The Jewish community of Balassagyarmat needs our help

Started by Peter Cherna on Saturday, July 22, 2017
Showing all 4 posts
7/22/2017 at 12:16 PM

Hello all. You may know that there are two organizations working to preserve and maintain Jewish heritage in Balassagyarmat, the Balassagyarmat Jewish Community (BGYZSHK) and the Kertész István Foundation. David Deutsch who has been active here and in touch with these organizations has learned that they have lost their public funding under the current political climate, and they are now having difficulty making ends meet on private donations.

The Kertész István Foundation (headed by Mr. Majdan Béla) and the BGYZSHK (headed by members of the Bauer family) would both be grateful for any help you can offer. There is information on how to donate, here:

http://balassagyarmatizsidosag.hu/en/tamogatoink

In my past personal experience, both Mr. Majdan and Mr. Bauer József have both been very gracious and helpful, and seem to have done a lot to preserve our roots, our history, and the graves of our ancestors.

Peter

7/22/2017 at 12:19 PM

Being based in the US and using a small bank, it's hard to for me to send money using international banking transfers (SWIFT/IBAN). I did find and successfully use www.transferwise.com with the Balassagyarmat Jewish Community, and Paypal to the Kertész István Foundation. Feel free to private-message me if you have any questions about that.

7/22/2017 at 1:07 PM

Since there are two organizations, and they both do excellent work, I recommend equal donations to both, for those of you who are willing and able.

7/27/2021 at 5:00 AM

I need help from the Jewish community of Balassagyarmat to correct and to complete the Rabis list in order to include the Rabbi Simon Glattstein who served as the Rabbi of Balassagyarmat during the period 1872-1898. I applied twice to Mr Jozsef Bauier and unfortunately with no response and with no act of the requested adding Rabbi Simon Glattstein to the list.
Rabbi Simon Glattstein son, Wilmos Zeev Glattstein became the Rabbi of Kiraly Helmec.
Appreciate your support in this correction of records.
Menachem Galan (Glattstein)

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion