St. Brychan Gododdin, Brenin Brycheiniog - Brychan ab Analach and his thousands of children

Started by Anne Brannen on Friday, November 10, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 11 posts
11/10/2017 at 7:17 AM

I have been putting this off, because the whole tangle is difficult and wicked and Makes Me Sad, but apparently the time has come wherein we must deal.

We have here at present St Brychan and, let's see...6 wives, and 86 children.

Ok, not thousands.

Here are the issues:

Brychan appears in several traditions, and many manuscripts. Different traditions give him different wives and various children.

We have him here as a saint, but he's not, so we should take that out, probably.

The Wikipedia article, which of course is what users hit first if they go looking for information, is, as usual and alas, not very helptul. It doesn't list all the traditions; it says that in Christian tradition he had three wives, and then names them, but it's Ribrawst and not Gwladys who shows up in the sources if you go looking, and anyway Gwladys is Brychan's sister, or maybe his daughter, in the Welsh tradition; it has references to works that are not useful, if they are online and accessible.

Some of the children attributed to Brychan surely existed -- Arianwen, for instance, who was married to Idnerth ab Iorwerth -- St. Arianwen verch Brychan -- but she can't actually be his daughter, since she lived hundreds of years later.

Brychan himself appears to be legendary.

Here is what I suggest:

I suggest we handle Brychan the way we did the Arthurian material; in this case, we can keep ONE Brychan, but label his various wives according to the manuscript tradition they come from: the Welsh, the Breton, the Irish, the Cornish, etc. And label all the legendary people "Legendary," or "Mythological," so that users stop trying to make the genealogical lines make sense.

Then we end up not fighting over to whom the children belong, because we can give each wife all the kids the tradition she is in gives her. If any children show up more than once, it won't matter, because with a few exceptions, they are also probably legendary.

In the case of Arianweh, for instance, we should disconnect her from Brychan, and add in curator's notes explaining that later tradition attaches her to him, but even if he actually existed, he couldn't be her father.

So.

If this is agreeable (and I DO trust you that you will all tell me your objections, if it's not!), then I will indeed need some help.

Menedog . ferch Custennin comes from the Breton tradition.

Banhadlwedd . verch Banadl comes from the Welsh tradition.

Ribrawst verch Gwrtheyrn -- I don't know what her manuscript tradition is, though it looks like she might be from the Cornish tradition

Prawst verch Tudwal -- not surprisingly, given her name, she is from the Welsh tradition

Proistri . of Spain I don't know what tradition she comes from.

Now, we DON'T have Gwladys, who IS his wife, in the Cornish tradition, or Dina, his wife in the Irish tradition.

So.

Is this plan acceptable? And does anybody have access to manuscript traditions, as opposed to all these annoying precis that slam everybody together?

Tagging

Erin Ishimoticha
Justin Durand
Alex Moes

11/10/2017 at 11:19 AM

As far as what I've gleaned from Darrell Wolcott, he does not address any wives of Brychan, and only covers 2 children, son Rhein and daughter Meleri. But I will keep my eyes open if I can help any further.

11/10/2017 at 11:29 AM

Steven Mitchell Ferry -- most useful, in your line, will be figuring out which figures are legendary and which are not.

I gather Wolcott considers Brychan to be Real?

11/10/2017 at 12:15 PM

Anne, I have full confidence in your ability to sort this out in the most logical fashion. Go for it!

And thank you for your efforts. xo

11/10/2017 at 12:17 PM

Amy! That is so sweet!

I myself would have more confidence if I could track down some transcripts.....

11/10/2017 at 4:03 PM

Anne Brennen - I have seen nothing so far that would indicate that Wolcott does not think that Brychan was real. He doesn't seem to have a whole lot to say on him other than as ancestry in a few of his papers. This from "Legendary History Prior to 1st Century B.C." -

The traditional history of Wales usually begins about the time Rome left Britain in the early 5th century AD.  The events told of some families in the 3rd and 4th centuries are considered historic, but we tend to treat all stories about people who lived prior to the first landing of Julius Caesar in Britain as legendary.  Our own dividing line between that which is history and that which is probably legend is the birth of Beli Mawr c. 130 BC.

11/10/2017 at 4:09 PM

Thanks!

8/11/2018 at 5:03 PM

Ahhhh moment...if you look at Bartrum's chart number 27 for Brycheiniog it look's like he is saying that Arianwen is a daughter of Brychan, he being c. 400. This of course is impossible. But if you look closer at the chart, at the numbers assigned, you will see that they are generation numbers. Brychan is at Gen 3, while Arianwen is Gen 14, so 11 generations separate. If we borrow from Wolcott and use a 35 year generation span that would put her at c. 785, an age appropriate mate for Iorwerth Hirflawdd. I don't think Bartrum thought she was a daughter of Brychan, but, of course, I don't have access to Bartrum's finished charts.

8/11/2018 at 5:15 PM

But then again, Bartrum's chart 46 for Powys does label her as Arianwen ferch Brychan, referring back to the above mentioned chart number 27. His dates indicate that he must have known she could not be a daughter to the c. 400 Brychan, so I'm not sure what to think. Was she a daughter of a c. 750 Brychan ?

8/21/2018 at 12:00 PM

Darrell Wolcott charts Arienwen as born c. 495 to Brychan II and married to Idnerth ap Riagath of Powys.

4/1/2019 at 8:44 AM

One of the major problems with all this is that, to a great extent, we are in the Land Of Stuff That Existed In Some Sort Of Reality But Not This One.

But exactly WHO is invented and who had a human body and lived and died -- THAT is almost impossible to disentangle.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion