Niketti Totopotomoi - "The Cabell's and Their Kin"

Started by Private User on Tuesday, July 11, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 77 posts
Private User
7/11/2017 at 5:49 PM

"Opechancanough, the celebrated chief of the Powhatans, who was brutally murdered, while a prisoner, in 1644, left a lovely young daughter, the child of his old age, the Princess Niketti —' she sweeps the dew from the flowers.' Some years after this graceful Indian maiden had reached the years of mature womanhood, a member [the name is not given) of one of the old Cavalier families of Virginia 'fell in love with her and she with him,'and the result was a clandestine marriage, and a half-breed Indian girl who married about the year 1680 a Welshman (others say a native of Devonshire, England,) named Nathaniel Davis, an Indian trader, and, according to some accounts, a Quaker; and from this alliance many notable people in the East and in the West have descended. Their daughter, Mary Davis (born about 1685), married Samuel Burks of Hanover (the ancestorsof the Burks family of Virginia), and their daughter, Elizabeth Burks, married Capt. William Cabell, the ancestor of the Cabells; Martha Davis, another daughter, married Abraham Venable, the ancestor of the Venables. Robert Davis, Sr., a son (the ancestor of 'the black Davises' of Kentucky, and from whom Jefferson Davis descended), had a daughter, Abadiah (or Abigail) Davis, who married William Floyd, the ancestor of the Floyds of Virginia and of the West. A daughter, or granddaughter, of the Quaker, married Gen'l Evan Shelby of Maryland, the ancestor of the Shelbys of the West. Samuel and Philip Davis of the Blue Mountains were sons, and there may have been other sons and daughters.

7/13/2017 at 9:09 PM

Nicketti Nicketti Hughes, Person of legend take a look. We have some other Nicketti's on geni also. She's controversial. So far I like your tree placement

7/13/2017 at 9:16 PM

Tagging Lloyd Alfred Doss, Jr. because we're going to WV on this one. Riana is building on what we've just figured out / documented about her brother & who he wasn't.

Private User
7/13/2017 at 9:20 PM

WV?

7/13/2017 at 10:02 PM

Lloyd's one of my "go to" guys for West Virginia genealogy.

7/13/2017 at 10:24 PM

Trader ... Hughes - profile notes looks like a smash-up of different people.

I would be good to separate.

7/16/2017 at 5:01 PM

You are correct in the "controversial" statement. You will find Nicketti to be many, many people's one link to their Native heritage (I am one of those individuals) thus the controversy. We all have heard the family lore of Indian ancestors but when you get right down to it and search for documentation, you find that most of these stories are just that, stories and unable to be proven. And DNA doesn't do much to help as it has been too many generations for most. My Nicketti link actually routes through my mother's lineage which was in Pike/Floyd counties in KY, just across the WV line. Cabell county WV was named for William H. Cabell governor of VA which was a descendant of this family.

Private User
7/16/2017 at 5:37 PM

Davis' and Anderson's SNP results should get triangulated for cousin-ness and see which ones show up with NA and if they triangulate on the same spot. Should hire a pro to figure it out. If some come up with NA in a haploblock that share the same segments together with the NA cousins who do get the NA, then you guys will know the answer to this mystery. The dna can indeed make a haploblock of info with a chromosome browser. It seems that pedigree of theirs on FTDNA already is in there for the SNP results and maybe they already did traiangulate the results. If so, maybe they will share.

Private User
7/16/2017 at 5:38 PM

ANcestry doesn't triangulate but 23 and Me does. They should spring for it.

7/16/2017 at 5:53 PM

I'm sure G.J. Floyd which is a direct ancestor to the Floyds above will get involved before we are through with this. He is a true advocate for the validity of Nicketti.....

7/16/2017 at 6:00 PM

I'm really not sure where we are going with this as I wasn't involved in your earlier discussions with Erica on this Davis and Anderson discussion you are referring to. Trader Hughes will be a tough one to figure out. We really don't know much at all about him, only legend as is Nicketti. I had always heard he was Scottish/Irish the same as most everyone in the area at the time. My ancestors were the same, escaping the persecution of the mid 1600's

7/16/2017 at 6:07 PM

I'm not clear in the Anderson line. We just however had a productive discussion including the Chief of the Pamunkey, killed in the battle of Bloody Run in 1656, and that he's not Toby West. Riana is suggesting Nicketti was a sister of his.

Private User
7/16/2017 at 6:09 PM

Well, because Obama and Jeff Davis and Chelsea Clinton descend from her and that means the Pros have been through all this. I have no stake in the outcome.

Private User
7/16/2017 at 6:11 PM

Personally, I think she's the daughter of Opitchapum who succeeded Opencanconough and that they called Opitchapum "Necto". That's my take.

Private User
7/16/2017 at 6:14 PM

Oh, And I do know that Goinsville where Capt Hoos was gathering militia was where Ocaneechi lived and they were in the Powhatan Confed even though they were Siouans. It would be quite reasonable that a Kings William princess would be in the Hoos circle.

7/16/2017 at 6:15 PM

Here's on the Jefferson Davis descent from Nicketti:

http://dgmweb.net/Resources/GenLin/Gen-DavisJefferson-Bogus.html

1.  UNTRUE:  That Jefferson DAVIS was the son of Nathaniel DAVIS, who married a child of Niketti, the daughter of Opechananough, brother of Powhatan.
(Edgar Woods.  1901.  Albemarle County in Virginia:  giving some account of what it was by nature, of what it was made by man, and of some of the men who made it.  Michie Co., printers, Charlottesville, VA.  412 pp.)

2.  UNTRUE:  That Nathaniel DAVIS married "Hughes," a daughter of Niketti, and their son, Robert, married and moved to Georgia.  That, later, some of these DAVISes moved to Kentucky, "whence a weanling was carried to Mississippi who later became the President of the Confederate States."
(Nicholas J. Floyd.  1912.  Biographical Genealogies of the Virginia-Kentucky Floyd Families... Baltimore.)

7/16/2017 at 6:17 PM

The source of "debunk" is

Source:  Kirk Bentley Barb.  1971. "Extract from Genealogy of Jefferson Davis."  Appendix III, pp. 488-508 in Papers of Jefferson Davis, Volume 1, 1808-1840.  Haskell M. Monroe, Jr., and James T. McIntosh, eds.  Louisiana State Univ. Press, Baton Rouge.

Private User
7/16/2017 at 6:20 PM

First thing that comes to mind there is that if you put a test in front of Davis and told him he had NA that he would not believe it. I think you should leave it there the Anderson/Davis' FTDNA tree that is in FTDNA gets looked at by a prol. They can hire one through FTDNA as their info is already in there with lots of kit numbers. I personally hope it is true and the the folks saying it isn't turn out to be wrong. That would be awesome.

Private User
7/16/2017 at 6:20 PM

First thing that comes to mind there is that if you put a test in front of Davis and told him he had NA that he would not believe it. I think you should leave it there the Anderson/Davis' FTDNA tree that is in FTDNA gets looked at by a prol. They can hire one through FTDNA as their info is already in there with lots of kit numbers. I personally hope it is true and the the folks saying it isn't turn out to be wrong. That would be awesome.

7/16/2017 at 6:31 PM

:):)

And as I said before, there's something I like about Nicketti as a daughter of Necto / sister in law of the Queen of the Pamunkeys. It's resonating.

But I'm having trouble with Trader Hughes as son of Rice Hooe. Planters were not traders & vice versa that I have seen. When we were discussing Capt. John West, there was original material from Cornelius Dabney, who was, I think, of Huguenot background. That fits, and that he married into the Pamunkey tribe does also, after all he was working for them.

I'll find an article about my (possible) guy, he traveled around interpreting & trading, and he brought his "half breed" son with him. That fits.

What I'm saying is the Rice Hooes family was way too rich to be living in the backwoods running a trading post.

7/16/2017 at 6:39 PM

Well blah, planter & trader

Capt. John Musgrove, Sr.

(i don't think he was from Kent, Musgrove is not that common a name, and my guys (his "cousins but we don't know how") arrived to Maryland from Cumberland).

Now this is a different time, place, tribal grouping, & political environment, so I don't want to over analogize.

Private User
7/16/2017 at 6:52 PM

Ok to all that. Reviewing the Craven Co folks who are supposed to come from Hughes, I can say that the Goinsville Haliwa-Saponi have a lot of those names; personally know the actual triangulation 4 1 1 for the Burnetts and I know which Burnetts tie to Wati; but, the kicker is that the Malungo Town trek bringing their little tiny bit of mtdna from the Goinsville area is the story of every Newman Ridge person; just that they are showing tri -racial instead EXCEPT for the Melungeon Sizemore ...a ydna Sizemore on the Lumbee Family Project and not a gal Sizemore raped by Opecanconough Sizemore. THAt there a Malungo Town trek from Goinsville Hooe doing his militia work is something that for me is too strong of a doc trail to ignore to Niketti. I don't have a problem with Trader Hughes also being a militia leader of the area as a Capt and having a second household because the list of folks serving under him were Goinsville Indian school ancestors.

Private User
7/16/2017 at 6:56 PM

What I do not believe is that Nickettis is the son of Opecanconough. Trader Hughes or militia or Rice Hooe II would not have set up a second house with a daughter of the initiator of 2 major battles against basically his people; but, Opitchapum, yeah, he would have set up a household with Opitchapum's daughter and he would have done it on purpose for lots of reasons.

7/16/2017 at 7:02 PM

Do the dates work? Opitchapum died 1630

https://books.google.com/books?id=555CzPsGLDMC&pg=PA158&lpg...

Jamestown Colony: A Political, Social, and Cultural History By Frank E. Grizzard, D. Boyd Smith. Page 159

7/16/2017 at 7:06 PM

From https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/Opechancanough_d_1646#start_entry

1646 - The English capture Opechancanough on the Pamunkey River. His successor, Necotowance, surrenders to the colonists, and Opechancanough is shot and killed while in English custody at Jamestown.

Private User
7/16/2017 at 7:16 PM

So,, Necto needs a profile and Nicketti is a take off on Necto. Did not know when Opitchapum died.

Private User
7/16/2017 at 7:22 PM

If she married a Capt of miliitia men, she would be super old, so Trader Hughes is not a Hooe.

7/16/2017 at 7:23 PM

https://books.google.com/books?id=mEwmQwdJ5CIC&lpg=PT386&ot...

Destiny Comes on the Wind - The Legend of Opechancanough By James A. Wright

Claims https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necotowance 's genealogy was fabricated by Gov Berkeley.

!!

Isn't Necotowance there as father of Topomotoi? But read the link https://books.google.com/books?id=555CzPsGLDMC&pg=PA158&lpg...

Inheriting as weroance wasn't a straight father > son or even the more usual for matriarchal cultures, aunt > nephew

Private User
7/16/2017 at 7:31 PM

The way I read that is Nectowance is the dad of Totopotomoi. THAT makes more sense. If Necto is the dad of Totopotomoi, we already know Nicketti is mentioned as sister to Totopotomoi. I wonder what Weromicoco State Park's pro's say about this? The Lanholtz'-Moretti study did not take the ydna info into account when stating Cockocoeske's son was the Intirim Gov's son. So, maybe it doesn't matter. But MAYBE they updated their information.

Private User
7/16/2017 at 7:33 PM

Since there are duplicate charts on Nicketti, I should pop all the above in the profile we are building together.

Showing 1-30 of 77 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion