Started by Private User on Sunday, January 1, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 14 posts
Map of the county Buren, Atlas Maior 1665 © Wikimedia Commons, PDM
Private User
1/1/2017 at 11:05 AM

https://www.geni.com/photo/view?album_type=project&photo_id=600...
^ Take a gander^

As you can see, I've made some progress with the analysis. Along the way I've added some additional nodes... Country of origin, and a personal one for the van Beurens ... that I may take out if it makes everything too busy.
This graphic is best experienced through the link I've provided with the photo.

My thought is that this looks incredibly messy. But, once any user starts moving the cursor around the nodes, it starts to make sense.

I've found this to be a valuable tool to add baptisms to the New Amsterdam Baptisms project.... I'm getting ever more familiar with many more immigrant families. While researching this project I've gotten to recogniize and add many baptisms and marriages in those projects...

There are now only 15 signers for whom I have not made much progress. Things are slowing down now.

The addition of the Castello Plan node has stimulated discovery of lots of facts about the signers. I'm even beginning to feel as if I morphed my way back to New Amsterdam and can take a stroll up Heere Straat at will, saying hello to my ancestors... ;) It's great becoming delusional :)

regards,
Mike

Alex Moes
Erica Howton

One more thing I should mention... I've back-linked each profile most profiles on the graph commons chart to geni... This allows me to pull up a geni profile without having to leave the graphcommons platform... That feature has saved me many hours of keyboard time...

Happy New Year!

1/1/2017 at 5:15 PM

Looks impressive!

1/1/2017 at 6:14 PM

It is totally fun to play with it on the platform

https://graphcommons.com/graphs/9caebf55-e107-4cf4-9c43-d8741cfd6d9...

Harald Tveit Alvestrand come see!

1/1/2017 at 6:31 PM

Dan Cornett see what you've caused? :)

Private User
1/2/2017 at 3:57 AM

Erica: I will not confess how many hours it took me to put this together. (I built the graph one connection at a time) :-( But, as I said above, I learned a lot along the way.

I've not been well recently. Not being able to go out has provided extra hours to be obsessive-compulsive.

I look forward to the day that we can highlight geni profile fields and then export them in spread-sheet form to a platform like GraphCommons...
A problem is that field data can be incomplete, variable, and/or corrupt. In those cases you have to go back and edit... (very time consuming!) This graph includes fewer than 100 individuals too...

> on the blood lines genetic or by marriage, I have yet to envision a way to capture that data ... but I'm sure you tech-ies out there do...

ttfn,
MvB

1/3/2017 at 9:39 AM

re: exporting

Yes, the GraphCommons import has to be rather 'clean'.

What I've done to help when I import data is to make a '2nd sheet' (on the spreadsheet) which pulls out just the 'clean' columns of data in a form GraphCommons is happy with. I found that makes it simpler to update the "master data" page and do the import to GraphCommons from the 'clean' page.

1/3/2017 at 9:42 AM

Suggestion: Use the "Force Atlas 2" (rather than "Force Directed" (option on the "play" button) ... I think that shows groupings much more clearly!

1/3/2017 at 9:46 AM

I note you have multiple "emigrated from" edges between a country and one person (for a few of the people). Unless there is a specific reason, I think it'd be clearer to collapse them to one 'edge'.

Private User
1/4/2017 at 8:59 AM

Dan:

These edges propagate by themselves. It seems to be a programming flaw. I delete them but they show up again & again & again...

I emailed a query to Graph Commons. They have not answered... It has been days... ;(

"pleurez, pleurez mes yeux, et fondez-vous en eau"

Private User
1/4/2017 at 9:11 AM

Dan:
That suggestion about using Force Atlas 2 was right on the mark.
The only problem is that it obscures the list of individuals from whom I still have notcross referenced GENI profiles.

Can you now point me to a page that help me understand how to import a spreadsheet from geni to graphcommons? Or, does this as yet not exist.....

How powerful a technique that would be!

Thanks for your help Dan Cornett

BTW: I think I may have a very similar guitar... your photo resembles a 1950s era Martin..
:)
~• Mike

Private User
1/4/2017 at 9:13 AM
Private User
1/4/2017 at 9:24 AM

Dan Cornett :

I'd like to add you as a collaborator on this graph. If you wish, please send me the name/email you use on graphcommons so I can send you an invite..
~•regards,
Mike

Private User
1/4/2017 at 10:03 AM

Alex Moes and Erica:

I just had to laugh...
Getting down to the final few who still needed identification, I was stumbling and sputtering over Jacob Huyck who signed his name Jacob Hugens.... I wasn't making any headway... Then I found it: Come to figure out: Jacob is the grandson of Peter Minuet (!)

I bet Peter M. would have been rolling over in his watery grave, to hear that his grandson had thrown in the towel on defending old Manatoes Island... ;)

~• Mike

8/11/2017 at 11:44 PM

I updated Edges-Social with a couple curators I've met this summer.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vkLU5RV8goNCDoXzOdfPQv-wVYN...

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion