Sir John Harris - @Sir John Harris

Started by Private User on Monday, August 7, 2017
Showing all 6 posts
Private User
8/7/2017 at 1:36 PM

This person never existed. He could not have a title of Sir since that title only was inherited by the oldest son Sir Arthur Harris after the death of his father Sir William Harris in 1616. The death date in 1638 is actually the date of a Charles City deed naming the daughter of Sgt John Harris, Dorothy Harris mentioning that he was deceased. It is not his date of death.

8/8/2017 at 2:04 PM

Changed the death date to before October 14, 1638
Charles City Shire, Virginia

His title shows as Sgt., not Sir.

Not sure his brother Arthur inherited a knighthood.

Private User
8/8/2017 at 5:21 PM

No, just the title of Sir and the family Coat of Arms and Crest which he embellished with other decorations.

8/9/2017 at 12:30 PM

Looks like Sir Arthur Harris of Creeksea (Kent) was knighted.

I see this on Wikitree but I'm going to try and get the original

Here Lyeth Interred Y Body Of Sr Arthur Herris of Creeksey In Y Countie of Essex Kt Sonne & Heire To Sr William Herris Of Y Same Place And County Kt First Married To Ann Sole Daughter And Heire To Robert Cranmer Of Chepsted In The County Of Kent Esq By Whom He Had Issue Cranmer Herris Kt John Herris And After To Dame Ann Bowyer Formerly Wife To Sr Henry Bowyer Of The Countie Of Buck Knight And Sole Daughter And Heire To Sr Nicholas Salter of Y City Of London Kt By Whom He Had Issue Ann Herris Alice Herris Mary Herris Dorithe Herris Salter Herris Francis Herris Thomas Herris Arthur Herris Edward Herris Willm Herris Eliz Herris

If any prying man here after come, That knowes not who's the tenant of this tomb, Wee'l tell him freely, as our sighes give leave, One, whose religious brest to God did cleave, And that to men just offices discharged And to the pinched soule his hart inlarg'd, One, that though laid in dust, of breath bereft. Like dying Roses sweet distillments left And moulders hoping, from this stone, God may Raise up a child to Abraham, one day.

Who Deceased y 9th day of January 1631 Aetaris Suae 47

Private User
8/10/2017 at 7:41 AM

Yes, that is why he got to embellish the coat of arms of his father with decorations that denoted his own accomplishments, as did his son Cranmer Harris Sir Knight. Cramer only had two daughters and no sons so the peerage became dormant. I thought it may have went to his other son Salter Harris but Burke's Dormant Peerage doesn't show it.

8/10/2017 at 12:23 PM

I think Salter Harris didn't survive, he's not named in his mother's will

Anne Harris

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion