Yehuda Leib Vilner, [s#6 Gaon of Vilna] - portrait of Vilna Gaon?

Started by Randy Schoenberg on Friday, December 23, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
12/23/2016 at 7:49 AM

Is this a portrait of Yehuda Leib or his father?

12/23/2016 at 7:56 AM

Randy Schoenberg,

That's the portrait of Eliyahu, "Gaon of Vilna" and not Rabbi Yehuda Leib Vilner, ch. #6 GRA.

It is the photo used on the front cover of Chaim Freedman's book "Eliyahu's Branches: The Descendants of the Vilna Gaon and His Family."

12/23/2016 at 7:58 AM

Untagged from the son.

12/23/2016 at 8:05 AM

Thanks.

12/23/2016 at 8:13 AM

The best book of the Gaon's tree is "Ellyahu's Branches"

12/23/2016 at 9:49 AM

Laurie Janov Williams,

That's what I'm currently working on adding to Geni. I'm about 35% of the way thru the family tree. Working thru the descendants of the 6th child Rabbi Yehuda Leib Vilner, ch. #6 GRA.

Private User
12/24/2016 at 7:59 AM

Kevin. By extracting names from Eliyahu's Branches and inserting them in Geni you may be breaching the copyright held by the publisher Avotaynu.

Furthermore, the book was published nineteen years agp since when I have collected updates which require addition, deletions and amendments which I hope one day to incorporate in my database which hopefully may be made availbale on the internet in such a way that it cannot be tampered with.

12/24/2016 at 9:01 AM

Chaim,

I know that it was published that long ago. I'm not making any changes to what's online. If there's anything that needs to be deleted, just let me know and I will remove the connection or even delete it.

One question that I do have for you, is Marlene Silverman a descendant of the Vilna Gaon? She seems to say no.

Kevin

12/25/2016 at 11:04 AM

When I got the book, my family had already established the first line about 150 years ago via family oral history. The book added clarification and credence of said history. I was then able to go to ancestry.com and start the LONG line back. I am on the Menkin line. Actually the 'Branches' provided me more with cousins which has been wonderful.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion