Katherine Durrett (Goodloe) - Tree Conflict

Started by Private User on Friday, October 14, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 13 posts
Private User
10/14/2016 at 8:45 AM

I'm starting a discussion due to a query by Betty Nelson McDougald. We have a lot of conflicting ancestry in this area that needs to be figured out.

Questions - please present any info / research you have that can clarify the conflicts.
* Katherine Durrett, daughter of Rev. Henry Goodloe & Elizabeth Goodloe or Rev. Henry Goodloe & Elizabeth Spencer?
** I think the two Henry's are listed as Uncle / Nephew, descendants of Thomas Goodloe, III
* Elizabeth Weekes, daughter of Abraham Weeks, Gent. & Millicent Weekes or Francis Weekes of Oyster Bay & Elizabeth Weeks
* John Durrett (husband of Katherine Durrett), son of William Durrett & Anne Higgins or Bartholomew Durrett & Mary Durrett (some trees I see him listed as grandson)
** Did John have a first wife Mary and how many children?

This will be a place to start - sigh..

Private User
10/14/2016 at 3:56 PM

Let me also tag the Curator on several of these profiles: Erica Howton

10/14/2016 at 5:08 PM

I have:
John Durrett and James Wigglesworth and Mary Wigglesworth sold 340 acres at Spotsylvania Co, VA, to Andrew Larew on 5 June 1769. The deed was witnessed by James Chiles and Mary Long. This was part of the patent to John Durrett who signed with an X. He and James Wigglesworth and James' wife Mary lived in St. George Parish in Spotsylvania County. (Spotsylvania Deeds Book G, p 266).

10/14/2016 at 5:10 PM

Did you receive the 5 page article titled "Durettes in England"? I tried to attach it to the message I just sent.

Private User
10/17/2016 at 6:05 AM

I did not receive the article. You may be able to attach it as a document to one of the profiles or perhaps just upload it. https://www.geni.com/documents

10/17/2016 at 7:47 AM

I sent the article to the link you sent. I'm sorry, but I cannot understand the article any more. Maybe it will be helpful. I may have more "stuff", but I cannot research for any length of time.

6/1/2017 at 11:40 PM

Hello all! I am a Durrett as well. The Bartholomew thing is driving me crazy. Too many dates. About the being married twice....I've seen some sites that only list Mary Van Hook (married in 1740) and one that listed an Elizabeth Chewing (married in 1755). I know his mother's name is Elizabeth as well, but I do not know her maiden name. Too much wrong information gets put it in and it becomes a nightmare trying to straighten it out. Shows men as being married to their mothers or has them with a birth date before their mother was even born. Good luck!

6/2/2017 at 7:10 AM

https://books.google.com/books?id=s2lPAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA445&lpg...

let me know if this link works, but its an excerpt from a book.

Private User
6/2/2017 at 1:19 PM

I can read it, but not sure it clarifies any of the above.

6/2/2017 at 3:09 PM

Jeff, I don't know if this helps but.... I found a John Durrett (1716-1775) was married to a Mary & a Katherine....i have him as the son of Bartholomew & Mary Van Hook. I have John William (1675-1743) who was married to Elizabeth Tyce as Bartholomew's parents. And as screwed up as I have been finding everything, I believe Paul Lorraine De Durrett (who i believe is also Paul Parrian de Durrett) is the father of John William Durrett, Bartholomew's grandfather. I am not finding an Anne...I mean I see where people have written an Anne down as a wife, but i'm not finding anything on her, just Mary.

Private User
6/2/2017 at 7:25 PM

Looking at Paul Parrian de Durrett & Antonia de Durrett, I see they have a son John Durrett supposedly married to Katherine Durrett, so that makes a possible 3rd set of parents for John Durrett.

However, we do have this note in that John Durret's profile "FAMILY NOTES: Marriage: Many have looked at published records and assumed this John DURRETT married Catharine Goodloe, born 01 May 1720, (National Society of Colonial Dames of America. Virginia , Parish Register of Christ Church, Middlesex Co., VA.,--- Richmond , 1897, -p. 105) however, the records regarding land patents and deeds show that this John had a wife Mary before and after 25 Nov 1748, the date of the will of Henry Goodloe in which he mentioned daughter Catherine (Katharine), wife of John Durrett.(William Armstrong Crozier, Spotsylvania Co., 1721-1800 pg. 9)"

6/3/2017 at 12:30 PM

I went back to an email my uncle sent me. I am waiting on my hand written family tree to be mailed to me. It was made in the 1920s i believe and goes back to like 1066. Lost my copy when i moved, so my uncle is mailing me another one. It's 127 pages so he couldn't email it. I can email you what I do have on Bartholomew...don't know if it's ever been put on the internet or not, it was from 1999....
It shows Bartholomew was born in 1716 which makes me wonder if his brother John (b. 1716) was a twin...otherwise, not possible. He had 6 children: Thomas, Dorothy, Joel, William (which is my line), Mary & Francis. It lists their wives and children as well. Happy to email it to you if you'd like.

6/6/2017 at 6:06 PM

I also found information on a Reuben Durrett who settled in Henry County. I've read that way back when Henry County was a part of Virginia, then became a part of Kentucky. That is where Reuben settled. Reuben is the great grandson of Bartholomew. Reuben built the first brick house in Henry County and it still stands. He also started The Filson Historical Society, which is still in existence. Reuben was a huge historical collector of everything Kentucky. He had the largest library of Kentucky history. I contacted The Filson Historical Society and asked if Reuben had anything like a family tree. Anything that can give us information on Bartholomew. This is the link where they replied. I hope there is something in there that is of help.
https://filsonhistorical.org/wp-content/uploads/Genealogy_of_Durret...

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion