the profile links are unresponsive or not the original owner how will one be able to correct the erroneous links based up on the DNA results and then prohibit bad links from occurring in the future? This would include links to bad information from other sites such as myHeritage.

Hi Katherine Akulicz, when I uploaded from ancestry it showed at the very bottom of the dna page that dna information had been uploaded.
Leanne

Elroy Wayne Kauffman, II -- my suggestion is to either post here with a link to the problem or write Customer Service so they can look into it. There have already been some problems involving Geni members unloading their DNA results to the wrong profile, which is what your issue sounds like.

Mike Stangel may be able to answer your detailed questions.

Katherine Akulicz the autosomal uploads will take us a few weeks, at least, before we're able to integrate the data into our matching and, eventually, other features as well.

Private User if you set "Name on Propagated DNA" to private, it means that as your mitochondrial (and for males, Y-DNA) is "propagated" up and down the tree, your name goes with it. If it's private, then only people in your family group will see your name and a link to your profile. Everyone else will see "Private User" and no link.

Elroy Wayne Kauffman, II the haplogroup is for informational and project-grouping only. The DNA results are matched based on the actual markers / mutations.

I am very excited about the ne DNA feature!!! Great job! I uploaded my original 23andMe RAW Data zip and it seemed to "take". The tab showed I had uploaded and it was being processed. When I posted the bit about the new DNA feature on Fb and encouraged numerous cousins to upload theirs to their geni profile, too... I heard that many of them received matches within a few minutes even... latest within an hour or so... So, I checked back in my DNA tab... the notice that my raw data upload which previously, was being "processed" was gone... and it prompted me to upload my data, as if I hadn't done this yet.... (?)
I did... again... but the upload your data link was still there... and so, I did it again... still there, so, I tried the text version of my raw data instead of the zip version... still, "you haven't uploaded any DNA results, upload your data."

#Help
What has gone wrong, on my tab, that seems to be working for other cousins of mine, who upload after, I did...?

xoxoxoTheresa Renée

Hi Mike Stangel,
I received notification today that one of my family had uploaded their dna and it had populated their ancestors etc. Absolutely awesome.
So I clicked on the list of all the people it had populated - I think it is called "Mitochondrial DNA Relatives".

This gives a list of all the people that it populated - again absolutely awesome.

I was wondering if the developers could put on a wish list - the addition of 2 more items under the actions column - Follow/Unfollow and View Profile

Thanks Leanne

Theresa Renée Eléna Tossas-Cox this does appear to be a bug. I'll investigate.

Leanne M (Volunteer Curator - Australia) 🇦🇺 good suggestion, we'll see if we can fit those in.

Theresa Renée Eléna Tossas-Cox - fixed. Thanks for calling this to our attention!

Mike Stangel Can you be more specific about what markers/mutations provide the basis for a match? For when there is a low resolution and a high resolution haplogroup assigned to the same maternal or paternal line shouldn't the higher resolution one override and hide the lower resolution result? If you don't do that then you will confuse all of the individuals who do not understand the haplotree and corresponding haplogroup assignment. The mixture of lower and higher resolution hpalogroups is shown at Harry Raifsnider Kuhns

Right now for my grandfather the label shows for conflicting y-DNA evidence. Fred Sylvanus Kauffman that is good in that it shows the problem with two specific immigrants I'm trying to get unattached from the wrong trees. It's bad in that I don't see what the other haplogroup is. The haplogroup designation for the other kauffman lineage should be R-Z36 but all I see is "Y"

What phylotree version is being used to set the mtDNA haplogroup? My mtDNA results are designated as H which is out of date even for data from FTDNA. Especially for mtDNA result make sure you note which release the result is referring to. FTDNA is way behind the times in their notation and it would be a bad assumption that all sources use the same reference all the time.

Thank you Mike Stangel !!!!!!!

Really really really excited now! Glad I could help!!! U Rock!!!
xoxoxoTheresa Renée

Elroy Wayne Kauffman, II the mt haplogroup is transferred to us by FTDNA. If they're showing a different haplogroup when you log into their site, then we may need to check into why they're different.

It's taking quite a while still.. so, I thought, I would follow suit with some the other thread geni users and retract my DNA and re-upload it.

Now, it still seems to be "processing", what must have been retracted (gone) and I can't re-upload... feel, I may have landed in limbo with my raw data... here. 🙁
As they say in Germany, "Alle Anfang ist schwer." = "All beginnings are hard."

It might also, be useful to mention that I am on an iPad Air and using two browsers... (So the cache isn't a hinderance...) Opera Coast and Safari.

Theresa Renée Eléna Tossas-Cox the uploaded autosomal files won't be processed right away... we're still working on the tools to process those.

I have 3 AT matches

Oh, 'cause I have other cousins already getting at matches... odd.

I had a cousin tested at Sorenson and had hand input the data to Y-Search and Mitosearch and he shows a conflict with my results, probably comparing his 48-ish Y markers to my 111. I see:

R-Y2630 from Y-111 view conflict
Differs by 69 markers

So I guess it is not comparing just the tested/entered markers.

Showing 31-60 of 1386 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion