Christopher Roop - Middletown NJ Christ Church

Started by Claire Fuller on Sunday, June 4, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts
6/4/2017 at 11:46 AM

I found Benjamin Wilson and Christopher Roop as recipients to a magazine/hymnal subscription for members around1823(?) may be earlier, to Christ's church of Middletown. I figured it was Elizabeth's father. Previously during the Revolutionary war there was a division in the local Baptist church due to the local civil war between the Patriots and the Loyalists. I think the Wilsons and the Roops had both in their family. (Richard Wilson Ben's brother and the Canadian Roops). Many of the Monmouth County citizens who left for being loyalist went to Canada because of ill feelings against them after the war.
PS Newark/Elizabeth is the closest big city in the colonial days to Middletown, in Monmouth Co. NJ.

Private User
6/5/2017 at 3:12 PM

Indeed, Claire ! There is quite a line of Roops who became Loyalist Refugees, leaving NYC in 1783. SOme cam back some stayed in Canada.
Deacon John Roop
+
Susannah Van Buren whose son
John Milton Van Buren emigrated to Chile. There's quite a big tree that descends from him here on GENi.

Private User
6/5/2017 at 3:23 PM

The enmity between Loyalist and Patriot was fully justified: Each killed and plundered their very neighbors.
I've added references at Susannah Roop's father-in-law's near relative Dr. James van Beuren

I highly recommend the book: The Revolutionary War in the Hackensack Valley: Sub titled: "The Jersey Dutch and the Neutral Ground" written by Adrian Coulter Leiby, 1962
perfect for genealogists!
No Roops in the book but many other lines... It's a shame that recent German immigrants get so little coverage in Rev. War histories...
https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000030577203906&

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion