DNA Integration Superthread

Started by Mike Stangel on Thursday, June 30, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-120 of 1386 posts

Private User you managed to surface two bugs in one! We're working on it...

Magnus Eriksson thank you for suggesting a sortable column on match date -- we'll work on that.

At this time we're not in a position to do X-chromosome matching.

You don't really need to filter out mitochondrial matches with genetic distance 1, because the mitochondrial matches are sorted by quality by default, and a genetic distance of 1 across all three regions will be listed before a genetic distance of 1 when only 1 or 2 regions are comparable. In other words, just start at the top of the list and stop looking once you feel the quality is not sufficient to merit digging into the match.

I'd like to look at your non-match to the other R-S7759 profile... would you send me a link? (by private inbox message if you prefer)

Private User we'll look into altering the UI to allow you to link FTDNA and/or upload raw autosomal data for deceased persons. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Harvey Morris Kabaker yes, right now we are over-matching on Ashkenazi DNA. We're working on a solution.

Private User regarding the lack of deletion confirmation, were you deleting autosomal data that had been uploaded to a profile other than your own? If so, we've released a fix for that.

About re-uploading: yes, it looks like we need to fix a bug there. I'll look into it.

Sounds Like we owe Mike Stangel a Huge cup of cofee or at least a can of earth frendly bug repellent... Keep up the good work...

Hah.. yes as of today I'm past all the hair-on-fire issues and have had time to review this discussion thread, at least. Thanks everyone for your excellent suggestions, I've made notes of everything posted here and we will address them as we are able to do so.

Mountain Dew on me Mike and give yourself a pat on the back.

[[Mike Stangel]] always goes beyond the call of duty. He's our hero, for those of you who don't know about him. He's awesome technically, super responsive, works overtime, and is the GM of Geni.

I owe him a beer or three at Tony's.

My first DNA match on Geni:
Relationship: 11th cousin twice removed
Match Quality: 2nd Cousin Twice Removed
Overlap: 24 cM
Longest segment: 10 cM

Customer service, thanks for the response. I am referring to my autosomal DNA raw data upload from ancestry.com. I see the full mtdna that I transferred from mftdna. You state you received it and it's processing. My question was how should I expect this to take. Mr Stangel said on the thread it could take awhile...? Thanks I would love an update!

Christina Marie Bennion it will be several weeks, at least. Sorry for the aggravation!

Private User we need to do some more work on the Match Quality relationship prediction. If you look at that help info by hovering over the (?) next to the match quality text, you can see that the Total Overlap range for 2nd Cousin Twice Removed is so large that it's subsuming the more-distant predicted relationships. We'll fix it.

Thanks Mike Stangel

Mike Stangel, thankyou for encouraging response.

You wrote:
>You don't really need to filter out mitochondrial matches with genetic
>distance 1, because the mitochondrial matches are sorted by quality by
>default...

I get that point. However, I still think your MtDNA distance scale is way too course, and misleading. Why not base the distance measure on HVR1+HVR2+coding regions instead of only HVR1? Or present both distance measures? MtDNA mutations occur every 2000 year along one line, so my suggestion implies that distance 1 may sometimes be in historical time, while in the current system, distance 0 may sometimes imply a paleolithic nearest ancestor.

>I'd like to look at your non-match to the other R-S7759 profile... would
>you send me a link? (by private inbox message if you prefer)

Great. This guy also belongs to R-S7759, but is a non-match with me: Yngve Löfstrand
Do you need more details?

So far I have 5 matches, AT all at 2nd cousin twice removed which I doubt is that close.

Hard to say though, or assist these people as the trees are iether non existent or private.

Personally I have not achieved any benifit yet, only because I fear people do not understand the basic principals of "collaborative world family tree".

Hi Mike Stangel, you mentioned that you are overmatching on Ashkenazi DNA, are you also overmatching on Sephardi DNA? Thanks Leanne (Still trying to get my head around DNA)

It would be nice if they didn't just say Y and/or mt but indicated which level - there is a big difference between someone's having taken Y-DNA12 or Y-DNA111 (or various ones in between) -- and similarly for mtDNA - between HVR1 or HVR1+HVR2 or Full Sequence.

To the best of my knowledge, for at there is just one level so that is fine -- tho apparently what is actually tested varies from company to company and between versions - so possibly more info is would be helpful even there.

In DNA Test Terms of Usage, it talks about a Geni DNA Research Project and says
"How can I take part in the Project?
To participate in this research project, you must review this Notice and if you choose to participate, click on both of the following links:"

BUT - there are no links after that statement, in that section, nor anywhere near there. So - is the Project not up and going? Or -are you now enrolled in it willy-nilly without this extra step? Or??

"You may unlink your account from Family Tree DNA on the Application Settings page."
Once the info is uploaded --
-- What does unlinking the accounts do? And/or alternatively -- What does leaving them linked do?

Magnus Eriksson I can't assign a different genetic distance based on which mitochondrial regions were compared, because it's literally the number of mutations that differ. If you and I were both only tested for HVR1 and are results are identical, that's a genetic distance of 0 but we assign it a lower quality score than if more regions (HVR2, coding) are compared. We are still struggling with trying to tease out good information from the great-many mitochondrial matches that are surfacing... I saw one user with over 165,000 mitochondrial matches!

According to the data we have, that other R-S7759 user differs from you by 10 STRs out of 37 that can be compared, which is why he's not surfacing as a match. Unfortunately this looks like a case where the STR and SNP results diverge wildly.

Leanne M (Volunteer Curator - Australia) 🇦🇺 the overmatching on Ashkenazi DNA is the result of endogamy, as explained here: http://isogg.org/wiki/Endogamy As far as I know this is not as problematic to genetic genealogy for Sephardic Jews.

Hi Michael, the Baghdad Jews also inter-married significantly so might be an issue for that cross-section of Sephardi Jews.

Private User the matches pages give the level of detail you're asking for: on the Y-DNA matches page, we list the genetic distance and how many markers can be compared. Similarly, our mitochondrial matches page lists the genetic distance and which regions can be compared. And the autosomal matches page lists the overlap and longest segment (both in centiMorgans)

At this time the DNA Research Project is only for uploaded raw autosomal files, not FTDNA transfers. It's the second checkbox at the bottom of https://www.geni.com/dna-tests/upload_autosomal

Linking your account is what gives FTDNA permission to access your profile in order to transfer your DNA data. If you unlink your account (i.e. de-authorize the FTDNA Connector app) then they will not be able to push us any updates (if any) to your DNA test results. Leaving it linked allows them to update us if you take additional tests or if they re-interpret the tests you've already taken.

Thanks Leanne - we're working with FTDNA to try to account for this.

Mike - much thanks for your answers!!

is there any order to how the names/Matches appear - and is there any way to search?

Because - Please note:
1) the same folks often appear on more than one page
2) a known relative uploaded DNA today before I uploaded mine - might not have made the close relative cut, but definitely should have made the cut for a Match based not just on relationship but also on what FTDNA has been showing us - and I paged thru all the matches without spotting.

So, at the moment, not impressed.

On what basis is Geni sending out e-mails announcing matches - also - what information is included in the e-mails --

So far several folks are telling me they got such e-mails today, but I have not seen any reciprocal ones to me -- is my e-mail just slow on delivering or is it only sent to one of the pair - and if so, why?? Or would this have to do with my settings vs theirs in Notifications - and if this is the case, which setting are we talking about?

Not seeing the DNA tab tonight.

Private User I noticed some duplicates yesterday; we're cleaning them up right now, though I'm not sure we've fixed what's causing them. We're still tracking that problem.

If you want to send me a link to your known relative (private Inbox message if you prefer), I'll see whether or not he/she should have surfaced as a match, or why not.

We're changing the email notifications to create a weekly DNA match digest; some users have too many matches for us to be sending out an email for every single one.

Showing 91-120 of 1386 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion